Safety-this should draw a crowd! - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #41
prefontaine
RCC Contributor

I am: corey p

Total Props: 3
Re: Safety-this should draw a crowd!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyeh View Post
I will usually stay out of these arguments , but i just cannot sit back this time . Is your condo complex on the edge of a field , or is it surrounded by other developments with a park or similar green space nearby ? What if you were walking across the parking lot with your child , and the airplane hit your child causing severe injury or death , would you still shrug it off , or would you be on a head hunting mission and pick the first available target to place blame ? Who do you suppose that target would be , if there was a flying field nearby , whether the plane belonged to someone there or not , with no VIN number , who could you pin the incident on ? Or would you simply lay blame on the club in general because " it HAD to have come from there " !! I see all too often ( and i know some of them ) the "cowboys" who don't feel that they should pay the $75.00 per year for MAAC , because they feel it is an unnecessary cost . Hell , i know people who spend more than that on green fees every time they go golfing , yet feel that it is too much to pay to just be able to fly their "toy" whenever they feel like it . I understand where the mindset comes from , i just don't agree with it is all . Anyone who has ever seen a plane fly away uncontrolled understands the reason to have coverage , those that haven't struggle with the idea . It may not be your "fault" so to speak , but things do happen , and when they do , you had better be prepared for the outcome , mentally , and financially to take care of it the proper way . Or you could just say "what the hell" and walk away with only your conscience to remind you of the incident . That is .........if you have one ?

the nexstar wasnt mine, I just found it smashed on the ground.

Sorry but Im not going to pay MAAC when I fly in a field in the middle of nowhere, call me a cowboy or whatever you want, IF the plane flys away uncontrolled it is going to have to fly pretty damn far for it to hit anything, none of you have seen where I fly so who are you to tell me its unsafe to fly there. what good is a MAAC membership going to do me??

as for if a plane hit my daughter, obviously Im going on a head hunting mission, that doesnt mean Im going to find the person responsible does it??
prefontaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #42
hellyeh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Gerald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 13

Quote:
I will usually stay out of these arguments , but i just cannot sit back this time . Is your condo complex on the edge of a field , or is it surrounded by other developments with a park or similar green space nearby ? What if you were walking across the parking lot with your child , and the airplane hit your child causing severe injury or death , would you still shrug it off , or would you be on a head hunting mission and pick the first available target to place blame ? Who do you suppose that target would be , if there was a flying field nearby , whether the plane belonged to someone there or not , with no VIN number , who could you pin the incident on ? Or would you simply lay blame on the club in general because " it HAD to have come from there " !! I see all too often ( and i know some of them ) the "cowboys" who don't feel that they should pay the $75.00 per year for MAAC , because they feel it is an unnecessary cost . Hell , i know people who spend more than that on green fees every time they go golfing , yet feel that it is too much to pay to just be able to fly their "toy" whenever they feel like it . I understand where the mindset comes from , i just don't agree with it is all . Anyone who has ever seen a plane fly away uncontrolled understands the reason to have coverage , those that haven't struggle with the idea . It may not be your "fault" so to speak , but things do happen , and when they do , you had better be prepared for the outcome , mentally , and financially to take care of it the proper way . Or you could just say "what the hell" and walk away with only your conscience to remind you of the incident . That is .........if you have one ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefontaine View Post
the nexstar wasnt mine, I just found it smashed on the ground.

Sorry but Im not going to pay MAAC when I fly in a field in the middle of nowhere, call me a cowboy or whatever you want, IF the plane flys away uncontrolled it is going to have to fly pretty damn far for it to hit anything, none of you have seen where I fly so who are you to tell me its unsafe to fly there. what good is a MAAC membership going to do me??

as for if a plane hit my daughter, obviously Im going on a head hunting mission, that doesnt mean Im going to find the person responsible does it??

I read your post carefully , you should do the same with mine .
I KNOW the Nexstar wasn't yours , you found it in the parking lot of your condo all smashed up . Where do you think it came from ? You are right about MAAC not doing anything for you , why should they if you aren't at a proper flying site ? There are a couple fields in the Edmonton area if you are so interested . It's nice to be able to fly and BS with people of a similar interest . You may also be privvy to good deals and alot of knowledge from the other members as well , just as a bonus . Your comment about the airplane having to fly "pretty damn far to hit anything" just shows your ignorance . They CAN and DO fly pretty far on their own in the right situation !! I hope nothing ever happens to you , or your daughter , but it would be much better to fly at the proper location is all i'm saying . Right now my club is looking for a field to call our new home , as we lost our old one due to the city growing around us , so i understand the need to be able to fly . I currently drive 1 hr. each way to the nearest club field to fly almost every weekend . Is it ideal , far from it , but it is the right thing to do . I miss the days of being able to go for a flight or two after work on the weekdays , but i will just have to pacify my addiction with weekend use only . It sucks , but that's the way it goes sometimes .

