Hobby Topgun Mig-15 - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #31
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Re: Hobby Topgun Mig-15

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Ken, the Mig went together quite nicely, but modifications are always needed. Installed electric retracts and much better struts than the ones supplied, they were terrible. I did like the wheels though. I have it ready for an 8 cell setup, so lots of power. Just have to get the servo wires for the ailerons threaded into the fuse. Hoping to give it a maiden this weekend, depending on the weather.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #32
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203

Another club member recently completed his HTG Mig15 with an 8S Mercury Alloy fan. He used the stock legs which caused bumpy landings unless landed very slow or in grass. The nose gear length is too long pushing the plane back into the air. He is now going to put different legs on and get the plane to sit in a more level attitude in its wheels. It isn't good to sit very nose high.
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...77&postcount=1
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #33
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Well, as we all know, we have good days at the field and we have bad days at the field. Today, I had a very good day. Since I haven't flown since early June, maybe even before that, I parked my ego in the van and allowed my bud, Ted, to maiden the Mig. And maiden it he did, needed some tweeking in the aileron alignment, but other than that, no issues, the takeoff was really smooth, the flying aspects were quite good and the first landing was beautiful. But it's definitely not a speed demon, even with the 2000 watts of power. The jet fan sounded really nice as well.
The inexpensive Hobby King retracts and landing gear stuts worked great as well, all in all, very happy with it.
After adjusting the ailerons, the second flight was even better with a slower approach but attempted a go around, just as he was pulling out, the lipos started to die, so a smooth turn back to the field and a nice landing.
The battery packs were a bit warm, so will cut some cooling holes in the intake duct ahead of the battery position and a good size one aft of the canopy area infont of the fan. Shoukd suck in enough air to cool the area properly.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #34
radlouni
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Raed A
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 1

very nice build
radlouni is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #35
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Well darn, on the forth flight for this jet, smoke came out of the tail cone, and alll went quiet. Fortunately, was high enough and going the right direction to make a normal approach, but the slight breeze blew me off the runway and nearly stalled trying to correct, but, landed it did, only a scuff on the nose where it rolled back onto the runway.

Checked everything, the temperature of the motor was 160F. Let it cool down and tested the electronics, the ESC seemed good, but the poor motor just sputtered momentarily.

Of course, the hobby shop here doesn't carry EDF motors, so having my son bring me two fresh Mega's when he comes here on the 24th. Thought I had brought a spare, nope, oops.

So, will have to get my other two EDF's ready now.

Oh, the model itself is very nice to fly, takeoffs are very smooth and scale like, steady in flight, will do a loop from level flight, and landing characteristics are what we all hope for. It's really a shame they discontinued the model instead of addressing the issues.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #36
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

My son arrived today via Air Canada, brought me two new Mega's and two new Hoaye EDF units. Will get them setup and installed in the Mig. The JetFan sounds really nice and very smooth running, but the Hoaye outperforms it on a seven cell setup. I'll still use the eight cell as the model balances well with those batteries, but will adjust the throttle settings so it will not exceed the 90 amp maxium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5208.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	1181529  
Old 06-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #37
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I had the Mig stored in the trailer which was in my garage since September. It's unheated but I thought it would be ok. Well, today, I took it to the flying field, plugged in the BEC and nothing happened, discovered both the positive and the negative wires had corroded off the circuit panel. So, drove home, grabbed another BEC and returned to the field. Plugged it in and the model came alive. Flipped the retract switch and just one main wheel dropped done. The other two were dead.
I guess the cold storage wasn't a good idea for the electronics. I won't be doing that again.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:54 PM   #38
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

A bit frustrating dealing with electronics, after removing the retracts and extensions, all were inspected and looked ok. Connected everything up and low and behold, everything works. So, figuring it had to be the connections and a bit of corrosion. So, off to Canadian Tire tomorrow and get some electrical contact cleaner. Might clean all the connections throughout the model while I'm at it.
So, I applied some white grease to the jack screws and trunnions since I had them out.
Also, because I had made the harness, I set it up so the retracts will have their own separate battery. So instead of taking power through the receive, they get direct electricity. There was a noticeable increase in performance.
I'll be doing this for every jet, 70 mm EDF and bigger, from now on.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:10 PM   #39
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203

What are you powering your RX with?

Wouldn’t it be easier to just run one strong BEC at say 5.5 or 6V?
Those 20 amp YEP BEC’s do a fine job for me. I know they are overkill and never work even half their capacity but you won’t be getting any voltage sag!
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...77&postcount=1
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:09 AM   #40
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I'm using a Castle Creation BEC and a 2200 2 cell to power the receiver and a 1000 2 cell to power the retracts.

The ESC is a Castle Creation 100 Amp item.

However, the EDF and motor is the same as I used on my fiberglass Arrow with a seven cell battery setup. It produced just over 2100 watts of power mounted in the Arrow. But, for whatever reason that escapes me, it is now producing only just over 1800 watts of power.

When I tried using an 8 cell setup, at about half throttle the motor started pulsing and stuttering.

So, I have an RC Lander 90 mm with a 1000 KV motor, on a ten cell setup, its alleged to produce 4600 watts all day long, 5200 on a burst. So I'll mount that in Big Red and see what the numbers are with an 8 cell setup, since I already have the batteries for this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in