General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 84
MAC Mag delayed

All - (or at least those that will see this)
The February issue of Model Avaition Magazine has been delayed for delivery due to the time required to prepare the financial reports required to be published in advance of MAAC's AGM.
As best as we can tell at this time (expected arrival date of the material) the majority of members should see the magazine by February 17th ... sorry for the delay - but this one's out of my hands!
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Keith,

Thanx for squelching the inevitable fire, for now.

I don't think I could read through another post about "where's my MAAC magazine?" "why isn't it here?"

Guys should spend more time building and less time worrying about such things and then when they aren't looking it will show up.
JMHO!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Ok where is our darn maac mag

J/K

Thanks Keith for letting us no

RB
Old 01-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy
I don't think I could read through another post about "where's my MAAC magazine?" "why isn't it here?"
No problem Jim,
Over the past year I have put an effort into improving the timely delivery of the magazines ... and a situation like this certainly doesn't help that. In past years the magazine has been published without the accountants review information, but MAAC has decided to include the info as a part of operating more transparently... unfortunatelly, that means MAC is delayed in the process.
That said, I kind of like the posts here that show me what the distribution times and irregularities are like.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Late Mag

I understand the problem is not due the magazine publisher, but due someone's report/article being late.

I was just wondering, why not publish the magazine anyways and have the report in the next issue? There must be a reason, does anyone know the reason?

The only concern I would have, that is, if I was the editor, with a late delivery, would be regarding any time sensitive ads or events that may be published in the magazine.

Which raises another interesting point - should the advertisers have to pay for the ad if the mag is late?

The delivery date is not a problem for me, but I was just kinda wondering about the above.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

Re: Late Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MIller
I understand the problem is not due the magazine publisher, but due someone's report/article being late.

I was just wondering, why not publish the magazine anyways and have the report in the next issue? There must be a reason, does anyone know the reason?

The only concern I would have, that is, if I was the editor, with a late delivery, would be regarding any time sensitive ads or events that may be published in the magazine.

Which raises another interesting point - should the advertisers have to pay for the ad if the mag is late?

The delivery date is not a problem for me, but I was just kinda wondering about the above.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
All of the advertisers were advised that the issue was delayed, and the deadline for ad material was similarly delayed.
The 'report' that is holding up the magazine is the financial audit report that is a part of the *extensive* AGM package that is included in the February issue - which is why the magazine is being held.
Most magazine advrtising agreements have a clause that protects the publisher for late delivery - but if I were months late getting to press I think I'd have a hard time getting my money.
I have gone to press without some specific zone or committee reports that were 'promised' adn in fact some zones are regularly late with their content and risk exclusion in every issue.
Ultimately, I often find myslef re-designing the magazine in the last minute regularly as I really beleive that the members in these SIGs or zones deserve to get the reports that are submitted.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
If the mag was only intended for the entertainment of the members Im sure it would never be late, Canada Post allowing.
However all corporations by law must inform their members of basic information having to do with zone and annual meetings,finances,resolutions,etc etc,and this is our vehicle for doing so.........and no it cant (yet) be replaced by an online version again by law.........
The Feb issue is the last one before the AGM for which a lot of the information above must be sent to the members and any input that is late for good or bad reasons will affect delivery times.
Any emergencies that must be covered by information in the magazine will cause the executive to tell our long suffering editor to "hold the presses" and there happens to be one right now which you will soon hear about.
Im a fan of the mag myself and look forward to getting it...........look back a few years at an old copy and see just how far Keith has brought quality since he took on our contract.......
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303

Delay understood

Hi,

I don't quite understand why the information/report was not sent and available to the magazine publishers well before the deadline. The deadline must have been published and information requested well in advance by both MAAC and the publisher - the people assembling the information/reports must have known the delay would cause a hold up.

It makes sense to me that all members should be updated before the AGM, and therefore I can understand the reasoning to hold the magazine until the information is available.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 01-24-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

Re: Delay understood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MIller
I don't quite understand why the information/report was not sent and available to the magazine publishers well before the deadline.
The finances that are being audited are for the 2005 buisness year, which is the same as the calander year. The office has to wait for the december statements to come in, and has to reconcile the books before bringing in the accountant to audit.
I years past, this has not been done until shortly before the meeting ... This year the process couldn't even start until 2 weeks past the deadline for materials, although we did reserve the space for the report.
The option would be to allow the magazine to be printed on time and send out a special mailing to the members (at about $20,000) ...
In any case, I didn't want this to become a big long discussion, more just a quick note about the delay.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the info.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in