How Often Should I... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #1

Total Props: 57
How Often Should I...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Recharge my glow plug igniter, it`s not top notch and today i biked with my stuff to practice a bit and got about 3/4 of the way through and it died, yes i will get another one, how many time`s roughly do you think i can use it and i don`t want to over charge it so how long should the charge be ??

Thank`s Again !!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
brent-kyle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: kyle
Radio of choice:
kicx 106

Total Props: 0
i put mine on the chrager everytime im not using it, and iv never had a problem.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
imported_Dukk
RCC Apprentice

Lightbulb

hm, in the 2 months (2gal of fuel) I have had my SavageX I have charged my glo igniter twice I think. I keep an Ofna with an alkaline D in it in my kit box though, just in case
imported_Dukk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
bobf24
RCC Expert Contributor

I charge mine the night before any time I know I'll be running, and then the times between when I didn't plan on running in advance its still got lots of charge,
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
1nferno
RCC Contributor

charging glo igniters

different makes have different rates they charge at, but a good rule of thumb I have used is if it is a warm it is done.
1nferno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
what kind of charger do you have? is it the wall charger that comes with the ignitor?
Take the battery out and tell me if its a nimh or nicad, and what number is on the side of it ... like for example 1700, 1300, 3600, 4800.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
what kind of charger do you have? is it the wall charger that comes with the ignitor?
Take the battery out and tell me if its a nimh or nicad, and what number is on the side of it ... like for example 1700, 1300, 3600, 4800.
All it say`s is Himoto Racing
Ni-Cd Battery
SC1800mAh 1.2 V

Yes it plug`s into the wall
Old 04-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
ok so that makes it a little tricky... you have a nicad battery in the glow ignitor.
Nicad batterys like to be completely discharged before they're recharged, otherwise they develope whats called a 'memory effect' and will lose some of their capaicty over time.
I would say try to use the glow ignitor as many times as you can before recharging. This may be a little inconvenient, as you may go somewhere to run, and the ignitor dies on you.
In your original post, you say that you will get another one.... next time try to get an ignitor that has a nimh or 'nickle metal hydride' battery in it - they don't suffer from memopry effect like the nicads do. you can plug them onto the wall charger any time you like to recharge.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
ok so that makes it a little tricky... you have a nicad battery in the glow ignitor.
Nicad batterys like to be completely discharged before they're recharged, otherwise they develope whats called a 'memory effect' and will lose some of their capaicty over time.
I would say try to use the glow ignitor as many times as you can before recharging. This may be a little inconvenient, as you may go somewhere to run, and the ignitor dies on you.
In your original post, you say that you will get another one.... next time try to get an ignitor that has a nimh or 'nickle metal hydride' battery in it - they don't suffer from memopry effect like the nicads do. you can plug them onto the wall charger any time you like to recharge.
Like i said it was a cheap one, came with the truck.
Ok i will, thanks a lot.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
imported_wes
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Wes

Or instead of buying a whole new igniter, just buy a new cell. I'm assuming it's a sub-C size cell like those used in stick packs for 1:10 electric cars. Just go to your local hobby shop and grab a 3000mah or higher nimh cell for 10 bucks.
imported_wes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in