Delta-copter - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
eyeinsky
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jerry Kutra

Total Props: 0
Delta-copter

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
New concept Delta-copter AP/AV heavy lifter

-adjustable tail rotor moment
-adjustable main lift motor incident vector
-3 axis dihedral design
-fix base tail rotor with rudder control

Strong nylon clamps secure three main motor mounts. There will be forth connection link through to the centre plate, which will allow for adjustable incidence of main lift motors. This tension will also increase strength by tensioning the truss.

The tail motor has been off set for torque roll and main lift motor a counter rotating. There should be very little force required to yaw the aircraft but that’s the theory

By adding dihedral or angling the prop into the center it will create a intersecting thrust vector, if the ship was to pitched or roll this trust vector will change in relation to G force the high prop will decrease lift component because the angle apposing gravity will increase. The low prop will experience the opposite effect, add all this with some gyro stab that the theory.

The dihedral in the Delta-copter is necessary to reduce the overall dimension of the aircraft. The vector angle will be adjustable and will allow for flight trimming. I hope to achieve inherent stability and reduce the overall width of the aircraft but still maintain manoeuvrability.

Here's some spec.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
eyeinsky
RCC Senior Contributor

Re: Delta-copter

Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Are you going to build it Jerry?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
eyeinsky
RCC Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ View Post
Are you going to build it Jerry?
Built, will test fly soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Emdry
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Emery D
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 20+

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeinsky View Post
Built, will test fly soon.
Should be very interesting. Keep us posted as to the results of your tests. Is this your own design Jerry?

Emery
Emdry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

Jerry from this development, do I sense a dissatisfaction with the previous 2 motor machine? I still can't find much about that design other then over inflated claims by the inventor.
Speaking of new items my new stabilization system came in on Friday. I got the FY-20A, 3 way stabilization gyro. You really should consider this for your new machine. It was tested on tricopters successfully and the FPV community likes it. It is super simple, does not use external sensors and seems to have little or no drift and 3 operation modes. I just plugged it in on easy star and with no adjustments it flew hands off, steady as a rock even with turbulence. But wind was not much this weekend, surprisingly. It is now on my Stryker to really test it's worth. I will do more testing this week but so far I am impressed. I tried the Fly mentor, which is a total crap and tried FMA copilot, on friends plane, that has too many wires and parts and adjustments and results were less then impressive. For AV this looks pretty good but time will tell.
Dan
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
eyeinsky
RCC Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Jerry from this development, do I sense a dissatisfaction with the previous 2 motor machine? I still can't find much about that design other then over inflated claims by the inventor.
Speaking of new items my new stabilization system came in on Friday. I got the FY-20A, 3 way stabilization gyro. You really should consider this for your new machine. It was tested on tricopters successfully and the FPV community likes it. It is super simple, does not use external sensors and seems to have little or no drift and 3 operation modes. I just plugged it in on easy star and with no adjustments it flew hands off, steady as a rock even with turbulence. But wind was not much this weekend, surprisingly. It is now on my Stryker to really test it's worth. I will do more testing this week but so far I am impressed. I tried the Fly mentor, which is a total crap and tried FMA copilot, on friends plane, that has too many wires and parts and adjustments and results were less then impressive. For AV this looks pretty good but time will tell.
Dan
Not at all the nVader is a great set up and plans are still moving FWD high level test will progress soon as I get the USB device I need to mix the roll gyro mixer. This is an improvement to it current operation. I do have some tweak on the Drawing board and will reveal them in time.

The Delta-Copter a design that I had in the back of my brain and I finally moved it to reality.

I am looking at the FY-20A it looks promising, let know you findings.

Jerry
Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
eyeinsky
RCC Senior Contributor

Here's what we learned:

-Original dimension was too narrow to hold roll stability
-Rudder control works but we tilt the tail motor to trim the rudder control neutral at up lift power.
-Dihedral is out for now we will bring it back after we have better flight stability

Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

Just my 2 cents worth, but your nylon motor mounts look a little weak for the load you are supporting. These clamps can twist around the bar and my not supply the needed stability if the motor starts to vibrate or something is out of balance. Has this been a problem?
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
eyeinsky
RCC Senior Contributor

Some more changes to the Delta-copter; rudder is out and vectoring tail in, also hard mounted the main lift motors to the tube frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in