Tinting windows?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
mike99
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
Tinting windows??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to tint windows. The windows in question are already installed in an arf I am going to assemble, but I will take them out if need be. I would rather leave them in. Any Ideas???
Cheers............Mikee

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Mike Biedul
RCC Junior Contributor

I don't have personal experience - yet - but will be following the directions for tinting the canopy of a big ARF I'm fitting out. It is PET material. I don't know what that stands for, but it is that soft (and very easily scratched) clear material. I tried using RIT dye, but this material is not taking it up - some plastics do very well and you see that often with sailplanes having the canopy tinted to match the monocoat, using plain old fabric dye. Anyway, that did not work for me so I will just quote the manual for the ARF. "If you wish you can tint the inside of the canopy using one of the aerosol spray paints used for painting the inside of polycarbonate car bodies (eg: Tamiya or Lexanit ranges). Use many very light coats to get even coverage." Hope that helps; you should be able to mask with tape using that method. Probably would not hurt to ask around the hobby shop with the R/C car guys. I'm hoping one of these paints is transparant and only adds a tint, but I don't know that for sure yet. -Mike
Mike Biedul is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
wheelman
RCC Apprentice

tinting

Yes! definatly lightly scuff the part with about 600 or finer paper and spray from the inside using paint designed for polycarb. r/c/ car bodys. There is a great selection of colors and if done this way the finish will not ever get scratched as it is painted from the inside. The other great thing is the finish will be very smooth and shiney because the plastic acts as the "clear coat" Don't worry you won't be able to see the scratches from the sandpaper at all!
wheelman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
Mike Biedul
RCC Junior Contributor

Wheelman: Have you used the "transparant" Tamiya paints? I'm going to try Tamiya PS-42 transparant yellow on my canopy. Will the scuffed up method you suggest affect the evenness (if that's an actual English word) of the coating, or should I not scuff it up with sandpaper when using the transparant colours? -Mike
Old 06-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
wheelman
RCC Apprentice

transparent colors

I would not scuff the plastic with the transparent or metallic colors. You'll then be able to see the scratches. The scuffing is really not totally necessary but when using solid colors it's a good idea just for the "mechanical" adhesion. Those paints (for lexan car bodies) are specially formulated for good "chemichal" adhesion anyway.
wheelman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:03 AM   #6
Frenchman
RCC Contributor

I am: Rene B

Mike

Take a boo at the link. It could help

https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic....ghlight=#28596

MAAC # 68775
Frenchman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:57 AM   #7
mike99
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: 12

Window Tinting

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I purchased a can of the spray tint. It does work well. First coat looks as if you didn't do anything, but after the next couple, you can see the tint.
Cheers..........Mikee
Old 06-26-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
eagle2flyer
RCC Senior Contributor

TINTING

post some pics please...would luike to tint cessnas windows
eagle2flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
Mike Biedul
RCC Junior Contributor

Not too happy with the Tamiya tinting paints on a giant scale canopy. I used their TINT ( PS-42 yelloiw) for a yellow tint and it became an opague yellow with a definite texture. I was after a clear tint: not what I got. I'll try the RIT dye method again, with higher temperature and more patience. But this is not what I was after. It is truely opague. It's a nice effect, if that's what you want, A couple of photos here to illustrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yak551s_201.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	10372  
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #10
Mike Biedul
RCC Junior Contributor

another view
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yak553s_729.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	10373  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in