How do electric fans compare with glow? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
joebedford

Total Props: 0
How do electric fans compare with glow?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm new to electric but I've been flying for many years. I still have a couple (well several) ducted fan models but have no interest in flying glow anymore.

I have two basic fan / engine combinations:

- Dynamax with K&B .82, and
- Turbax with K&B 7.5cc

Are there electric DF units that provide comparable performance?

Cheers, Joe
joebedford is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: How do electric fans compare with glow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford
I'm new to electric but I've been flying for many years. I still have a couple (well several) ducted fan models but have no interest in flying glow anymore.

I have two basic fan / engine combinations:

- Dynamax with K&B .82, and
- Turbax with K&B 7.5cc

Are there electric DF units that provide comparable performance?

Cheers, Joe
The Wemotec Midi fan unit is comparable to the Turbax/7.5cc unit.

However, there are lots of items that have to be considered:
lightening the structure since you don't have the pounding and oil deposits from the engine
dded weight due to battery pack, especially if going the NiCd or NiMh routes.
power availability of alcohol engines versus brushless motors/battery packs

I suspect that you're thinking about a ROG model, in which case I suggest that you check out the "JetMang's" F4D model at Jet Hanger hobbies and as discussed on rcgroups.com forums. Another person to chase after is Kevin Cox who is one of the prime movers in the EDF field.

If you're thinking of taking an existing "slimer" aircraft and doing a straight conversion to EDF, you probably will be highly disappointed. Even convertion an existing kit to EDF is probably not going to work very well.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
joebedford

I'm surprised that anyone remembers ole Slimer. This PC is in my workshop and I can see him hanging up from here (upside down of course )

I was just trying to get an idea of relative performance. I understand that for now anyway, if I want to fly electric DF I'll have to get a model purpose designed for EDF.

I'll check out the links you suggested.

I'm getting keen again - since I got the 3D park barf 10 days ago, I've had more flights than in the last two years!

Cheers, Joe
joebedford is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
oilman

Mini fan 480 size is what I like. To small for retracts but fixed gear is doable if you can put up with the look of it dangling. Mini fan and bigger requires some space to fly. So unless you got a big field at your disposale you might not get a lot of flying time in. What I mean is in comparison to IC theres no advantage there.

If your not into building theres a lot of ARFs coming along. Heres a thread on a very popular one.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...18#post2450115

If you enjoy building give my site a look. Lots of unique projects here.

http://www.oilmanelectricrc.com/RBCJETS.html?
oilman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in