SE on floats - Water proofing - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21
SE on floats - Water proofing

Guys - just in the process of putting my Somethin' Extra on floats. Still need to do some cross braces and will fibreglass and resin coat the floats, paint etc.

Got looking at it last night and was wondering about water sneaking in at the fuselage / wing joint where the wings slide over the tube against the sides of the fuselage. Also there are the holes where the "J" hooks go and for the aileron extensions.

From a practical point of view, do I need to worry about this or just keep it as dry as possible ? I know that water and balsa don't mix well. Just looking for some 'seasoned' advice.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc_13790001_120.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	29585  
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13
If it were mine, I really wouldn't worry about it. The wing tube goes all the way thru the fuse, so there is no way that water could get into the fuse that way. The J-bolt holes....depends on your landing "style" and the wing to fuselage fit... I'd check it after the first outing and see if any water got in, and take it from there....
You might want to worry about the two servos hanging underneath the wing, if they are water resistant servos you will be okay (for awhile..) if not, expect some problems when (not "if") water gets into the little circuit board. This is from an unfortunate "learning experience" One aileron servo went full up all by itself, and the plane went down in a spin.... The guilty servo had some water, and a lot of corrosion inside......

Your SE looks good on those floats!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne22
You might want to worry about the two servos hanging underneath the wing, if they are water resistant servos you will be okay (for awhile..) if not, expect some problems when (not "if") water gets into the little circuit board.
Wayne - terrific thoughts. I had forgotten all about the 2 servos on the underside of the wing. Certainly something to pay attention to. Thanks again.

Bill
Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13
You are welcome...always happy to help out!!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Bkind
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 2
I have been using a product called Corrosion block on my servo's- receivers- connectors etc for probaly 10 plus years. This was suggested by the local shop at the time. unfortnately hes gone.

I still have a few servo,s and a couple receivers that i sprayed with this stuff 7 or 8 years ago before mounting in a float plane. One was a SE.
The plane became a sub one day ( must have been a glitch ) Rec - servo,s etc were full of water when i got home with the bits.
After a drying out and a new coat of corrosion block i still use these today with no problems or any corrosion. I open them up for a peek every year or so.
I also use vaseline around the wing joints and push rod exits to keep the water out. Just spread some in the joint before flying. works well is cheap and washes off with windex when you clean up the plane for the ride home.
Brian
Bkind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
nick colliopoulos
RCC Contributor

I am: Nick C

Total Props: 0
floats

Hi Bill i have a set of floats like the ones in your photo.I was just wondering what size plane i can put them on.There three feet long.How long of a fuse dose it have to be
nick colliopoulos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkind
I have been using a product called Corrosion block on my servo's- receivers- connectors etc for probaly 10 plus years. This was suggested by the local shop at the time. unfortnately hes gone.
I also use vaseline around the wing joints and push rod exits to keep the water out.
Brian
If anyone knows where we can get something similar to corrosion block, maybe they can chime in with ideas.

Brian - good idea re the vaseline. I was thinking of using some clear silicone around openings for the two weeks each year that I am at the lake, and leaving the wings assembled for that time period, then remove the silicone it when I take the plane apart to come home. But that won't help the servo problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick colliopoulos
Hi Bill i have a set of floats like the ones in your photo.I was just wondering what size plane i can put them on.There three feet long.How long of a fuse dose it have to be
Nick - I am no expert here as this is my first float plane attempt. The floats are actually a Great Planes Float Kit for 40 size planes. I know GP made 3 sizes for .20, .40 and .60 size planes. If you check the GP web site you might be able to find the specs for the float sizes.

Some other experienced float flyers could probably also give you good advice.

Bill
Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Bkind
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 2
Hi Bill Had a look at the can

Heres the web address Made in Canada.
http://www.learchem.com/C.B.Page.htm

Has a link to dealers.

Nick Float lenth is 75% of the fuse lenth. example from prop to end of rudder whatever 75% of this lenth is and you will have no problems.

Brian
Bkind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
dccoop
RCC Contributor

I am: doug c
Radio of choice:
spektrum
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
corrosian block

was over at Ideal Hobbies in Barrie today and Gavin had 4 cans of the stuff.
www.idealhobbies.com
phone 705 725 9965

DC
dccoop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Re: corrosian block

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccoop
was over at Ideal Hobbies in Barrie today and Gavin had 4 cans of the stuff.
www.idealhobbies.com
phone 705 725 9965

DC
Thanks DC - I will follow up !

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in