RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #11
orenda635
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike P

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager_663rd
Quote:
Originally Posted by orenda635

Is it me or does black painted R/C hardware tend to strip easily? Brass and steel fine but thoes black painted one... I don't know what they make them out of but they suck!
cheap chinese steel is painted black to slow down the rusting process.

original gear on Ryan's was this stuff. they replaced it with good stuff after many complained about "springy" gear that bent on the first landing (good or bad).
Made in China doesn't neccessarily mean its good I guess. I remember the one of the landing gear bolts on my Vmar Tomahawk was stripped right out of the box. It was made out of that junk. I had to use a blow torch to heat it up so I could get it out. Are there better quality bolts out there that I can get so this doesn't happen again?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #12
chuck_zc
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Charlie L.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Total Props: 2
Do you have a tight fitting Torx bit that you can tap into the head of the bolt. If you can get one slightly bigger that the bolt this should provide enough grip to get the bolt out.
chuck_zc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:03 PM   #13
bavl
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Babak
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: >10

Total Props: 1
Re: Stripped Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenda635
I've gone and done something really dumb. I was doing the an end of year inspection and cleaning of the piston on my OS 46 FX. Somehow I managed to strip the heads of two of the bolts holding the cylinder cap. I can't get them off with my ball drivers now. What's a good tool to get these off so I can replace them?
The best practical way to remove stripped screws is drilling the heads out.
keep the engine in a straight line with a 5mm or 3/16 drill bit and make a hole in the center of screw’s head. The remaining of the head will fall apart as soon as the bit reach to the cylinder head.
Repeat this procedures for all of damaged screws. Remove the cylinder head and take out the broken screws by pliers.
It will work better with a drill press but you can use a hand drill as well.
I have tried this method several times with great result.

Babak
bavl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-08-2004, 06:35 AM   #14
Ed Smith

Quote:
Made in China doesn't neccessarily mean its good I guess. I remember the one of the landing gear bolts on my Vmar Tomahawk was stripped right out of the box. It was made out of that junk. I had to use a blow torch to heat it up so I could get it out. Are there better quality bolts out there that I can get so this doesn't happen again?

If you are using screws made offshore they will invariably be junk. Most of the stuff sold in hardware or hobby stores are of this type. For quality screws go to an industrial supplier and insist on a particular brand. There are two quality brands. "Unbrako" and "Holokrome". Most of the companies I do work for have these brands written into their tooling standards.

As in all things, you get what you pay for.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:36 AM   #15
Fodder
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Scott

[quote="orenda635"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm
Why can't they just use Robertson heads.
The states don't like robertson. Slot or Philips is basically what you'll find.

Scott
Ajax R/C Club
Fodder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:24 AM   #16
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Are there better quality bolts out there that I can get so this doesn't happen again?
I usually spend the extra couple bucks and get the stainless or hardened bolts. It's really worth the little bit extra.
All the screws on my planes, self tapping, wood, and machine are changed out to robertson.
With stainless, you won't have a problem with stripping the allen type screws.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:57 AM   #17
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I agree with the stainless and that is all I purchase for small screws if possible. Where the problem is that anything different from 3 or 4mm is special order. I used to convert most of my head bolts to 6/32 for the 3mm bolts. You can then purchase a variety of good allen bolts to use. If you do convert while at the bolt supply buy a set of taps. There should be 3 in the set and finish with the bottoming tap. The new ones will be sharp and cut a clean thread.
I still prefer drilling the bolt out with the left hand drill bit. If you drill at the slowest speed possible with a steady pressure lots of times before the head comes off the heat from drilling will back the screw out.
John
Old 11-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #18
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
I agree that where you may have snapped the head off a screw or bolt, drilling and retaping is the best method.

But if you've just stripped the hex out of the socket head of a cap screw, and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, a set of "Easy Out" screw and bolt removers work wonderfully. They have biting ends on them twisted the opposite way to the bolt threads and bite into the cap when turning them counter-clockwise and out comes the damaged socket head cap screw!

I believe Canadian Tire advertised these a while back about a million times on TV! They are not really cheep but worth every penny in saved frustrations!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:26 PM   #19
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Gary,
I have a few different type of the easy outs sets and havn't had to good a results on the small type. The big problem is to take your time what ever you try. It also does not hurt to warm the case up a bit to get it to expand. That is not a melt down but just warm enough for a glove.
John
ps: This is one reason I am making the EDM. It would make it so easy.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #20
cf-drg
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 28
I thought TORX is what the US equivilent is to our robertson....
Also got a toy from Mc D's made in china and they used a triangular socket type head for all the screws..Ooooo
For shock value..... I had to purchase a head bolt ( just 1 ) for my 6.9 deisel... Its about 6" with a 3/8" thead and a 12 point socket head, ( a grade 12 bolt, no stretching or bending.. A real tough cookie bolt )
Well $12.00 later for 1 bolt I was thankful I wasn't replacing the whole set.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in