davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110
Re: Identity of O.S. .25

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
I wonder if there is a chemical way of stripping the blue off. Sandblasting seems harsh. I have a used .46 LA that is very black on the head too. Looks like it has run hot too. Might just be burned on stains from leaky carbs and mufflers too.
That was my impression. Burned on fuel/oil. Other motors did not seem to get so hot that it burned it on.

Maybe glass bead would clean it off without going too deep. That's what we use for aluminum in the aviation industry. I guess it is anodize coating so chemicals would not take it off.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Lake Flyer
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: To

Total Props: 5

Boy I go away on holidays and there are lots of replies when I get back. Thanks for all the advice guys. Being I just want a sport engine I'll probable look for an FSR as my first choice and the LA as my second.
Dave
Lake Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

If you do find one of those old baffled engines be advised that you will ruin it in short order on the modern fuel. It was designed to have a lot more oil, castor to be specific.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

I had a couple of OS 25 FP way back when. They were bushed engines and were common before the LA version. Much better quality and you couldn't kill them. Since been sold after going electric.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #15
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Flyer View Post
Boy I go away on holidays and there are lots of replies when I get back. Thanks for all the advice guys. Being I just want a sport engine I'll probable look for an FSR as my first choice and the LA as my second.
Dave
I have the O.S. .25F ABC, a slightly higher powered version of the O.S. .25FSR and can attest that these are very powerful yet docile and long lived engines.

According to O.S. the FSR has an output of .7 hp at 16k, the F ABC version .8 at 18k, the plain bearing .25 (that you have) comes in at .4 hp at 14k and the LA is rated at .59hp at 15k.
The FSR and F ABC crankcase is a millimeter wider at the mounting tabs than the plain bearing .25 and weighs about 40 grams more. The recommended prop range is wide, from 9.5x5 to 10x6.

On U.S. r/c forums the FSR version in nib or "nearly new" has an asking price of $60; used at $45.
I've not seen the F ABC, so labelled, come onto the resale market; this may because few were made or because of confusion as the engine itself is only stamped as .25F, while the rear cover has the model number (?) 2607 and the box and instructions are labeled F ABC version.

good luck,
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #16
Riverdancer
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Total Props: 7

Good Day. Nice to see the old motors. I had the enya's at that time. Plastic bead media does a nice job of bringing the finish back. Cheers
Riverdancer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #17
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Flyer View Post
Dave
Hi Dave,

Here's a used but apparently very good condition OS .25 FSR r/c engine for sale on another forum for $45; no way to tell from the photo whether it is an ABC version but the photo is definitely of one of them.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2255712

good luck,
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #18
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

Since we are beating this thread to death, there is a Magnum or ASP .25 that sells for about $50 too. BB and true ABC. The Magnum would have a better warranty than the ASP, but it is the same motor. I would guess that it has more power than the LA .25 and about equal to the FX or AX .25.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in