Newbie build list for a 450v2 clone - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Crazycaper
RCC Apprentice

I am: Trevor
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Newbie build list for a 450v2 clone

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
http://www.amainhobbies.com/public_w...omer_id=563064

Just put a list together of things that I should put on the clone and I can see the price is getting close too a regular kit.
I may just keep going with the build as I can always this one as a regular practice copter for when I get into a better system.

Any options out there?

This is just stuff that I gathered from the net so I maybe off with my selections of parts.

Cheers.
Crazycaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22
Re: Newbie build list for a 450v2 clone

I can totally see that you are NEW to helis, my advice STAY AWAY FROM CLONES!! they are cheap to buy but don't fly good at all, AND they are money pits, jusst buy a name brand like Align and go from there.

TRUST ME AND OTHERS!!!
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
Crazycaper
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Hey I may just do that all the parts I bought are suppose to be good upgrades to the align450.
Thanks.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycaper View Post
Hey I may just do that all the parts I bought are suppose to be good upgrades to the align450.
Thanks.
scratching my head here, we told you in the other thread don't buy a clone just buy a RTF kit.
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Crazycaper
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Yes I understand what you said so stop scratching your head,lol.
Listen, I'm breaking into the sport slowly and learning and taking everyone's advice on the best way too approach the hobby. This is why I bought the parts they are a good investment I believe and yes I bought a clone. The reason to learn everything I can about fixing and setting up a heli without the risk of busting a real expensive machine.
From what I read the biggest fault of a clone is the electronics and the radio .
I do plan on a good kit copter as I now got a good radio and good spare parts.
I feel the worse a machine runs the better you get at fixing it while some may get frustrated and give up, I embrace the learning curve and move forward. So when you have a good helo you appreciate it more and can fix any little things that may go wrong without making the same mistakes that one may have made on the clone.
Thank you and everyone for the help all the information is great .
Cheers.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
lead balloon
RCC Contributor

I am: Steve B
Radio of choice:
Jr 9303

Total Props: 8

There's nothing wrong with clones if you know what you are doing. My copterx 450 v2 has probably a thousand flights or more on it and is still going.

That aside, I agree with dashpuppy that they are not a great starter heli. Any 450 collective pitch is going to be a bad choice. They're just too fragile.

Take it from me, I started on a 450 and spent hundreds on parts and had lots of downtime because of crashes on my 450 while learning. I actually had 2 450s at one point; aclone and a genuine trex so I could fly one while the other was broken. That was on top of flying Phoenix daily

I bought a msr fixed pitched and learned way more from it. It taught me hovering in all orientations and simple circuits without costing a bundle to fix. When I went back to my 450s I handled them way better.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #7
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

I flew a coaxle for a couple weeks and bought a sim, I then ordered a .30 size Hirobo Sceadu EVO with O.S..37 and Futaba 2.4 7C . I haven't looked back since, crash???? You bet , but it took til the second season and my third loop to crash. That third loop was at the start of my second flight, it was the one where I learned about idle up and inverted flight.
To each there own on what size and cost is right for you, the catch is what is considered to be of decent quality for safety and for a good long life span. Not to knock this heli at all but when I bought a blade 400 for my first real electric I wore out the bearings in the complete heli and toasted a motor in 3 weeks. How, well I fly lots and I do mean lots that heli had probabily close to 500 flights on it easy but it was shook, you do get what you pay for, so if you want to start and bypass the sim buy a cheapy clone or small Blade heli that way your only out a small amount of coin. If you go big to 450 and beyond without the other options mentioned you'll be out a heli in 1-1.5 seconds your choice clones parts are cheap, life isn't. There is no insult here to anyone , I am trying to explain in one paragraph what we all already know.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

Trevor welcome to RC Canada, enjoy the hobby. If you need help once you get going just ask.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:27 AM   #9
Crazycaper
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Hey, thanks for all the encouragement folks and awesome info. Yeah, I can see why some older fellas say this is a great hobby to keep the brain sharp man I feel like I ve gone back too school only now I'm learning a new passion in life.
My traxxas slash esc went toast in less than a month it's off to texas now and I wore out a motor on my qri quadcopter. Luckily, the parts are all in the mail the worst part is the down time when your this addicted and no hobby shop within 4 hrs.
I have taken folks advice and have a cheap sim that I got online I'm hoping I can get my radio too work with it as I tried a ps3 controller but a mac computer is fussy.
I can t wait to get into building this helicopter man there's a lot of work too do but so much fun. I'm totally sold on the trex 450 dominator but I also like the 250 system too but for the money one might as well jump to the 450 or go blade300 maybe.like jimmy p says.
Cool okay enough rambling .
Thanks again.
Cheers
Trevor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in