designing sailplane: size of tail feathers vs wing area - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
thexfiles

Total Props: 0
designing sailplane: size of tail feathers vs wing area

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
what is the factor used in determining the size of the tail feathers relative to the wing area?
i have a .11 in mind for the horizontal stab and elevator but am not sure about the vertical fin.
thanks for your help.
bill
thexfiles is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:06 AM   #2
Muldoer
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
I think the general rule is 18-20% of the total wing area for the horizontal stab/elevator and about 9-10% of the wing area for the vertical stab/rudder.

PS...strange username coinkidink.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:02 PM   #3
TonyD.
RCC Apprentice

I am: Tony D.
Location: Parksville, Vancouver Island, Canada 49.3193° N, 124.3136° W
Radio of choice:
FRSky Tandem20

Total Props: 1
The value you want to determine is TVC or Tail Volume Coefficient.

What type of glider are you designing? Rudder/elevator or ailerons? Thermal duration or slope?

A TD ship and a sloper may use different TVC values for the same span/area because they are optomized for different tasks.

Generally you can shoot for a horizontal TVC of .4 and you will have plenty of stability, for vertical TVC go with .025 to .035

These values are for an aileron equipped glider, for an R/E ship TVC figures will be higher.

To calculate TVC find the mean aerodynamic chord (MAC) of the wing and the tail. Measure the distance between 25% of the MAC (measured 25% back from the leading edge) of each. That is the tail moment arm length. Divide the tail moment arm length by the MAC of the wing to experss it in multiples of the MAC. The horizontal tail volume coefficient is the tail moment arm (in multiples of MAC) times the ratio of horizontal tail area to wing area.

The vertical tail volume coefficient is the (vertical tail area divided by the wing area) times the (tail moment arm length divided by the wing span).

But if you want to save all of this math you can use a handy TVC calculator and Sailplane Design Spreadsheet which I have on my home computer and I can send them to your e-mail if you like.

The spreadsheet was designed by Adam Till of Calgary and it is an excellent design, set up and performance prediction tool.

If you would like the spreadsheet send me your email address.

Tony D.
TonyD. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in