Which Servo's to use for Edge 540? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #1
chevelledude13
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Andris F
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 5
Which Servo's to use for Edge 540?

I just bought an RDT Edge 540T from Racing Devil Hobbies in Vancouver. The 82" wingspan plane requires hi-torque servos. Would my JR 537's be sufficient? I've been thinking I would get Hitec servo's if I need something more powerful, so which Hitec's would be best suited? I'm going to use pull-pull wires for the rudder. How many mA's should my battery pack be? Does anyone have any experience with this ARF? I think this is the same as the Edge 540 sold by RCGuys.com. This is my first big aerobatic plane so I could use some advice. Thanks.
chevelledude13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #2
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
what kind of flying are you going to be doing with this plane? DO NOT use standard 537 servos on a plane of this size except for the throttle. Even if you are just a sport flyer I would run at least 80 oz/in servos in the control surfaces. This is also a safety issue. 17 lb plane hitting something/ someone at 50 km/h = ugly mess.
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:13 AM   #3
David_Moen

I am in the process of putting together a 84" Edge 540 form BME Aircraft. After much consideration I decided to go with Hitec 5945MG servos on all surfaces except the rudder where I installed a 5955TG. No questions about adequate servo power!
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Sparhawk
RCC Contributor

I am: Dan J.
Radio of choice:
14MZ
# of RCs: 10

Minimum's
Ailerons - 645MG
Elevators - 5645MG
Rudder - 5955TG or JR8611A class
Throttle - 537 is ok
Choke (if gasser) - HS81MG

That's what I have in my BME 30% Edge w/ DA50

Spar
MAAC #68159
Sparhawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
chevelledude13
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9303

How many mA's should my battery pack have for these servo's? Should I consider going to a 6 volt pack?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
David_Moen

You are going to get lots of advice on batteries! I would suggest a 6 volt pack for sure. I'm going for simplicity and light weight on mine...1 2100ma, low impedance 5 cell NiMH pack on the RX and a 4.8V version on the ignition. Use good quality switches and fail-safe all your connections by either taping together any servo extension connectors, or eliminating them all together by soldering extensions in.
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
Ramz-to-tha-Z

switches

Whatever your setup may be, make sure you either go with high quality switches or go with 2 switches for the rx and 2 for the ignition. I've seen too many and heard of too many planes going in because of a bad switch. I'm running 4 JR heavy duty switches on my 35% Extra. I'm also running 6V, NiMH, 2000mah batteries....2 on the RX and 2 on the receiver. I'm also running a seperate battery for the smoke pump. It's gonna add a bit of weight but i'd rather sacrafice some weight for reliability.
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
Ramz-to-tha-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen
Use good quality switches and fail-safe all your connections by either taping together any servo extension connectors, or eliminating them all together by soldering extensions in.
If it were me, i wouldn't solder the connections as solder joints are more apt to fail over time and they're a #$%# to take apart!! What i do is use heat shrink tubing and shrink the tubing over connector. This way, they will never pull out. Tape would work too but i prefer tubing....makes for a cleaner install.
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramz-to-tha-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Moen
Use good quality switches and fail-safe all your connections by either taping together any servo extension connectors, or eliminating them all together by soldering extensions in.
If it were me, i wouldn't solder the connections as solder joints are more apt to fail over time and they're a #$%# to take apart!! What i do is use heat shrink tubing and shrink the tubing over connector. This way, they will never pull out. Tape would work too but i prefer tubing....makes for a cleaner install.
What I think Dave meant is that he cuts the servo lead, keeping the fatory connector, and solders the length of wire he needs in between.

There was a thread last year on this.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
chevelledude13
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9303

Thanks for all the great advice so far. I just got the plane today and it is HUGE! I can now see that the regular servo's would be far too small. How do you wire up more than one switch? Do you run them in parallel, or something like that? Also, I bought a used Moki 2.1 for this plane, and I don't know what size prop to start with...any suggestions? How big a fuel tank will I need for this thirsty beast?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in