Float problem - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
mogman
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
DX-18
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 12
Re: Float problem

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Block the floats so that the top of the float is level. Adjust the length of the float struts so that there is about 1.5-2.0 deg. positive on the wing (use an incidence meter)
Most cub/float installations look as if the plane is very nose down, just due to the shape of the fuse etc.
From your photos it looks as if you need to shorten the front struts a fair bit.
mogman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #12
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO335 View Post
You guys really ought to get a copy of "The Compleat (sic) Taildragger Pilot " by Harvey Plourde, read it and learn how these planes planes fly. You'll be doing a much better job after that.

BTW, whoever proof read his book had some problems. Thats why there is the spelling error in the title. Proper word is complete. But that's life. Too late now. Harvey is deceased.
You ARE joking Right?!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
supercub1974
RCC Contributor

I am: Ronnie W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

Just looking at some pics of my old floats and somethings not right with the new setup. I will have to make some modifications tonight.
supercub1974 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #14
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO335 View Post
BTW, whoever proof read his book had some problems. Thats why there is the spelling error in the title. Proper word is complete. But that's life. Too late now. Harvey is deceased.
Much more likely a tip of the hat to The Compleat Angler by Izaak Walton, published 1653
Old 10-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
supercub1974
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7

Found this on the net if anyone else is interested.

Incidence: When the plane is scooting along on top of the water, the wing needs to get enough of a bite of air to lift the plane. So we set the floats in the takeoff attitude ( usually with the tops level) and tweak the wing up with 2-4 degrees of incidence (shown as 0-5 degrees in Fig 1.). If you have a flat-bottom airfoil the actual incidence is from the true leading edge to the trailing edge. So having the bottom of the wing parallel to the top of the float is frequently just about right because the actual wing incidence is different than the bottom of the wing. If your plane has a wing that is curved on the bottom, make sure that the leading edge sits higher then the trailing edge with the tops of the floats level. 3 degrees is really close to 1/2" incidence on a 10" wing. It might be easier to rig the plane if you remove the wing and measure from the wing saddle. Another method for setting the incidence is to set the horizontal stabilizer parallel to the tops of the floats. Sometimes that's easier because many planes have a flat-plate stab and it's easy to set a torpedo level on that to rig the incidence.
IF YOU DON"T HAVE ENOUGH INCIDENCE: The plane will likely refuse to take off unless the water is choppy. Many call this "suction". What it really means is that your float installation sucks. Also, some goober will tell you that you need a bigger engine. You don't, unless your plane won't fly except at Wide-Open-Throttle.
IF YOU HAVE TOO MUCH INCIDENCE: The plane will become unstable during the takeoff run because it rides on the noses of the floats at high speed instead of riding on the step. If this happens, hold a little back-stick on the takeoff run. Porpoising on the takeoff run is also an indicator of too much incidence, and also resolved with a touch of up elevator until you fix the floats.

This is for takeoff but i now get the idea.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #16
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20

I found out from my library that this is a "self published" book and thus hard to get. The spelling mistake is a laugh, it throws everybody off including me when I first started looking.

My library is trying to find a copy.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
supercub1974
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7

After heating and reshaping the wire for the floats I now have 5/8" on the 12" wing. I will give this a try the next fine day we have. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

The maximum achievable takeoff angle is when the A/C is sitting on the main step and the tail end of the floats. Caution big fat water rudders and the brackets that stick down below the stern of the floats will keep the back of the floats from touching the water, reducing the angle. A lot of the full size A/C when you put them in this position will stay there. On a model aircraft eight to ten degrees "angle of attack" is enough. Changing the wing angle will cause in flight trim problems.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
supercub1974
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7

At 5/8" rise on a 12" wing that only gives me maybe 3 degrees? Havn't had the weather to try it out yet.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercub1974 View Post
I think you are right, I should have posted some pics before but seems the nose of the floats are way low. I have a pic with the top of the float level and a pic with the bottom of the wing level.
First of all according to the pictures you have way too much positive incidence on the wing/floats ( guessing at 10 plus degrees). Level the floats (top) and then set the wing at about 2 to 3 degrees positive (depending on airfoil shap) and that will definitely help. When flying ( keep the landing speed up) try landing on the back of the floats and when you touch down then throttle back and the contact with the water will slow you down quickly. Do that and you should have perfect landing pretty much all of the time. I know it works for me .

Attached is an angle measureing tool that would work well but the best one is the Robart Model Incidence Meter. They are still made but almost a "must have" for model airplane buidling, assemby or setup. They are worth a few dollars but worth every penny. I bought mine over 20 years ago and use it all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angle measure tool.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	123522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Robart incidence meter.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	123523  

Last edited by stegl; 10-26-2011 at 11:28 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in