kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18
Rossi DF Engines With a Prop

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a couple of Rossi .81 ducted fan engines. I was wondering how they would run with a prop. Due to the shape of the new cylinder head, I would suspect that there has been a large increase in the stroke. This should mean good torque. These engines look like they are new with very little run time.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110
Re: Rossi DF Engines With a Prop

Not sure what they do to these to make more RPM and HP, bigger carb? since you can alter max RPM by changing the carb throat size?

These have the same bore and stroke.

http://www.mecoa.com/kb/aero/aircraft.htm
http://www.mecoa.com/kb/aero/ductedfan.htm

I was just looking at the 1.00 size.

I would expect you to have a shorter stroke in a higher RPM engine, if all other things were equal.

Hard to say from the photos but that rear mounted carb on the DF version sure looks like it has a bigger intake.

First instinct for me would be to carb it the same as the "aero" version.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

The trouble with DF engines swinging a prop is trying to get a low idle for landing.

Bill

Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
The trouble with DF engines swinging a prop is trying to get a low idle for landing.

Bill
Which leads me to think it has a lot to do with the carb size.
Weather Station
Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
smoknrv4
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jonathan M
Radio of choice:
DX 18QQ
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 55

I've had some experience with this, and it works awesome for speed applications, with the proper CARBON FIBRE Prop, very clean airframe and patience. DF engines are high timed, usually an exhaust duration period per stroke of 180 degrees or more so you must get them into their "happy" running Rpm by prop trimming a header length. Those DF engines in that size range, .80-1.00 ci, usually like to run about 20-22000 peak rpm on the ground. So you need to aim for that with the prop. Then you have to install it on a clean airframe so the drag isn't too high in the air to allow these engines to unload properly in the air to their "happy" rpm, otherwise they just overheat and run like crap.
These should never be run with regular glass filled nylon props to these rpm's because the tips wil break off and that's dangerous, you can get away with wood props for tuning, that are tight grained, but they are not ideal for actual flight. With the OS 91 VRDf I have played with, I use a home made continuous strand carbon fibre prop moulded after a APC 10x10, with the diameter only 9", so it's a 9x10, other sizes that work good are 8x12, 8.5x 12.5, or there abouts. Needless to say props for these are hard to come by and can be purchased with a little research, people do make them.
There is a photo of a good example of airframes that are clean enough for these engines.
Hope I haven't bored anyone.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	189989  

Elgin Flyers, St. Thomas, Ontario
Maac#45310
smoknrv4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
smoknrv4
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX 18QQ

I've had some experience with this, and it works awesome for speed applications, with the proper CARBON FIBRE Prop, very clean airframe and patience. DF engines are high timed, usually an exhaust duration period per stroke of 180 degrees or more so you must get them into their "happy" running Rpm by prop trimming a header length. Those DF engines in that size range, .80-1.00 ci, usually like to run about 20-22000 peak rpm on the ground. So you need to aim for that with the prop. Then you have to install it on a clean airframe so the drag isn't too high in the air to allow these engines to unload properly in the air to their "happy" rpm, otherwise they just overheat and run like crap.
These should never be run with regular glass filled nylon props to these rpm's because the tips wil break off and that's dangerous, you can get away with wood props for tuning, that are tight grained, but they are not ideal for actual flight. With the OS 91 VRDf I have played with, I use a home made continuous strand carbon fibre prop moulded after a APC 10x10, with the diameter only 9", so it's a 9x10, other sizes that work good are 8x12, 8.5x 12.5, or there abouts. Needless to say props for these are hard to come by and can be purchased with a little research, people do make them.
There is a photo of a good example of airframes that are clean enough for these engines.
Cheers

Maac#45310
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
smoknrv4
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX 18QQ

Sorry about the double post.

Maac#45310
Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
pianodude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: John H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 7
Talking Re: Rossi DF Engines With a Prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknrv4 View Post
Cheers
I want one!
pianodude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
smoknrv4
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX 18QQ

You need one John! LOL

Maac#45310
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoknrv4 View Post
....Hope I haven't bored anyone.
Cheers
Heck no! Not even close to boring. Interesting to see what you have done with a "non-standard" application. Nice to have the advice about props too, may help somebody avoid frustration or worse if they want to use this type of engine.
Weather Station

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in