Cutting spars - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
Cutting spars

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Fellows
I have just purchased a Senior Telermast 8 foot w/s.
The dihedral braces come with to much dihedral in them.(I prefer 0)
I was thinking of cutting them as I am not sure where or what type of lumber to use or buy for replacement.
IF I cut and join them for 0 dihedral would a couple of carbon fiber rods drilled in each side and epoxy and joined give it the strength needed ?
Any other suggestion

Last edited by Second time around; 07-27-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Re: Cutting spars

I built and flew the 8' Telemaster a really long time ago and at that time it was a one piece wing, I think. I say this because one day the wing folded and fluttered to the ground with little damage. I used a .25" steel rod as a removable spar and re-built the wing as a two piece item. I then used functional struts made from maple. The new ribs at the root were 1/8" plywood, or maybe even 1/4" can't remember. The two wing halves had blocks epoxied to the bottom of the sheeting which when assembled, were captured by the inside of the fuselage. I still used the elastics to hold the wing onto the top of the fuselage.
This way, the wing was very easy to transport around and the steel spar simply slipped out when disassembled.
I had the plane in this configuration for a couple of years, until the elevator horn snapped and it became a lawn dart.....
Later this week I can draw out what I did for you, picture is worth a thousand words, right now I'm out of country.....

Last edited by Dutkoski; 07-28-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

I had a few minutes so I whipped this up on paint brush. Basically, you place a brass tube down the center of the spar area of the ribs and capture it top and bottom with thicker balsa, 1/4" and glue it so there is a continuous support along it's length. I glued the shear webbing on the front side of the top and bottom spars, don't leave that out.....good luck.

I almost forgot, I sheeted the top and bottom of the wing also for about 6" out from the wing roots with 3/32" balsa. This provided a strong surface for the elastics that held the wing in place and a good bonding surface for the monocote. I slipped one day with one of the elastics and it snapped against the monocote where it was open and tore it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Joint.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	56333  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 07-28-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the imput .It may be my choice . However I did buy 3 feet of carbon fiber rod today and was going to router out the side of the spar after i CUT AND STRAIGHTENED IT.
DAM TYPO lol.

Last edited by Second time around; 07-28-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in