E-Flite Power 110/CC Phoenix HV-85 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
ULTIMATE1
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian Mitchell
Radio of choice:
JR XG 11 2.4 DMSS

Total Props: 0
Item is sold E-Flite Power 110/CC Phoenix HV-85

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
E-Flite Power 110/CC Phoenix HV-85

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I run this on a 10 cell Li-po Instructions say 8-S to 9-S will a 10-S Kill the motor?

MAAC#36018

Last edited by ULTIMATE1; 04-13-2010 at 04:03 PM.
ULTIMATE1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Mike Anderson
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mike Anderson
Radio of choice:
JETI DS-24
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 1
Re: E-Flite Power 110/CC Phoenix HV-85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATE1 View Post
E-Flite Power 110/CC Phoenix HV-85

Can I run this on a 10 cell Li-po Instructions say 8-S to 9-S will a 10-S Kill the motor?
It's not the motor that's affected it's your battery. The max cell count is related to the low voltage cutoff limits for the ESC's. For the Phoenix, for example the highest LVC you can program in is 36 volts. That's based on a per-cell LVC of 3 volts, which is what manufacturers recommend. So 12 cells at 3 volts min is 36 volts, hence the 12 S max allowable cell count.

If you used 14s the 36V LVC would bring cells down to 2.6v/cell, which would shorten their life considerably.

BTW all Phoenix HV's have a 12 cell max cell count.
Mike Anderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
rcpilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Maqsood

Total Props: 0

I beleive he is asking if he can run the motor on 10S instead of 8-9. If so, the answer is yes, AS Long as you select a prop that does not draw more amps than the motor is rated for. If you add more cells, you need to go down in size for prop to maintain the same amp draw, if you go lower on cells, you need to go up in size on the prop to get same power.
More cells and less amp draw to get same power is most of the times better than using less cells and higher AMP draw.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXS...hYlGsXmhcYNn9g
rcpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

Ultimate1,

Same as the other 2 posts, 10S will not be a problem.

Mike,
The motor will have a maximum operating voltage based on its design. If you look at the effeciency curves from the manufacturers the effeciency of a motor will decrease when the voltage is above or below certain levels. Each motor has a sweet spot, in this case 8S to 9S.

RCpilot is correct. Adjust your prop so at 10S the overall power (watts) does not exceed the rating for the motor.
Example with easy math, if your motor was rated for 360watts.
That could be 8s (30Volts) at a 12 amp draw
Or 10S (36volts) at a 10 amp draw

At the same power level, (360watts) the 10S setup would run cooler. The risk comes if you start trying to pull 400 or 500 watts from the motor simply because the battery can now deliver more. This would be equal to leaning out your nitro motor. You can get more power, but in the end it may come at a cost.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Mike Anderson
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mike Anderson
Radio of choice:
JETI DS-24
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1 View Post
Mike, The motor will have a maximum operating voltage based on its design. . . .
When I replied I made a mental assumption the motor would not be the limiting factor, since the question seemed to centred around what the ESC was capable of. I should have stated my assumption up front.

Umm I don't want to start a fight, but the maximum allowable rpm of a motor - it's mechanical limits - dictate it's maximum allowable voltage. Is that what you meant by " . . based on it's design . . ?"

Last edited by Mike Anderson; 09-30-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Mike Anderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
tech1
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Eric T

Total Props: 2

Maximum allowable RPM is only a part of the whole story. (I am not saying you are wrong) The motors RPM is affected from both input and output. Both the battery voltage as well as the load will affect the RPM's. The problem is I could blow a motor mechanically at high RPM's due to stress which I assume is your point. I could also blow it at lower RPM's by overloading it and drawing too much power with a huge prop. I think we in the hobby blow more motors due to the latter reason. Similar to leaning out your nitro engine, there is always the temptation to go faster and develop more power without icreasing the power plant itself.

While it takes a little education, we should be looking at a power system (motors, battery, ESC) in terms of the power rating. (watts) It becomes much easier to see how a perticular system will fit into an application. (either plane or heli)
With Vulcan1, the concern is that a bigger battery can deliver more power into the system. going up 1s is not really a big concern unless the motor was already grossly under rated for the plane it is going in.
tech1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Michael in Toronto
RCC Contributor

I am: Michael R

Total Props: 12

After some consideration, I will also be using 10S with my E-Flite 110 and CC85amp ESC.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944901

I used to use a 17/10 prop on 9 cells, rarely exceeded 1/2 throttle in an 11 pound Spitfire, and everything stayed cool.

I purchased a 17/8 prop for testing.
Michael in Toronto is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in