Last edited by hellyeh; 09-05-2008 at 07:02 PM.
hellyeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #43
prefontaine
RCC Contributor

I know there are clubs in edmonton, but like I said before with work and a young family I dont get to fly often enough to join a club just yet, so I fly at my buddies parents farm, he lives on the property too with his girlfriend which happens to be my girlfriends really good friend, so its a win win situation for me, the warden doesnt * and moan about being bored because she is hanging out with her friend too, and I get to fly. I leave them there too in his shop so no hanger rash from transporting them to and from a field everytime I want to go fly, just fire it up in the shop and go out and fly, its good in the winter when your hands are numb from flying.

I also know that the planes can fly pretty far it you loose signal, but it is unlikely. accidents happen and whos to say that if I am at a MAAC or AMA field me or my daughter aren't going to get smoked by a plane there, if anything your chances are far better at a field with a bunch of planes in the air then at the farm where I fly and at the most there is 3 planes up but that is rare, it is usually just me, his pops is there sometimes when hes not working on the farm. I understand that it is better to fly at a proper field but I am going to continue to fly where I fly for now. the wifey gets to see her friend so she is happy and I get to fly.

happy wife = happy life

Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #44
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
I read your post carefully , you should do the same with mine .
I KNOW the Nexstar wasn't yours , you found it in the parking lot of your condo all smashed up . Where do you think it came from ? You are right about MAAC not doing anything for you , why should they if you aren't at a proper flying site ? There are a couple fields in the Edmonton area if you are so interested . It's nice to be able to fly and BS with people of a similar interest . You may also be privvy to good deals and alot of knowledge from the other members as well , just as a bonus . Your comment about the airplane having to fly "pretty damn far to hit anything" just shows your ignorance . They CAN and DO fly pretty far on their own in the right situation !! I hope nothing ever happens to you , or your daughter , but it would be much better to fly at the proper location is all i'm saying . Right now my club is looking for a field to call our new home , as we lost our old one due to the city growing around us , so i understand the need to be able to fly . I currently drive 1 hr. each way to the nearest club field to fly almost every weekend . Is it ideal , far from it , but it is the right thing to do . I miss the days of being able to go for a flight or two after work on the weekdays , but i will just have to pacify my addiction with weekend use only . It sucks , but that's the way it goes sometimes .
I get the indication that you are just a little bit jealous of our freedom to fly way out in uninhabited farmlands. If you want to live and fly around the urban sprawl areas (your choice),then you had better have MAAC. Where I mostly fly, MAAC would do me absolutley no good whatsoever. That being said, I do have a MAAC membership and I will keep it, only because I do fly at MAAC sanctioned fields through the week in Regina, but on weekends, NOT!! The only thing I can fly into out here are the gophers and flowing wheat and Canola fields. As far as having company at the flying fields in the country, there are always other flyers wanting to come over and fly because of the solitude, not busy, no shortage of air time, and best of all... non MAAC members are always welcome at my airstrip. They are people with a passion for this hobby as well. Just because we fly in isolated areas does not mean that we fly recklessly and we always take the utmost care not to do anything that would endanger us or our flying buds or to discredit this wonderful hobby.

Cheers

Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf

Last edited by chuebner; 09-05-2008 at 08:37 PM.
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:36 PM   #45
hellyeh
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
I get the indication that you are just a little bit jealous of our freedom to fly way out in uninhabited farmlands. If you want to live and fly around the urban sprawl areas (your choice),then you had better have MAAC. Where I mostly fly, MAAC would do me absolutley no good whatsoever. That being said, I do have a MAAC membership and I will keep it, only because I do fly at MAAC sanctioned fields through the week in Regina, but on weekends, NOT!! The only thing I can fly into out here are the gophers and flowing wheat and Canola fields. As far as having company at the flying fields in the country, there are always other flyers wanting to come over and fly because of the solitude, not busy, no shortage of air time, and best of all... non MAAC members are always welcome at my airstrip. They are people with a passion for this hobby as well. Just because we fly in isolated areas does not mean that we fly recklessly and we always take the utmost care not to do anything that would endanger us or our flying buds or to discredit this wonderful hobby.

