digital servos - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
phillmassacre

Total Props: 0
digital servos

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
wow, I put two digital servos in my savage and the batteries will only last just over 15 seconds. I am making a second power supply for the steering servo. I am putting a 4 cell AA and 2 cell AA spliced together with energizer 2500 nimh, so will have 12 AA in two supplies and 1 hump pack on the truck
phillmassacre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Mugenman
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Muckey M

There is a problem somewhere. 2 Digital servo's on a 2500Mah pack should last over a hour easy. Probably a couple hours.
Mugenman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
phillmassacre

I had the first servo in with 333oz torque for the steering, when the second servo was put in for the throttle it happened. I read the instruction and it says with two digital servos, they use alot of power and you will have to make a second power supply for one servo or put in another receiver.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
matthew25

shouldnt have to thougt and it should last at least half an hour , check for binding or if the servo is over working itself
matthew25 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
phillmassacre

how will I check to see if it is over working itself
Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
sounds like you either have a binding issue or issues with your batteries.
the packs you described sound VERY strange - for example 4 AAs are inadequate if they are rechargables, as the voltage will be too low. You should be running FIVE cell rechargable battery packs. You should only use 4 AA packs if they are regular old Alkaline packs. And eve then, Alkalines don't pack the whollop you need to run those servos.

To add to this, you're running a TON of power - you want the most up to date batteries available. There should be no excuse for running a crappy set of packs when you have top of the line in servos to power up. NEVER cut corners with your power source. Its the life of your R/C.

I would suggest NOTHING LESS than 2500 Mah AA G&P NiMH rechargables.
If AA's are too big to fit in the radio box (or wherever you keep them), go with 1100 Mah or more 2/3 A G&P NiMH rechargables ( i believe they go up to 1400 mah now??)
If, however, like me, you have a little EXTRA space, then I would suggest going with the LONGER 'A' cells, available in 1700 Mah NiCad from Sanyo (labelled Sanyo KR1700AU) - these are awesome cells - i've used them extensively, OR, G&P also makes a NiMH 'A' size cell, but I lost track of the current Mah - the last ones I saw over a year ago were at 2700 Mah, and would surely be higher by now given the current battery wars. The physical size of the 'A' cells means they pack more punch. As I said, even the 1700 mah nicad is great! I use these with my buggy with a 5955tg and a zr4750 - HOURS of running. No BS.

If you have room for two packs on board, then wire two of the SAME SIZE AND CAPACITY packs in parallel. DO NOT MIX SIZE, CAPACITY OR TYPE when running packs in parallel. You'll be asking for trouble.

You must also check your steering and throttle linkages by doing the following - remove the servo horn from each servo, but leave all the rest of the linkage in tact. You should be able to very freely and gently move the steering from side to side and move your throttle back and forth with extreme ease. If either binds or is even slightly difficult to move, then this will be the source of your drain.
One thing i found on my buggy, and i found it when my pack only lasted 20 minutes, was that when i assembeled the ball ends onto the c-hubs, i had put threadlock on the screw before inserting it through the ball end and into the c-hub. the threadlock partially wiped off and coated the ball, which made its way into the ballcup. When it hardened, it caused binding in my steering and drained my pack FAST! It was tricky to find, because the servo is so powerful it didn't slow down even a bit, it looked to be working perfectly. It was just working to hard for a living.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
phillmassacre

I am using 2500 nimh energizer batteries, will look at the other stuff to, thanks.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in