Getting into R/C trucks - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
imported_Newfy

Total Props: 0
Getting into R/C trucks

I am an advide r/c flyer but am getting into off-road trucks, what are some good trucks for me to look for. It has to be nitro!!!!
And if your selling im buying.
imported_Newfy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:46 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
I guess to answer your question you have to ask a few first.

1. How much do you want to spend?

2. What are you going to do with it ie; race or bash

3. What does your LHS stock in the way of kits and parts

We get, from time to time, many people such as yourselves who are looking to buy a vehicle. The biggest piece of advice I can give is to answer those three questions and then look around for stuff in your price range. There are a lot of HPI Savage fans on this page and some Traxxas TMaxx fans as well. Look around and see whats out there u like and then see what guys have to say about them. There are so many choices from so many companies that you could research for weeks. There are 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale monsters, 1/10 scale stadium trucks, its a wide range of vehicles. Then it comes down to bashing over racing. You can buy anything to bash with but if you want to race you may want to look at something you can get specific go fast upgrades.

My only real advice, other that buy a TMaxx is to make sure you can readily get parts for whatever you are going to buy. Its no good to have a truck when you are down for 2 weeks at a time cause you busted something and the LHS doesnt stock parts.

I dont know if that helps you any but I hope it is gonna give you somewhere to start. If you have any questions or want someones opinion especially when buying a Tmaxx just pop back and post and we will be more than happy to help you out
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
imported_lunytune
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James G

When it comes to the Tmaxx or Savage everyone know who will finish the race
mind you the Tmaxx is a little liter its 1/10 scale compared to the Savage 1/8 scale. I find the savage is a little more heavy duty, and some times in a real rough track, its not about speed, but who makes it to the finish line in 1 piece

its good idea to make sure your LHS does supply parts, most of all quality service, and knowledge of the truck you buy!
See who is racing in your area and what there racing, best of all do your research, there is allot of information on all the trucks available today. you just need to find it,

And if you cant laugh when you break it, then maybe you should think of a different sport, cause things are going to break....

Oh and Buy a Savage (hahahaha) that is if you want to finish the race

My photo album
imported_lunytune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
imported_Newfy

I have 3 LHS in my area and they all carry parts for the T-Maxx and Savage, I mostly would like to bash in the pit with my buddies. But you never know a race down the road could be possible but not too likely.

I would like to buy used first and see how i like it. $300 to 450 cnd would be my limit.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
ayk_driver
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew C
Radio of choice:
Old School FM... Futaba mainly
# of RCs: 5+

fozy is dead on... go to ur lhs and see what they stock... i personally am one of the rare maxx fans.... they r fast but a biotch to tune.... ur unfortunate tho... there r like what? 15+ trucks to choose from now? lol... but good luck and i gauruntee u will be happier playin' on the ground than in the air
Old 10-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
imported_Slim
RCC Apprentice

I am: Colin M

One word!!

REVO....

I just recently got into the Hobby myself! My choice in trucks might not have been the greatest at the time (PARTS) but I'm sure glad that I bought the REVO. This truck can take a beating compared to afew trucks that I have seen. Mind you, all trucks have there pros and cons.

Slim
imported_Slim is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:01 PM   #7
imported_lunytune
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
One word!!

REVO....

I just recently got into the Hobby myself! My choice in trucks might not have been the greatest at the time (PARTS) but I'm sure glad that I bought the REVO. This truck can take a beating compared to afew trucks that I have seen. Mind you, all trucks have there pros and cons.

Slim
I was at my LHS last saturday and 3 guys came in (not all at once) with busted revos (now they really bash there trucks) apparently common thing to go is rear shock near the exhaust, apparently the exhaust heats and weekends a part of the shock, not really sure, what part, but I heard that on the revos main web site! allot of people are having this problem,

I hear if you land a revo on its roof the shocks get over extended and break as well
and also the Tie rods seem a little week where it threads into the ballcup?

now I havn't tried one but all this kinda makes me want a wait a bit longer till I buy one!!

My photo album
imported_lunytune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:15 PM   #8
imported_Newfy

most of what i hear around here is T-maxx and savage, the lhs stock parts for these. as for anything else I havent heard of any. Im realy looking to buy used first but that seems real hard to do. Any suggestions??
Old 10-26-2004, 04:19 PM   #9
Jay C.
RCC Expert Contributor

mostly, the reason it is hard to find used trucks is that the owners like the durability VS. touring cars, so they tend to keep them.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:42 PM   #10
ayk_driver
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew C
Radio of choice:
Old School FM... Futaba mainly
# of RCs: 5+

if ur lhs has maxx and savvy part... pick one that u like and go for it....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in