EDF Avro Arrow - Page 11 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #101
pogo
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom Muir

Total Props: 5
Re: EDF Avro Arrow

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I think that represents great value John- perhaps an airframe-only version could be offered as well for those who have their own fan/motor preference. It'll be down the road a ways, but I think I need one of your Arrows.
Tom

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #102
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Talking Re: EDF Avro Arrow

Well, the ducting is made to fit the Hoaye EDF unit and eliminating it from the kit will save the customer only $39.00 and since it is pretty darn good unit, better than the WeMoTec Midi in construction, it's a really value. I purchased over 50 of them wholesale so I got them quite in-expensively, and I do sell them by themselves. I had them at the last years EDF event in Ottawa.

Also, like I mentioned, I sure hope they fly well, otherwise, one heck of a static model. I will put you on the "list" for one though.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #103
ca_fingers
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

hmmm. i foresee some a1 and a p20 in this birds future. hehehe
ca_fingers is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #104
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Well, I had a very frustrating weekend trying to get the mould work started, the darn gelcote refused to co-operate and as a result, I had to strip the gelcote from the plugs three times. All because it wouldn't cure or it developed crinkles. So Monday I went to my supplier and purchased fresh gelcote & hardener. Well, that did the trick. After about 12 years of doing the fiberglassing, this is the first time I had such trouble. Anyway, today and this evening I layed up the fiberglass matt on the first side of both wings and the control surfaces. I even poped the parting boards off of the wing I did in the afternoon. The parting board is made from several pieces and it surprised me when it came off in a single piece.

Tomorrow night I'll be bonding strips of plywood fencing to the outside of the mould so it will hold it's shape and not warp or twist. The I'll be repeating the process to get the other sides done.

Here are pic's of the first sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wing and control surfaces first side moulded up.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	103449   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing plug after parting boards removed.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	103450  
Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #105
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Let the games begin, the bottom side of the wings and control surfaces have been moulded, the parting boards stripped off and the plugs cleaned up. As they sit, I have two coats of wax and two coats of PVA applied. The first coat of gelcote will get applied later this morning. Tonight, if all goes well, the second coat will get brushed on. Saturady is the moulding day and by Sunday night, I'll have wing moulds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ready for the other side to be moulded.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	103562  
Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #106
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Well, it was a happy Sunday for me, I seperated the moulds and got the plugs out in one piece, no damage. The moulds themselves turned out beautifully, I'm very pleased with the results.Just have to smooth up the edges on the moulds with wet sandpaper as the razor sharp edge will cut you and are very easily chipped.

Next is to determine the location of the wing servos and attach aluminum plates to the mould so the servos access hatch will automatically be moulded into the finished product. Also, I have to decide on the locations of the two spars and internal structures. Once that is done, I have to notch the wing root in the moulds so the spars ends will stick out when the internal structure is installed and the top and bottom gets bonded together.

The plywood framing on the moulds has two purposes, it provides a base so the mould doesn't rock around when you are laying up the glass cloth but more importantly, it keeps the mould from warping which is a good thing. A twisted plane doesn't fly straight.

I now have just one small fiberglass mould to finish, the nose boom. It's half done, but I dropped it during the layup and the plug came out of the first half. SO I'll get it cleaned up and finish off the last side.

My next mould, and hopefully, the last one will be a cockpit/instrument panel arrangement. Not a full cockpit though, just for a bust. And it will be a vac-u-form style mould so quite easy to do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Wing Moulds.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	103859  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #107

Total Props: 57

Great news John! I'm so pleased to see you picking up the pace.

What's the WS going to be.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #108
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Wingspan is 38" and overall length less the nose boom is 56".
Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #109

Total Props: 57

Keep at er John! dont let that smaller HK version get you down

Trev
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #110
pogo
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Tom Muir

Total Props: 5

Yeah- ditto what Trevor said, John! Your model is a true scale version designed and built by a craftsman/artist- can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to seeing it at the Ottawa event.
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in