Deleted - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9
Deleted

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What is your experience. I have only ever owned Hobby King and a Century nitro heli. The nitro heli was good but I preferred electric so on to Hobby King. I have had some issues with them out of the box but as far as I can tell they worked out well once I got the bugs out. The experts here tell me clones are junk and not worth the money, my HK600 however has been proving to be that so I'm gradually turning it into a Trex. The metal blade grips are poorly cast or machined, the Main rotor head came broken from the factory it was too well wrapped to be broken during shipping it actually looked like something heavy was dropped on it and then quickly stuffed into the bubble wrap. I have since repaired it but had to rob parts off it because Hobby King is hit and miss on thier supplies. I also have two shippments I have been waiting 35 days for and now don't know if I will recieve them they were things they had on backorder. I'm sure others will have something to say.

Last edited by bensidus197217; 12-22-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Too much attention for a worthless thread
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 4
Re: Those that have had clone experience and then went to brand name

This question is rhetorical.

Yet another thread won't reveal anything revolutionary.

Excuse me for sounding abrupt but, this is beating a dead horse - again...
Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

Okay I see I am not good at starting an interesting thread either. like I was going to do before I'll sit back and let you guys do the driving

Old 12-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

You want to start an interesting thread?

Get yourself a decent machine.

Set it up well.

Put some time on it. Fly the heck out of it. Log on here and tell us why you like it and how you are progressing with your flying skills - not your repair skills.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Re: Deleted

I'm sorry Ben.

Reading what I wrote last night - I'm coming across rude. That's not my intention.

Your obvious passion is great and I should be encouraging that in a better way.

Flying with someone who has just had the light bulb go on with a decent and well set up machine is like watching a kid at Christmas opening gifts. It's my hope you continue to enjoy flying helicopters and find a machine that suits you and allows you to truly develop your flying skills.

There are lots of fellas on here that would like to see the same for you. I don't know everything but, if you have questions you are welcome to message me any time.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
gi1mo2
RCC Contributor

I am: Gilles M
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 18

I actually would have given my thoughts having gone with HobbyKing and Align. I use HK to learn and get comfortable and Trex to really fly. Found out that up to 450, the HK are very good.

I have too many problems with my HK500 to continue with that one. I am looking at a Trex 500 ESP 3G kit. It's over $750 compared to the $67 kit. Electronics brought it up to close to 400. So I would say expect double, but look at the difference also. I would get flybarless Torque Tube with that one. I haven't been able to find reviews on the Trex 500 ESP 3G kit. Wondering if it's worth it.
Plane: F4U Corsair, Extra 300, Hangar-9 Piper J-3 Cub 40, Visionaire, Polaris Ultra, Focke Wulf 190
Micro: T-28 Trojan, Extra 300 3D

Last edited by gi1mo2; 12-23-2010 at 03:46 PM.
gi1mo2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I would like to add a few words myself.

There will always be 2 ends of the RC heli spectrum, the low end economical helicopters and the high end performance machines.

Similarly, there will also be the entry level flier who wants value at low price and the high end flier that wants high performance regardless of price (for the most part..) They know that high performance is directly related to high quality, so high quality is a given

Until the cost of high performance comes in at a ridiculously low price, there will always be 2 schools of thought in the RC heli world. Differences of opinion will ensue. It like matter and anti-matter, with Scotty and captain Kirk stuck in the middle.
Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide what they want. There will always be differences of opinion and no shortage of advice.

Personally, the deciding factor for me is value for dollar. Value pricing is something used in my industry to justify the use of higher cost products versus lower cost products. But an important part of determining value pricing is the user. Ultimately for us heli fliers, it is a question of $ spent versus time in the air.

Low price and high airtime = Good Value.
High cost and low airtime = Bad Value.
Low price and low airtime = Bad Value.
High cost and high airtime= Good Value.

If you crash often, then cost of repair is also a factor
High cost of repair = Bad Value.
Low cost to repair = Good Value.

A similar argument can be made about parts availability. NOBODY wants to sit out a summer waiting for a single part that is needed to get the heli back into the air.

Being able to get parts readily = Good Value.
Parts being hard to find or take a long time to receive =Bad Value.

Controllability is also a factor. This issue is subjective, and even for the same brand (HK being a good case in point) you can get a good tight setup with no slop, or you can get a a bad part that will cause you grief. This is a veritable crapshoot of quality that you take when you buy cheap. You never know what you will get when you buy a low priced copter. On the other hand, a high end manufacturer will almost always be nice and tight giving the flier a silky smooth flier every time
So regardless of the brand,
Good smooth control response= Good Value.
Poor control response= Bad Value.

There are so many more factors involved, but you get the point. We here on the forums can give advice, but ultimately it is the individual member that decides what is and is not good value for themselves.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

Thanks Mark you said what I needed to hear on my post. Wasted space is never a good thing. Max your advice is gold and extremely well worded I will heed what you say it is all true as I'm finding out.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
flycrazy = Darcy Creighton
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Darcy Creighton
Radio of choice:
spektrum dx9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Max .. well typed. There are a lot of different things to consider when purchasing a new heli it. It's a matter of doing the reasearch and making decisions based on what's important for the pilot flying it.
flycrazy = Darcy Creighton is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in