Recipies For Success - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Good Grief

Total Props: 0
Recipies For Success

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
While anyone who has been in the RC plane game for long knows, there are some things that have a pretty standard "Rules of Thumb". Sure, there are exceptions to every rule, but there some things that serve as a good starting point when setting up a ARF or even that plane you've spent months or even years to build.

Time and time again the same old questions are asked. I'd almost bet that a lot of the guys with experience don't even take a second look at some of the new threads askin' the same ole thing.

While building a plane from scratch or a kit is seeming to become passé, those planes did come with a lot of valuable information. The Centre of Gravity being the one of the first hurdles. Wing Incidence (both main and tail). Thrust angles for the power (engine or electric).

I am working on a kit built plane (built in the early '80s by someone else) that I tried to sell. I am re-powering it with the engine that came from a crash that I didn't see coming! The general idea was to take a proven airframe that was slightly under-powered and give her a heart transplant with the salvaged engine.

My problems start with the lack of information on my particular plane. All the Google and Bing searches in the world result in frustration about the CG. Most of us have learned that you never want to Maiden (or Re-Maiden) a tail heavy plane. My research said "25-35%" of the wing chord. This seems to be pretty standard protocol, and guess what? That percentage puts the CG right on the spare!

This might be a pretty good rule of thumb #1 for someone asking "where is the CG supposed to be". From previous experience with this particular plane that's a great place to start.

So the new-to-it engine is all mounted up. I weighed the old and new engine to see how much difference there was. New power is 4oz heavier, not a big deal. Thats until I remembered the fuel tank! New engine is gas, old engine is glow. Lines and bung have to be changed, that's when I remember the original builder wrapped at least 8oz of lead around the tank (32oz that was stuffed right up to the firewall) and the 4oz of lead that I had added to the firewall to make it balance.

I mentioned the tank is 32oz. In my book, and from experience flyin' this thing, when you consume 28oz out of that tank (at the firewall) this thing flies differently. I want to make this thing fly better. I know a lot of the Precision aerobatic (old school flyin' glow engines) guys kept the fuel tank as close to the CG and centred on the Datum line as possible. Hmmmm, good idea, but my plane suffers from "excessive weight" in the tail. How do ya fix this dilemma???

One question recently asked was about thrust angles of the engine. I have built quite a few kit planes. I was shocked when I came across a set of planes that had 8 degrees of down. Built it that way and she flew like a dream. I guess its best to stick with the program (plans), maiden the plane and tweak to taste from there. I have met a few RC pilots that never considered thrust angles as a solution to bad flight habits. Most of them added ballast to make their plane fly to their liking. I try to do all I can to avoid any added dead weight, especially if I am building a plane out of sticks.

As usual I have more questions than answers, can some please help me tune up my bird so it flies better?

Last edited by Good Grief; 08-10-2013 at 11:09 AM.
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
Re: Recipies For Success

I'm just throwing some stuff out. I'm new to this. Is it possible to move the engine forward. The further it gets from the CofG the more effect it has. I agree with keeping the plane as light as possible, but not at the expense of progressive tail heaviness (28oz). With a more forward engine that is heavier than the original, and some ballast lead sheet tucked in behind the engine, I would hope to get that tank much closer to CofG. You did not mention which model you have. Can tail heaviness be compensated for by increasing tail plane incidence???
Oh, one last question, did you mean the cg was on the wing spar at 25-35%?

Last edited by fixer; 08-10-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added text
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Brent,

As already suggested, identify the 1980s kit built plane.... there are lots of people on this and similar, U.S. based websites, that are still around from that time and I would not be surprised to hear you get "this is my experience with this actual model" answers.

good luck

Michael
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
CHEVPRO
RCC Contributor

I am: Todd N
Radio of choice:
Dx9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

Google Alan's hobbies. There is a database of rc and modeling links. Should be able to find what you need in there.
CHEVPRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

You are right that with glow motors the tank needs to be as close as possible to the engine as possible. The good news with gas motors is you can put the tank pretty much anywhere you want as the carb has a pump that will pull the fuel. This means you can put the tank right on the CG and you will not have any change of CG as the fuel is used up.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVPRO View Post
Google Alan's hobbies. There is a database of rc and modeling links. Should be able to find what you need in there.
Thanks for that link to Alan's, Chevpro, what a gold mine!
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 18

Try the attached PDF file.
Attached Thumbnails
AC Design.pdf  

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in