Buyers World - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What I don't get, is this:

Why not take EVERYTHING that goes into the ARF (covering, etc.) and just not assemble it. Stick it in a box. The box is smaller than that for an ARF, therefore it is cheaper to ship it from China or wherever the ARFs are currently put together. You also save the costs of assembly.

Why the heck is it cheaper to buy an ARF? Why cant kits be dirt cheap? Is it that kits are a "specialty item," fetching a higher price because the target market is willing to pay it? I guess it is competition which has brought the price of ARFs so low, and this same competition doesn't exist in the kit market?

I guess I'm just ranting. I like to build stuff, but I'm on a very limited budget, which keeps me flying SPADs. It would be nice if kits were more practical, is all.

I'm done now.

Ben

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjhind
What I don't get, is this:

Why not take EVERYTHING that goes into the ARF (covering, etc.) and just not assemble it. Stick it in a box. The box is smaller than that for an ARF, therefore it is cheaper to ship it from China or wherever the ARFs are currently put together. You also save the costs of assembly.

Why the heck is it cheaper to buy an ARF? Why cant kits be dirt cheap? Is it that kits are a "specialty item," fetching a higher price because the target market is willing to pay it? I guess it is competition which has brought the price of ARFs so low, and this same competition doesn't exist in the kit market?

I guess I'm just ranting. I like to build stuff, but I'm on a very limited budget, which keeps me flying SPADs. It would be nice if kits were more practical, is all.

I'm done now.

Ben
Without getting on MY SOAPBOX;

I like to build and I do so reguardless of the cost difference... but I beleive that a big reason that these folks can make the ARFs cheaper than 'WE' can build a plane is ... VOLUME.

They get a discount on raw volume of materials and shipping etc. Let's face it when you buy a 50 gallon drum of glue (I'm guessing here) you get a better price than we do when we buy it 1 oz at a time.

The same can be said for covering and balsa - the rest is just business.

The key to me - is that this is a hobby. I do it for pleasure to fill my spare time.

If you are on a tight budget, it is up to you to decide which you enjoy more, building or flying and shop accordingly.

Happy Landings!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #13

Total Props: 57
To me I love building and changing things around if it needs to be. I get my pleasure when I have to create something that is not done or maybe done in very small numbers as my Connie. I find myself interested in unique subjects and what I like none have been done as ARF except for warbirds including couple twin engined light bombers but I highly doubt heavy multi engined aircraft will be done as ARF.
For some reason most guys in north American continent like sports scale planes and warbirds so we see majority of them all around us, nothing wrong with that but what about civil stuff not to much around, that's why I like scratch building large scale airliners, general aviation planes and multi engined aircrafts. I know I'm in minority with my taste of liking but I enjoy what I create and can say that's my creation. I like building kits also.
I guess I'm a builder and not just a assembler
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Any Idea who the company is thats is the manuf of the yaks?? boy do they every have Aeroworks wrote over them lol.. GOOD

Old 02-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Brown
Any Idea who the company is thats is the manuf of the yaks?? boy do they every have Aeroworks wrote over them lol.. GOOD

Absolutely no idea, but my thoughts where exactly the same as yours. Other than the price I think it's just a teansy weansy bit less. Nah it's a whole lot less oh one other thing it doesn't have is the Aeroworks Decal but I am sure someone could make you one if need be
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #16
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Last Decal you see me make
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in