Walkera V450D01 Scale Heli's - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
urrl
RCC Apprentice

I am: Bill H

Total Props: 0
Re: Walkera V450D01 Scale Heli's

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
There is a process of setting the limits of the rudder blades, ailerons, elevator and some other stuff which may take about a half hour. The heli itself is pretty much all assembled though. All screws must be checked; just this morning my V450 with the A109 fuse was acting twitchy when doing a right turn; the right servo was coming lose so I tightened it. Don't depend on the factory and especially don't over tighten; bolts may break off after being overtightened at the factory. Walkera quality control is not the best IMO but once the kinks are ironed out the V450 can be pretty dependable.
urrl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:58 AM   #12
urrl
RCC Apprentice

Here I removed the A109 body and replaced it with a blue Bell 222 Airwolf body.

Hopefully I will get a full maiden flight with it this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercy4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	116492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercy3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	116493  
Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
xviper
RCC Apprentice

I am: Oc V
Radio of choice:
2 cans and a string
# of RCs: 150

Total Props: 3

Does the airwolf fuse come with all the necessary hardware for fully functional retracts?
xviper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #14
urrl
RCC Apprentice

It does not come with the digital servo but it should come with everything else.
The one I ordered came with a lighting kit.

It is very important the servo is digital otherwise there will be overheating issues. To be safe I would recommend a servo from here:
http://www.wowhobbies.com/hm-v450d01...3servos-3.aspx
I am using a cheaper walkera stock V450D01 plastic gear servo which seems to work fine.

The instructions you download from Heliartist can be confusing but this video helps a lot.

If you do intend to put one of these V450D01's into a full fuselage you should be aware that you will have to make a few relatively easy alterations to the gyro and rear servo positions. The mechanics will not go back into the fuselage far enough if you do not do this alteration. I reversed the two servo brackets to tuck the servo under the boom rod, then moved the gyro.

Also some fuselage styles other than A109 or Airwolf/Bell 222 may require more drastic alterations.

To get that receiver/gyro under there you may have to dremel out an obstructing plastic or carbon fiber protrusion piece. Also you should have some double sided sticky tape to secure the gyro once it is moved.

Another small problem I came across was that the gear retract servo wire was not long enough to reach the receiver so you will need either an extension wire
http://www.scaleflying.com/Servo-Extensions_c_81.html
or the gadget that I have that slows the landing gear deployment; it has extension wires already. I will try to find a link if you really want to do this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Move.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	116637  

Last edited by urrl; 08-23-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 AM   #15
urrl
RCC Apprentice

Also you should be aware I had to dremel out certain areas of the body to insure there would be no obstructions to the linkage rods, especially the main rotor head rods. It's up to you to decide how much. if any, for the tail piece but I strongly recommend you widen out the main rotor areas; I had a crash caused by a jammed linkage rod once.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dremel2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	116638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dremel.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	116639  
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
urrl
RCC Apprentice

One other thing; this morning the blue Airwolf overheated a few times in flight and I barely escaped a crash as it slid onto the ground the third time after losing a portion of control, but no damage whatsoever. I figured it must be one of two things so first I disconnected the landing gear retract servo. That was the third time it still began to lose control and I slid it to the ground like someone sliding into home base. I then took it home and connected the lighting system into the gear input instead of the Battery input on the receiver. I went thru two flights after that without incident so that was my problem I think. You see I have a landing gear retract speed reducer which plugs into the gear input on the receiver but has two output leads; one I connected to the landing gear servo and the other now connects to the lighting system. Hopefully I will have no further problems.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
xviper
RCC Apprentice

I am: Oc V
Radio of choice:
2 cans and a string
# of RCs: 150

Total Props: 3

Thanks you very much for the detailed information. This thread will come in very handy should I decide to do this.
I've always wanted an Airwolf. I had a 200 size one but the mechanics wasn't strong enough to lift the weight. I shelved that idea for a while. At the moment, I'm gathering information to determine if I'm willing to go to the expense and effort to do this right now. The Walkera 450 looks very promising to me but as I'm currently working on a couple of other scale helis (5-blade Cop X into a Hughes 500 and a swinging 4-blade Blade 400 into an EC-135), this is not of high priority. It may be a future project. Not sure if I want to drop that kind of money for another heli until I find the time to do anything about it. Your thread got my juices flowing for an Airwolf again.
xviper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
urrl
RCC Apprentice

Good to hear; I like the Airwolf aerodynamics; the mechanics should perhaps be what you have on hand. Why spend more than you have to? I like the Bell 222 fuse so much I already have two. Hope you eventually get one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in