Intermediate Sequence Entry and Exit 2017 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Old 02-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 8
Intermediate Sequence Entry and Exit 2017

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Pilots - I was very fortunate to attend the National Judging Instructors seminar last weekend in Fort Worth, Texas. We had a rather intensive discussion about legal turn around maneuvers and this is especially important for inverted entry and exit from the sequence.

Our Chief Judge - Ty Lyman - has stepped in and offered his interpretation that only the maneuvers specified in rule 13.5 are allowed. If the maneuver is not specifically described in 13.5 then it is absolutely not allowed !

Two main points re application:

1) Entering the sequence inverted - keep in mind that flying inverted by itself is considered an aerobatic maneuver. So the absolute safest way to enter the sequence inverted is to establish your line, then half roll to inverted and then call the box. Do not call the box and then roll inverted. That would zero the first maneuver. Also once you are inverted you are committed to calling the box. You cannot do a trim pass inverted, not call the box and then do a turnaround maneuver. That will officially zero the whole subsequent sequence. Rule 13.5 does allow you to do a Half Cuban or Reverse Half Cuban with or without the half roll on the 45 degree line. But if you use this to get inverted then you are once again committed to calling the box.

2) Exiting the sequence inverted - the 90 degree roller exits inverted this year. You are not allowed to remain inverted and do an inverted turn to come back into line. That will zero the subsequent sequence. Also. you may not push an Immelman (half loop) without the half roll to upright. I was very careful to clarify this with Ty because I have seen people do this in the past. Rule 13.5 states that you may do half rolls up and down only with 1/2 rolls on entry or exit (i.e. Split S or Immelman). Again, the safest approved exit is the half roll to upright then procedural turns to bring you back into alignment to start the second sequence.

I think it is very important that we get a clear understanding of this and what is allowed given that the World's is only a year away. Inverted entry and exit may appear in some unknowns as well as in known sequences. We don't want pilots zeroing their whole sequence because of an illegal turn around maneuver.

I have heard many guys argue that the rules don't say I cannot do this or that. But in this case the rule 13.5 is properly interpreted in a very literal sense. It tells you what is allowed, but anything outside of that is NOT ALLOWED.

I have seen a draft article that Ty Lyman intends to put up on the IMAC site that will reinforce the concepts I have described here. Not sure exactly when it will appear on the IMAC site but you might want to keep your eyes open for it.
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
Capcanuck
RCC Apprentice

I am: Lee P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Re: Intermediate Sequence Entry and Exit 2017

Great clarification Bill. Merci
Former Team Canada IMAC member
Capcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:42 AM   #3
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1

Bill, in the past for foot print and timing issues, the exit of the roller cross box inverted. we could do just a half outside loop. Then when going in bound finish the half roll.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Mailloux View Post
Bill, in the past for foot print and timing issues, the exit of the roller cross box inverted. we could do just a half outside loop. Then when going in bound finish the half roll.
Hi Bryan - if you exit inverted and push an outside loop you are upright coming back in, but the half roll (outside loop) is not allowed in 13.5. Iif you then did a half roll you would be inverted again. Cannot fly around inverted and also cannot do two half rolls sequentially back to upright.

Just saying don't do it. If exit inverted, half roll to upright then procedure turns back into alignment for either the second sequence or landing.
NCFR Judging Instructor
Old 02-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
BMG
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brendan G.
Radio of choice:
18MZ
# of RCs: 1.5

Total Props: 3

Thanks Bill, great information for a highly discussed topic.

I'll have to practice that exit as my rollers typically end up quite a way out. I used the pull (from upright), and push (from inverted) methods in the past just to save time and start heading back in as quickly as possible. Maybe I can start the roller from a closer line and slow it down a bit.

Doesn't hurt to be thinking sequences through this time of year to plan how they will be flown and look.

Brendan

IMAC Team Canada 2014
Coach Team Canada 2018
BMG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 1

Opps just the out side loop.
My point was for footprint and time it is more important to not be in the box deep while inverted to try and do a half roll.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #7
Capcanuck
RCC Apprentice

I am: Lee P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

Ah the perils of the 1/4 roller! I remember one year they had it as a roller in...talk about panic then😱
Former Team Canada IMAC member
Capcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Mailloux View Post
Opps just the out side loop.
My point was for footprint and time it is more important to not be in the box deep while inverted to try and do a half roll.
Nope - not allowed. This is where the rule 13.5 has a bit of an anomaly and I have been discussing this with our Chief Judge. If you exit the roller upright and then pull a half loop with half roll at the top, technically that is allowed. But from inverted you are not allowed to push the half outside roll if you don't also include a half roll.

I know, I know, I know - don't argue - it is the way the rule is written. Ty Lyman and I are talking about it. You are only allowed to fly exactly what is specified in 13.5 and nothing outside of that.

Technically you could exit inverted, do a half roll to upright (allowed) then a half loop with half roll at the top (allowed) coming inbound. But really not practical from a pilots point of view as you would use up a lot of real estate on the y outbound axis. Still best from inverted to half roll to upright then procedure turns back into alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcanuck View Post
Ah the perils of the 1/4 roller! I remember one year they had it as a roller in...talk about panic then��
I remember trying to fly one of those in an Unknown for about day 3 of the Worlds in 2014. First time I ever had to fly a 90 degree roller inbound. If I remember correctly it was preceded by a cross box humpty going outbound and then the roller coming back in. Was one of those sphincter tightening moments !
NCFR Judging Instructor
Old 02-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
garyr1
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Gary R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 5

Clarification on the intermediate sequence roller (#10) Is this 45 degrees as I see it drawn?

Last edited by garyr1; 02-08-2017 at 12:33 PM.
garyr1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
BMG
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brendan G.
Radio of choice:
18MZ
# of RCs: 1.5

Total Props: 3

Gary:

There are no maneuvers that exit at a 45 degree angle. 90 degrees for #10.

IMAC Team Canada 2014
Coach Team Canada 2018
BMG is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.