Hitec Aurora 9 or jr9503 2.4g - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #21
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136
Re: Hitec Aurora 9 or jr9503 2.4g

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
The only radio system I have not owned is the Spectrum/JR stuff. Found the Futaba, Airtronics and Hitec stuff on 2.4 just fine. Sold my Airtronics when I purchased my Aurora. I like the radio better than the Airtronics and found it much easier to program and I like the touch screen. I use all Hitec servos any how and have for years. I have found service from Hitec when you need it is the best of all of them. Even their trainer cord comes with all the ends to plug in to every Hitec radio made. Their receivers are the most reasonable of all the brands and pre 2.4 many JR/Futaba users used the Hitec receivers in their planes. I can honestly say I have never been disappointed with Hitec. I liked the Airtronics it seemed bullet proof. I just thought it would be too expensive to switch everything over. I would still recommend Hitec over Airtronics simply because it is not a familiar radio within the club. It’s a big plus to have others who are familiar with the operation of your equipment if you run into a problem.

Dennis
Hi Dennis;
True, Airtronics probably may not be a familiar radio in some areas
as I have seen at various clubs from Thunder Bay and West. I have used Kraft ( way back when) , Futaba , and then had both Airtronics and Futaba radios at the same time all on 72mhz and then mid last year I bought my first 2.4 Airtronics ( RDS8000) when they had the system plus 2 receivers as a start promotion. Then sold all my 72 equipment. Going back into the 80's I have found that flyers always had better luck (for a better word) with Airtronics when using gas/ignition motors as far as noise rejection. I have never seen, heard nor had a problem with interference with Airtronics other than someone else on the same frequency at the same time.

Checked out JR/Specktrum and too many binding issues and problems with the bind dropping too easy. I understand that JR makes some very good servos but others are so-so. Finally went with Airtronics 2.4 and NEVER had any bind problems as once bound that was it. After I bought the SD-10g on its programming merits and eaze of setting up aircraft ;I did do an honest comparison to the Aurora 9 using the online manual and found that I did the right choice for me. Telemetry was not a feature that I needed as well as touch screen as I preferr buttons ( if touch screen goes south , what is cost to replace ?) and as I mentioned earlier whether it's a button or whether it's a touch screen not an issue as the same result happens. Another point I have against huge screens is it takes more power to run and that shrinks transmitter usefullness battery wise.

I believe that Hitec Digital seros should work with the SD-10G radio and 10 channel receiver but definitely not the analogue ones as they operate with too slow a frame rate, although I haven't had any problems with my analogue Airtronics servos.

Airtronics has a website that answers any programming/equipment issues that people may have and response time is very good as they have a staff of 5 set up to answer plus other users can also input support to help out, so you see the support is endless.

You could have kept all your Hitec other hardware ( ie servos , leads and ? ) as the plugs are the same. But for analogue Hitec servos you could have stayed with the FHSS-1 receivers ( 1 st generation 2.4) instead of going with the superfast FHSS-3 receivers. Another plus if you wanted to change to the higher quality receivers Airtronics has great pricing on their 3-pack receivers in1 or 3 rd generation versions. Price drops from $89 each down to $66 in 3 pack. Also Airtronics has a pretty good selection of digital servos at comparable to Hitec digitals pricing and features wise.

Yes, Airtronics did change their trainer plugs to the small din plugs to lighten things up ( as did Futaba, a few years ago) and I think part of the reason was that the New SD series is so far advanced compared to the other Air- radios was that it would have been too costly to try and intigrate. Anyways will close for now as I don't want to wear out this thread ! haha. One question though ::::: What Airtronics radio did you sell off when you bought your Aurora ?
Len
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #22

Total Props: 57

At the Kawartha Scale Championships in 2009 I was the lucky winner of a RDS8000 2.4 draw prize. This was donated by a true gentleman and fellow competitor who just happens to be the Airtronics rep, Peter Hill.This radio was used for the University of Windsor’s model in the SAE Aerodesign Competition at Fort Worth Texas and in my own heavy lift plane at home. It operated flawlessly even though the receiver was in close proximity to a large volume of lead weight. I have no issues with the radio I prefer the Hitec.

When I flew Hitec on 72 with receivers using IPD (intelligent pulse decoding)twice someone turned on the same frequency and I was still able to get my model safely on the ground while the other succumbed to the dance of death. The whole time the other radio was on and transmitting.

I to have flown gas from old points Quatra's to new ignition systems and have never had a radio problem.

Any service I have had has been outstanding most times no charge and very quick turnaround.

As one of our clubs more active instructors for quite a few years now I have had ample opportunity to fly and program most brands of radios. By far I consider the Hitec Aurora the easiest of the bunch to program. The touch screen walks you through visually each step.

Radio does not transmit until you tell it to.

I like the look and feel better.

Most of all Hitec is an old and comfortable friend that has never given me reason not to trust it. I stick with what I feel comfortable with.

Dennis

Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #23
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

I am glad you are satisfied with the Aurora 9 and yes it is more radio than the Airtronics RDS8000 radio which is a fine radio in the $180 dollar range but to be fair we should be comparing the Aurora 9 to the Airtronics 10 channel; SD-10G which has proven to have programming that even the programmers didn't know existed and on the Airtronics website users are coming up with new and different solutions for programming. Anyways good luck with your Aurora and glad you are happy with it and I will stay with my SD-10G and continue to discover new solutions to programming requirements.
Have a good and safe flying summer .
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #24

Total Props: 57

I wasn't comparing radios but stating a personal preference for a complete system. I have formed this personal opinion from my past experience. Reality is that if any one brand or model suited all the needs of all of today’s modelers why would any of the others still be in business. My choice doesn't dictate what is best or easiest to program for someone else. As an instructor I caution new students to buy only what they can afford as they may well change their preference once they gain some experience. Same goes for the support equipment. As far as the radio is concerned buy what your friends are using or what is common at the field. That way lots of help is available and your instructors will be familiar with your radio. Show up at our field with a high end Multiplex and need help you will be out of luck unless the one or two guys who use that radio are on hand.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in