ESC question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
imported_RC-SUPERMAN

Total Props: 0
ESC question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a futaba MC330CR ESC it states that it can handle a 13 turn 540 motor with 7 cells. Here is what I am wondering. If I am just running a 370 motor with this esc can I run more cells?? I want to run a 3 cell Lipo.
imported_RC-SUPERMAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
imported_VEN
RCC Supreme Contributor

no matter the motor size, the esc will only take the 7 cells...no more..otherwise it heats up and boom....its not about the motor or amp draw...also..don't run a lipo on it plese unless you have voltage cut off....if you don't don't run it
imported_VEN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
imported_VEN
RCC Supreme Contributor

actually forget what i said about the voltage, i put a 3s on my novak cyclone unlimited and its fine..;when it says maximum the esc can handle is 8 cells....my motor is realy efficient though which is probably the reason why the esc doesn't overheat
imported_VEN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
ayk_driver
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew C
Radio of choice:
Old School FM... Futaba mainly
# of RCs: 5+

im pretty sure as long as u dont go over the voltage of the rated 7 cells (8.4V?) u should be fine... worst case scenario... it over heats and thermal protection kicks in... which im like 95% sure the 330 has?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:50 PM   #5
Pipeous
RCC Pro Contributor

ya the 330 has protection. I had an mc230 in an hpi mini pro. I dumped a 10 turn double in and it thermalled but worked fine later. be careful with going over voltage. the motor limit is about amperage draw. voltage is about the inner components.
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
TEM
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: David L

Although some people say they've done it and it didn't burn out the ESC, you are always taking chances when you do stuff like exceeding rated input voltage or output motor limit (which is basically a lay man's term for max current). It really depends on design of the circuit and the components used.

Going over the rated voltage has nothing to do with thermal protection in some cases. Too many volts = toasted esc.

Motor limit is a relative term that describes how much current the esc can handle. What you also have to know is if you had a 10yr old ESC thats rated for 10 turns, the chances are it won't handle the current draw of todays 10 turn motors! Those of us who are lucky might have a thermal protection that kicks in and your speedo works after it cools down. Others, might just get a puff of smoke and thats the end of the ESC.

Ven, motor efficiency has nothing to do with this. Motor efficiency is the relation between output power vs input power at the motor.

Anyways, summing it all up; don't go over a ESC's rated limits unless you've seen it done and nothing bad happened.
#1 ranked offroadrc badminton player
TEM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in