Is CA and CA Accelerator Dangerous? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
ace mcfee
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Karl C.
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Is CA and CA Accelerator Dangerous?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever had a reaction to CA or CA accelerator. On three occasions now I have experienced severe headaches and nausea after using CA and CA accelerator (the kind in the white spray can). The first time I was sick for a day, the second was a bit over a day and recently I was sick with severe headache, nausea and vomiting for 10 days. After five days of not being able to keep anything down, I was admitted to emergency for dehydration. The symptoms, according to my doctor, were similar to a migraine headache, but having never experienced migraines in my life, I think there is another cause...possibly the use of CA and CA accelerator.

I am a builder but I do not use CA or accelerator excessively. I am now using a fan and a particle mask when I use CA and CA accelerator.

I would be interested in anyone's views on this topic.

Cheers

Ace
ace mcfee is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: Is CA and CA Accelerator Dangerous?

Check the WHMS info for both, although I would expect the airborne accelerator to be the culprit as your unprotected exposure would be much greater.

The fact your symptoms became worse each time you used it may indicate you are developing a sensitivity to it. In some cases you can go for years without effect, to suddenly suffering a reaction. The Ketones used in epoxy are another one to watch for, as they never leave your system.

My entire family suffers migraines. In my case, when I was the owner of an auto repair shop and regularly exposed to CO things were much worse. Over the years, though, the single biggest contributor has been the dehydration you mention.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace mcfee View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever had a reaction to CA or CA accelerator. On three occasions now I have experienced severe headaches and nausea after using CA and CA accelerator (the kind in the white spray can). The first time I was sick for a day, the second was a bit over a day and recently I was sick with severe headache, nausea and vomiting for 10 days. After five days of not being able to keep anything down, I was admitted to emergency for dehydration. The symptoms, according to my doctor, were similar to a migraine headache, but having never experienced migraines in my life, I think there is another cause...possibly the use of CA and CA accelerator.

I am a builder but I do not use CA or accelerator excessively. I am now using a fan and a particle mask when I use CA and CA accelerator.

Cheers

Ace
Never had an issue that severe, but I do have a strong nasal irritation reaction.

Sound like you have become sensitized & that is bad news for you using CA in the future.

The use of masks is ineffective unless you have one of those respirator type masks with filters that are specifically designed for the fumes you are trying to avoid (read the labels on the different available canisters). You also risking your health if the masks are not fitted properly as the seal has to be perfect and some people do not have the lung capacity (unknowingly exposing themselves to lung damage & heart attacks) to use a respirator.

Sealed goggles should be used also as fumes can be absorbed through the eyes and you might need a tyvek suit & gloves to avoid skin exposure..

Be very careful...

Old 10-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
kwm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Keith M

I to get a little sick using CA but there is an odor free CA on the market, maybe try that and see what happens.
kwm is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace mcfee View Post

Cheers

Ace
The spray can would likely be the worst thing to use. It looks like you should look for another type of glue. Using a fan only spreads the fumes. An exhaust fan is a much better route to go with if you continue to use CA.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

A friend of mine has a severe reaction too...just a drop anywhere in the room and he can't breath through his nose it's so stuffed up for a week. Dangerous? I don't think so, there no WHMIS symbol on the front....but some people can be sensitive to it. Doesn't bother me in the least...I kinda like the smell. (:
Old 10-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
sport_flying
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Sport Flying
Radio of choice:
JR/Spetrum

Total Props: 1

I have never had an issue with CA or the accelerator other than gluing myself together
I use the pump style accelerator.
Some times when the CA flashes off the smoke fumes burn the eyes a little.
sport_flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Dan S
RCC Junior Contributor

guys, I also have a friend that ended up sensitive to CA.
this is the toxicity from Wikipedia:

The fumes from CA are a vaporized form of the cyanoacrylate monomer that irritate sensitive membranes in the eyes, nose and throat. They are immediately polymerized by the moisture in the membranes and become inert. These risks can be minimized by using CA in well ventilated areas. About 5% of the population can become sensitized to CA fumes after repeated exposure, resulting in flu-like symptoms. It may also act as a skin irritant and may cause an allergic skin reaction.

like mentioned before that Toluidine is a component used for in CA accelerator and according to Wiki, is toxic and are suspected human carcinogens.

but lets not get carried away, lets just keep on being safe when we use those products.

Dan.
Dan S is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Once you are sensitized there is no safe level much like peanut allergies. The allergic reaction can be super-excessive & that is what kills people, like 10 days of vomiting & dehydration or it starts with the nose being plugged and ends with the lungs filling with fluid and you die by drowning. Not a good thing.

The foam that is used from the cans you get at home depot to fill cracks and Gorilla Glue is also another irritant that can cause a tiny percent of the population to become sensitized, after the initial reaction if they are exposed even to the tiniest amount their lungs very quickly fill with fluid and they usually are overwhelmed & end up dead.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ View Post
A friend of mine has a severe reaction too...just a drop anywhere in the room and he can't breath through his nose it's so stuffed up for a week. Dangerous? I don't think so, there no WHMIS symbol on the front....but some people can be sensitive to it. Doesn't bother me in the least...I kinda like the smell. (:
WHMIS stands for Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System. Thus
WHMIS labels are normally only found in the work place, not on household products.

The package of CA I just bought at the Dollar Store had mumerous health warnings on it.

Yes it is definitely a health hazard.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in