RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Arune
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Ordering from the USA

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Canada being such a small market, I note that many helis are not available from dealers in Canada...

Looking to invest around $400 in a new bird next spring, I don't really wan t to be limited to only those sold at the LHS - EFlte and a few others. So, a few questions:

1. Freight - how have you found American dealers at charging freight. With books, the dealers at times add far too much to cover shipping costs. The exchange is bad enough right now...

2. I assume that one has to pay duty on RC helis. What rate applies? Does this differ with new or used?

3. I have looked at several brands that seem to offer more. Ideally, I want a new bird that has all the aluminum parts as standard, not as hop-ups. There are a few that fit this criteria.

4. Is it better to buy the bird and also buy a TX seperately? If so, what TX is the least expensive and best general purpose model.

5. Is that TX available in Canada?

6. My womanly mechanical skills are limited and thus a kit seems out of the question. I think I have to have a RTF or ARF, limiting as that might be.

7. I have real problems figuring out batteries and chargers. Right now, I have a Blade CX2 and three Eflte batteries. I am told tha other battereis offrer better performance, but those tend to need a charge, a rather expensive and complicated device. Having looked at teh manual for several I am totally confused. Is ther a charger that would work for my Blade and also for a new bird such as above?

At the moment, the Falcon 400 SE and Raptor are looking like good choices. Or should I go local and get a Blade from eFlite? Oh dear.

Willow
Arune is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: Ordering from the USA

Willow, you might want to move this to the helicopter section to make use of their skills and knowledge. This is a Fixed-wing forum, aircraft such as Piper Cubs get discussed here, not airborne mix-masters (tongue firmly in cheek)....

Also "invest" is not the right term. "Spend" is probably what you're looking to say. One flight and one prang--- money gone, need more money!

To improve your overall mechnical skills (which is totally non-sexual because my g'daughters are better mechanics than I am), I'd hook up with your local helicopter guys and put together a kit with thier assistance. The skills are not difficult, and essentially work out to RTFM and CTFM (read the fine manual and call the fricking manuyfacturer).

WRT shipping in from the States, it really depends upon how fast you want it and how much you're willing to spend.

All RC gear comes under one excise number, and with the NAFTA agreement, it all comes across the border duty free. HOWEVER, depending upon the time of day, how many coffees were drunk so far and the phase of the moon, you'll get stung for customs handling, PST and GST. It's the customs handling charges that can be astronomical for the package and value. Stay away from UPS (Brown) if you're getting it couriered up.

You need to buy a helicopter trnansmitter to get the full advantages out fo the helicopter, which depends upon the helicopter purchased. Again, my advise is to hook up with the local RC club that flies helicopters and see what they're flying and what radios are being used.

Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

First post Lets cut some slack. Check out this link Not sure if this is what you are after or if the price is good. But the shipping will be about 8 days which is a whole lot faster than from the US . http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...roduct=7504.If you go to the link look on the left side of the page for tournigy accucell charger It will charge up to 6s (6cells)in lipo it will also charge ni-cad ni-mh it will even charge your glow plug single cell . very easy to use and its only$39.95 usd I have one so it has to be easy.

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

I have found that USPS (US Potal Service) is the mbest way to get things across the border but I don't know about large packages.

Sometimes if the package is small you don't even pay taxes.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
phattires
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Oct 18th...placed online order with Rons HeliProz South in Texas
and also an order with Hobby Wholesale in Edmonton.
Received the order from Texas on Friday the 24th. I used the U.S.P.S. and had them ship it EMS. $30.50 for a 2 lb parcel.
Wednesday the 29th and still nothing from H.W.

I have placed a few orders with Rons in the past and have always had the items in 6 days. Never experienced a holdup with Customs thus far. No duty , just GST, PST and Can Post handling fee of $8.00

Last edited by phattires; 10-29-2008 at 07:05 PM.
phattires is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
I have found that USPS (US Potal Service) is the mbest way to get things across the border but I don't know about large packages.

Sometimes if the package is small you don't even pay taxes.
The USPS is definitely the way to go. It works very well and is usually pretty fast.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Arune
RCC Noob

Thanks all...

I thought I was in rotary wing! Bad day!

Willow
Arune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in