Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 8
Legal Turnaround Maneuvers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Pilots - in case any of you have not been looking at the IMAC web site, it is important that you are aware of the following clarification. This is still being debated on FG but Ty is trying to put all this to bed for now.

Greetings IMAC pilots, judges, and enthusiasts.
Recent confusion and discussion regarding Rule 13.5 (legal turn-around figures) makes it clear that some review and clarification are in order. After much discussion, the IMAC Board of Directors and the Chief Judging Instructor firmly believe it is in IMAC’s best interest to stay consistent with what we have taught for years in judging schools from a local to an international level. What does that mean for judges and pilots? The only permitted turn-around figures are as follows:
• Turns;
• Half Cubans with only a single ½ roll on the 45 down line;
• Reverse Half Cubans with only a single ½ roll on the 45 up line;
The ½ roll is optional based on aircraft positioning required to enter the aerobatic airspace;
• Half loops up or down (Immelmann or Split S) with only one half roll on entry or exit;
• Single half roll to inverted immediately prior to entering the aerobatic airspace for the case in which an inverted entry to the first maneuver is required;
• Single half roll to upright immediately after exiting the aerobatic airspace for the case in which an inverted exit from the last maneuver is required;
• A vertical up or down line with a simple push/pull for entry and exit. A single 1/2 roll is allowed on this vertical line only if required to orient the aircraft properly for entry to the first maneuver.

For the purposes of further clarifying the issue at hand, and ensuring consistent application of the rules at ALL IMAC contests, all turn-around figures are considered to be positive in nature (initiating from upright flight). Should a sequence end in inverted flight, the pilot is to perform a single half roll to upright after which other legal turn around figures may be executed. Pursuant to rule 13.5, exceptions to these limitations may only be directed by the CD or line boss in the course of safely managing the airspace. Pilots are to follow any such directions and no penalty will apply.
We are very aware that the textual ambiguity of the current rule leaves open the possibility for multiple interpretations. However, we also feel it is extremely important to maintain a standard that is consistent with how we have instructed over the course of several years. There is an established protocol for instituting rules changes, and deviating from that process could undermine the credibility of our organization. Rest assured that we will engage that process to address the exposed short comings of the current Rule 13.5.
Thank you very much,
IMAC BoD
Ty Lyman - IMAC Chief Judging Instructor
Assistant RD NCFR Ontario
NCFR Judging Instructor
Billpilotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Re: Legal Turnaround Maneuvers

Just to be clear especially for Intermediate pilots with the 90 degree roller as the last maneuver:

You may not push an outside immelmann to exit. No, no, not allowed. If you do this in any sequence I am judging either in a local contest or at the Nats or Worlds I will zero the subsequent sequence. If it is after exiting your second sequence it will be zeroed.

Sorry, not trying to be a miserable SOB. We need to get strict about this especially with Worlds 2018 coming next year. Let's correct the habits now.

The same applies to inverted turns between sequences. You must roll to upright and then turn. There is no such thing as inverted flying between sequences. Not allowed, no way. Inverted flying after exiting the first sequence will zero the second sequence.

Also for a sequence which start inverted, once you are inverted you are committed to the box. You cannot roll inverted, decide you don't like your line and then not call the box.

When I taught the Muncie school this year there were three scenarios that I came up with that would let you bail out once inverted without penalty:

- a true avoidance where you have to avoid because of potential collision
- the judges advise they are not ready, but you should have checked before going inverted so this is a marginal one.
- sudden fly over by a full scale aircraft that had not been spotted before you roll inverted.

If you can think of others please ask but those were the only credible ones I could come up with.

As always, feel free to ask or post questions, but we really need to correct some of these things. I am aware of contests in the US where the Intermediate pilots were doing inverted turns between sequences or push Immelmans and this was not corrected. It needs to be clear and not allowed.
NCFR Judging Instructor

Last edited by Billpilotca; 05-15-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 34

I was just out practising today and watched a young guy flying the Intermediate routine. He setup for the box by pushing an outside half Cuban to an inverted exit and he finished the roller and exited the box by pushing a half outside loop
We chatted about the rules...

Old 05-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Billpilotca
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpetman View Post
I was just out practising today and watched a young guy flying the Intermediate routine. He setup for the box by pushing an outside half Cuban to an inverted exit and he finished the roller and exited the box by pushing a half outside loop
We chatted about the rules...
Hi Gordon - just to be clear and I have reviewed this with Ty. You can omit the half rolls in the Half Cuban / Reverse Half Cuban if required to align yourself inverted. That is allowed.

• Half Cubans with only a single ½ roll on the 45 down line;
• Reverse Half Cubans with only a single ½ roll on the 45 up line;
The ½ roll is optional based on aircraft positioning required to enter the aerobatic airspace;

That last line refers specifically to the Half Cubans.

But I would caution anyone to do it that way. Because once you come out inverted you are committed to the box (unless avoidance, full scale, judges suddenly wave you off).

Best way is always to come out upright and when judges ready and you want to call the box, roll inverted and call the box.

Whatever you do, do not call the box then roll to inverted or you just zeroed the first maneuver.

You are correct though. Exiting inverted then pushing the outside loop or immelmann is not allowed. Only allowable exit from inverted is 1/2 roll to upright.

Thanks for posting - it is only through these discussions that we can all learn.

FYI - there could be a RCP - Rule Change Proposal re Legal Turn Arounds but it would not be possible now until 2019 - after the Worlds. So we better stick to what is allowed now.
NCFR Judging Instructor

Last edited by Billpilotca; 05-21-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.