RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
allicedout
RCC Noob

I am: Hem P

Total Props: 0
Lipo Battery and charger

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey everyone, back after a long time being out of the hobby. I have recently purchased an Arrma Granite for bashing around. The truck has been bullit proof so far and I think I would like to upgrade the NiMH to Lipo. I don't know anything about Lipo and would like some opinions on something mid range price wise for a battery and charger. What kind of run time can I expect to get and what do I need to know about charging and maintaining Lipo's? Lastly is there any issue running lipo's in the snow/water?

Thanks!
allicedout is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
scaccima
RCC Junior Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mario S.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX4C
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Re: Lipo Battery and charger

Welcome back!!

I myself have recently switched to lipos. Because of winter, I haven't made any runs so I can't speak as to the run times.

For a lipo battery and charger, I picked up these:
http://hobbyhobby.com/store/product/...se-Deans-Plug/
http://hobbyhobby.com/store/product/...Balancing-LCD/
As for running lipos in snow/water, my understanding is as a general rule, lipos don't like water. You will have use some sort of sealant around the wires as well as the battery case itself to prevent any water from getting inside the battery itself.

Cheers,
Mario
Old 01-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
underserviced
RCC Apprentice

I am: Chris W.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum, Flysky
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2
Re: Lipo Battery and charger

Lipos are definitely different. Spend a little time on Youtube to understand balancing cells, why the batteries puff when drained to low, what happens when you put them in water and why you don't ever want to charge your batteries without putting them in a lipo bag. You'll also get a chance to understand the C ratings and why the might or might not matter much to you.

You'll also get a chance to see the difference between 1-6 cells, although I suspect you're looking between 2-3 cell.
underserviced is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in