Thick oil from exhaust - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
MARAUDER46
RCC Noob

I am: ROBET D
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Re: Thick oil from exhaust

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hi all, thanks for all the great information, i'm still trying to navigate my way around this site, but i did look at my engine and it says O.S. 46? and another says O.S. 55? another says O.S. 46 also, and my big piper cub 4stoke black knight i'm not sure what that is but i don't plan on being able to fly that this year,,, i have looked on youtube for setting the needle, and i have determined the best way is to mount the engine on a work stand outside and run it set it that way, not sure if this is the best way, but until i have time off from my workS, then i'll have to rely on youtube and what i get to read on here,

thanks everyone
robert
MARAUDER46 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #12
MARAUDER46
RCC Noob

i need a flight simulator. i'd like to get one asap. do they make one that gets hooked up to a PLAY STATION 3? either way, i need one so i can learn.
thanks everyone
robert
Old 08-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49

Hi Robert

You have an RC club right in SSM. I encourage you to look them up. Clubs are a great resource. The guys are friendly, knowledgeable and always willing to help out. Do you know their location?
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Cecil Marshall
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Cecil M
Radio of choice:
FUTABA
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1

Frank:
He's been on our website!
Today I sent him an e-mail with my ph# and offered to help him get started!
I haven't heard from him yet!
Time will tell.
MAAC #11945L
IMAC #3709
Instructor Soo Modellers
Cecil Marshall is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Marshall View Post
Frank:
He's been on our website!
Today I sent him an e-mail with my ph# and offered to help him get started!
I haven't heard from him yet!
Time will tell.
Good follow up Cecil. Give him time, it's a big step for some to go to a club, new people and all.
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #16
MARAUDER46
RCC Noob

it actually is a big step in many ways, i'll just source out a flight simulator and run that every spare moment until i'm confident enough to leave the ground, working two jobs and not usually home during daylight hours lately makes a simulator a good idea.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #17
MARAUDER46
RCC Noob

imagine it like this, 15 year old kid going to highschool, and working a job after school, who doesn't have his drivers license yet, and is driving a beaten up old chevette, wanting to bring his car to a car show and do hot laps on a track, of course he has alot against him,,, so i'll practise up on a simulator (soon as i can figure out which one to get), and in my back yard and random parking lots until i get my confidence and then i'll be there no problem, and yes i'm very patient but i can't wait to get into it to a flyable level!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #18
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Don't be hesitant to ask for help. Believe me when I say that Cecil and the rest of his club would be more than willing to answer any questions. I've been up there a few times, most recently a few weeks ago, and they welcomed me to fly at their field. Very friendly and accommodating and likely thrilled to see someone new enter the hobby.

You will generally find it harder on your own and in most cases any problems you may encounter have already been solved. You just have to ask. You'd be surprised how fast something can be shown first hand compared to trying to describe and form a picture in your head.

Having an experienced set of eyes look over your craft can find things you may have missed, (and yes, it's also true for any of us regardless of the number of years we've been in this hobby).

So, the short answer is don't feel embarrassed to show up at the field with what you may consider a "Beater". We've all started at the beginning and I personally feel something with wear and tear, (proof that it has some flights under the wings/rotors, etc.) may prove safer than a lot of the nice and shiny gear offered today.

As for your original question, it may be hard without more specifics to narrow down an answer. The reasons can be numerous, such as the condition of the engine prior to storage, method of storage and even what fuel you are using now.

Regardless of much of that, what you may think of as heavy contamination may simply be a normal process. You generally will get some black effects with a new engine or one that has been in storage as this can be a sign of parts fitting together or cleaning out corrosion, (this is NOT so good). In fact, you generally will lose the first glow plug or two as this can contaminate and quickly kill the glow elements.

As common as deciding which is the best beer or dishwashing detergent, there have been and are ongoing arguments over the following, but having been repairing engines for 3 decades I've found what works for me. You will find that newer synthetic lubes are less messy and easier to clean. However, the castor oil that was all we had when I started, (and still available today) provides superior lube in the case of a lean fuel or overheating condition. I run a mix of the two in my fuel so live with a bit of clean up at the end of the day.

Last edited by Cougar429; 08-20-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #19
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

Yep, everything they said. One crash will happen and pay for the MAAC and club membership to the club. Anyway there is a FMS flying model simulator. I downloaded a much older version of this years ago, and it was kind of ok. I bought a two stick joystick for just the regular computer and it worked fine. http://www.modelsimulator.com/ You get used to the slime. An exhaust extension may help a bit. You have some good motors there. Just don't set them too lean and things will be ok.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #20
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARAUDER46 View Post
imagine it like this, 15 year old kid going to highschool, and working a job after school, who doesn't have his drivers license yet, and is driving a beaten up old chevette, wanting to bring his car to a car show and do hot laps on a track, of course he has alot against him,,, so i'll practise up on a simulator (soon as i can figure out which one to get), and in my back yard and random parking lots until i get my confidence and then i'll be there no problem, and yes i'm very patient but i can't wait to get into it to a flyable level!
I see potential for a bit of trouble here! Any model plane with a .40 size engine is not suited for backyards and parking lots! Not near enough room. Now you have given the 15 year old kid a race ready Corvette to learn to drive in that parking lot. There is going to be bent light poles, angry shoppers and a lot of shrapnel!

Get that flight sim and do your best to get together with Cecil, both of them will save you so-o much grief and money in the long run!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in