Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #41
rcgeorge
RCC Contributor

I am: robert d
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2
Re: e flight conversions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISGUNN View Post
Like Colyn,I'm looking at converting a glow kit to electric.A Unionville Tiger Moth. What are A123 or E-MOLI cells? Where can I find information on them?
Also,a better explanation on the WATTS/POUNDS RATIO chart would be nice for us older guys!!!
Thanks bunch,
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
did you ever get the conversion done for the unionville tiger? I've got the fuse about 2/3rds done, just going to rig up a servo arm for rudder pull-pull. made the cockpit completely removable to get at my packs, and put in a tray to adjust CG as required. be good to hear how yours turned out if you ended up going that route.
cheers
rcgeorge is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #42

Total Props: 57
Re: E-flight conversion

Georgercg, try to get the weights as far forward as possible and minimize the tail-end weights. Al lot of designs are build around the hammering that IC engines dish out (heavier woods, extra reinforcement, etc.). Plus you have to weight from the engine to replace to get the plane to balnce correctly.

I'm currently doing a conversion of a SIG Kougar and using the same setup as in my Laneier Explorer 40 (AXI 2826-10, CC Phoenix 45, Polyquest 4s 3300/20C).

So far, about three ounces have come out of the tail from cutting holes in the fuselage sides and replacing the top and bottom sheeting with contest-grade 3/32 instead of the deadwood 1/8 provided in the kit. If I'd been more aggressive, I'd have used 3/32 in the fuselage sides and used a built-up stab and fin. Doesn't sound like much but figuring a 4-to-1 ratio of the back end to the front, I figure that I've saved about 8 ounces of lead weight not being needed on a stock changeover. I'm probably going to go with a larger battery pack (Makita refurbed battery packs -- A123 equivalents) in a 4s3p configuration to get amps up at the cost of extra working weight, which means that I don't need additional lead in the nose to balance the plane out.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #43
rcgeorge
RCC Contributor

I am: robert d
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2
Re: E-flight conversion

great minds think alike. I put in lightening holes in the forward structure before sheeting with 1/16th. Was going to do the same with tail feathers as they are solid 1/4 balsa, but will probably just build them up instead. the cockpit access works really slick and is held in place with the canopy sides and a magnet.
rcgeorge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in