Trex 550e FBL build question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 01-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
JohnnyO83
RCC Apprentice

I am: John H

Total Props: 0
Trex 550e FBL build question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys,

I'm building a Trex 550e V1 FBL. On the inner race of the swash plate there are 4 ball links. Opposite to one another, 2 of the ball links are shorter and 2 of the ball links are longer. To which set of ball links do I attach the mixing arms?

Also, what is the best way to mount the ESC? The manual shows a picture of the ESC mounted horizontally to the right side of the frame. However, the holes cut into that area of the frame are diagonal slots. Should the ESC be mounted diagonally with the hook and loop strap? I'm worried about it slipping out. I have some Align, mounting gel, but Im not sure if that will block up the heat sink too much

Thanks,

John
JohnnyO83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Don I.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

Total Props: 46
Re: Trex 550e FBL build question

Those balls are two slightly different sizes. The ones to the swash driver are the shorter ones and the others are the ones that go to the grips. You can mount the ESC with tape or Velcro, which you can get at most LHS's in small quantities. In addition to the tape, use a pair of cable ties that will hold it tight to the frame. Don't rely on the tape or Velcro alone to hold it in place on the side. That is where I mounted mine on both of my 550's. I found that it worked best on the right side of the frame, not the left. It will get lots of air for cooling as it will be just outside the canopy. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
JohnnyO83
RCC Apprentice

I am: John H

Total Props: 0

Thats excellent. Thanks Don! I'm assuming that the swash drivers that you speak of are the black plastic mixing arms with Align written on the side in silver. The kit came with some sticky mounting pads. I will use one of them and mount the ESC horizontally so that I can get a tight wrap on it with some additional hook and loop velcro. WHy they made those holes in the frame diagonal is beyond me. I think the V2 kit came with frames that had horizontal cut outs instead.
JohnnyO83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Don I.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

Total Props: 46

Mine were V2's and the frames were still diagonal cut where the logical spot to mount the ESC was. It may have changed, since, but I think it was done on aftermarket frames and not on the factory units. I bought a set of 2mm frames as an upgrade for my 3D version of the 550 but they were destroyed in a flaming hole in the ground crash. I can't even remember who made them. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in