Seperate batteries for servos and receiver Schematic? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:13 PM   #11
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looks like your power bus pro is doing the same thing as Ron Chapman.

Every battery has its own internals resistance. As you draw more amps from the battery, the voltage measured at the terminals will drop. ( even on a fully charged battery)
When several power-hungry servo's ramp up at the same time the voltage to the receiver could drop to a point where it will no longer operate normally.
What you are describing is powering the receiver seperate from everything else. This way the receiver will always have clean power. You can NOT do this with a single battery and a regulator. The regulator can not help you when the voltage drops too low.
Connecting the negative lead or ground provides the receiver and servo's with a common source to measure the signal wire from. By NOT bridging the positive lead you are able to isolate the two batteries from each other.

Please note: this is not a backup type system. Both batteries are draining at the same time and if one dies the other will not power the other half of the system.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Jessie

I always use two battery packs both on their own switch and plugged into the receiver. Both packs were Sanyo 700mAH AA Ni-Cads.

I'm not sure where you got the info about it being a Must to use Giant Scale servos on anything 1/4 scale and over??? Like I said, I have always used standard servos on a Cub. They don't really ( for scale flying) fly that fast and they are not meant to be fully aerobatic. A few years back they were probably more commonly used due to the fact that they were all that was available to have a bit more servo power in larger models but todays modern servos are much better quality and probably just as strong as the older giant servos.

I would probably use a giant servo on the rudder of an aerobatic plane in the 30% scale range but really think personally that its unnecessary on anything smaller. Save the $$ and the weight and just use a good quality standard BB servos like Hitec HS425's if your worried about quality and that should be more than adaquate on a 1/4 scale Cub.

Even on a single 700mAH battery pack there should be no problem having enough battery power. JMHO but it has always worked fine for me!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:10 PM   #13
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
I also read somewhere about using a buss for dual batteries for the servo's and also 2, 500mah packs on the reciever. The differance was that there was a diode inserted in each power line so that if one pack failed you would not be trying to charge the dead pack. I have been thinking of setting one up later. I know Futaba and some of the others are calling for 6 volts on the servo's but I still like the standard 4.8 on the reciever. Just a thought anyways.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in