Cheers

Curt
Curt , actually i'm not jealous of your ability to fly in uninhabited farmlands at all , so don't think that i am .I also have that within my reach as well , but prefer to fly at an ACTUAL field where the runway is groomed . I know this may seem like a double standard , but in your situation , you don't have as much choice as prefontaine does . At least you have MAAC , and by your other posts , appear to want to do the right thing as far as insurance goes . I am also a responsible pilot , and have an EXTREME passion for this hobby , to the point of addiction some might say , and would never do anything to endanger anyone else . But it does concern me when i hear of others that have such a cavalier attitude towards the hobby , and don't seem to understand the importance of utilizing a facility that is within their grasp to preserve this hobby for all of us . There are alot of people that don't understand that just flying wherever you want may cause problems for others that are participating at the actual intended venue for this hobby . I would hate to get "shot down" and lose one of my planes because of someone elses ignorance of this importance . Save the responses about the 2.4 Ghz systems , because i am not convinced that they are the answer YET . On the flipside i guess , with more new people buying the new technology , it lessens the chances of someone shooting me down . Then we just have to worry about the other issues .
Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #46
prefontaine
RCC Contributor

Wink Re: Safety-this should draw a crowd!

Quote:
Curt , actually i'm not jealous of your ability to fly in uninhabited farmlands at all , so don't think that i am .I also have that within my reach as well , but prefer to fly at an ACTUAL field where the runway is groomed . I know this may seem like a double standard , but in your situation , you don't have as much choice as prefontaine does . At least you have MAAC , and by your other posts , appear to want to do the right thing as far as insurance goes . I am also a responsible pilot , and have an EXTREME passion for this hobby , to the point of addiction some might say , and would never do anything to endanger anyone else . But it does concern me when i hear of others that have such a cavalier attitude towards the hobby , and don't seem to understand the importance of utilizing a facility that is within their grasp to preserve this hobby for all of us . There are alot of people that don't understand that just flying wherever you want may cause problems for others that are participating at the actual intended venue for this hobby . I would hate to get "shot down" and lose one of my planes because of someone elses ignorance of this importance . Save the responses about the 2.4 Ghz systems , because i am not convinced that they are the answer YET . On the flipside i guess , with more new people buying the new technology , it lessens the chances of someone shooting me down . Then we just have to worry about the other issues .

what part of I FLY ON A FARM IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE dont you understand... seeing as how Im so ignorant and have such a cavalier attitude towards the hobby, I think tomorrw Ill go buy some model rockets attach them to my blade cp pro and shoot them into traffic while smoking a fatty and drinking whisky.

its a lot easier to get shot down at a field then flying alone...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #47
hellyeh
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefontaine View Post
what part of I FLY ON A FARM IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE dont you understand... seeing as how Im so ignorant and have such a cavalier attitude towards the hobby, I think tomorrw Ill go buy some model rockets attach them to my blade cp pro and shoot them into traffic while smoking a fatty and drinking whisky.

its a lot easier to get shot down at a field then flying alone...
Maybe when you're pissed and stoned while flying your helicopter tomorrow , the heli will turn towards you when the rockets fire . I'd actually like to see that , video it for all of us would ya ! LMAO
Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #48
prefontaine
RCC Contributor

will do..........
Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #49
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
hellyeah.... my flying field is well groomed to the point of being over manicured. Just ask my brother, "thuebner" or "Flyboy 76". Others have asked, only a few get invited!! Awesome place to fly. We all fly on 72 mhz also. Nobody gets shot down. I have not, do not or will not ever turn my TX on anywhere in the vicinity of another flying field (sanctioned or not). If you are ever out this way, look me up and we will do some nice relaxing flying.....country style Same invitation goes out to you Corey.
"Sonic Boomer" and "Gmanz"...c'mon down and let's git R dun!!

Cheers

Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf

Last edited by chuebner; 09-05-2008 at 11:10 PM.
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #50
hellyeh
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I will actually be coming to Saskatoon on monday for work reasons . Might be there the full week , so i am contemplating on taking an airplane or two . Was gonna check out the local field , but yours might be an option too .
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in