Throttle control rod on gas engines with CDI - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
bugsmasher
RCC Contributor

I am: P P

Total Props: 4
Re: Throttle control rod on gas engines with CDI

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The spring load seems way too high for the servo so I'll see about disconnecting it. Thanks guys for the info.
bugsmasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
hellflyer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Andy K.
Radio of choice:
jeti
# of RCs: 8+

I wouldn't unscrew the stop completely as the butterfly then stops on thecarb bore and will ware it causing a gap and then it will let air past and cause erratic idle .just back itoff till it stops moving then 1/4 turn back.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
JSUTHERLAND8
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John A. Sutherland
Radio of choice:
JR, SPEKTRUM, FrSky, Turnigy
# of RCs: 53

Total Props: 0
Ontario Re: Throttle control rod on gas engines with CDI

The throttle spring on most new gasser's is too strong, but a small bit of spring action will help stop vibration. Ball joints are ok and will pop off in a crash, sometimes saving the servo. Avoid moving metal to metal contact at the engine. Glass fill composite engine mounts are better at reducing vibration noise, than metal mounts. Lock washers, lock nuts or nylock nuts on all bolts can help stop loose harhware problems. Thread lock, like lock-tite is a good thing to use too. Use a independant battery pack for CDI and RX, if possible. Most CDI's do not like < 4.8 volts, so 1.2v x 4 cells, NiCads need to be at peek charge. NiMH have a bit better voltage, at 1.25 volts x 4= 5volts.
A 2 cell LIPO pack and a BEC will keep a solid 5 volts for the CDI.
This is the new baby, HK ET-20, 20cc, dual ring, rear carb, with CDI, muffler, mounts, and hardware, all for $ 160 + 30 S&H. Ready for a first run with 32/1 oil mix, and a 14x10 prop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4977c.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	109160   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4888cl.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	109161  
JSUTHERLAND8 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
bugsmasher
RCC Contributor

I am: P P

I reduced the tension on the spring but kept it attached. As for the CDI I was planning on going with a independent 5 cell NiMh pack for 6 volts instead of 4.8 I read that this works better.
bugsmasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
VA6WGO
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Will
Radio of choice:
Futaba 32MZ
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 15

I have been using gas engines for quite awhile and these are the rules I follow.

1- Don't use a cheap servo, use a servo that provides decent torque and it's fast e.i Futaba 9402 or equivalent. Don't use standard slow, cheap servos. Not worth it.

2- Don't use a 6V battery pack in the ignition, it doesn't work "better", in fact in most cases you need a regulator to drop the voltage down or bellow 6V. Either stay with the 4.8V battery pack or use a lipo setup and a decent regulator so you can drop the voltage bellow 6V.

3- I use ball links in both ends with a titanium push rod. I also use a washer between the bolt head and the ball link to avoid the ball link from "coming out". I am not concern about a ball link coming apart in a crash.

If I crash, I will be braking way more than just a servo.

Cheers,

Will
Falcon Props
VA6WGO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #16
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Any of you guys find ball links a little tight? When I have used them in the past, the servos always want to "hum", never seem happy! Have tried snapping them on & off many time to try to loosen them up a little but rarely works.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #17
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

I'm with Will, Throtle is a very important feature. Have you ever tried to fly a 38lb bag of crap at 1/4 throtle, because of a cheap servo! $1600 Airframe, and a $16 servo. Time for a head shake.
Sorry boys just my opinion.

-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in