MAAC Magazine and the heli part in it.....anyone notiice ??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
Oilman72
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Question MAAC Magazine and the heli part in it.....anyone notiice ???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am wondering does anyone notice that in every monthly MAAC mag in the heli section that 75% + of the discussion is about Century helicopters? Why is this,,, seems to be pretty centered around it. I mean there are "several" other brands and models out there to be had, all the discussions seem to be involving a century heli or product,,,, why is this????
Oilman72 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #2
G-copterbous-funk
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John Appleseed

Re: MAAC Magazine and the heli part in it.....anyone notiice ???

Because the guy (Phil Noel) writing is the Canadian Century distributor. That's the product he knows and has access to. If you guys want other products in there I suggest you do some writing. I'm sure Phil would encourage it. One man cannot do everything and MAAC does not pay for articles. It's a time consuming thank less task IMHO.
G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Skybolt
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike B.

I do agree with G-copterbous-funk that Phil will be glad to received some material for publication from MAAC member for publication in his column.

I think at one point he did a post here on RCCanada requesting to send him your event for listing.

Phil has honour us of his presence at our Heli fun fly (Stetsons flyers) three times and did a write up in MAAC mag about our fun fly.

He was always available to help everybody with their heli regardless of the brand and your flying level.

I learn a lot from his posting on different forums on the internet and his generous help at our fun fly with my heli.

I would like to get more implicated in writing in the future but I have to build my knowledge base first and find time to do it.

B.T.W. our fourth edition will be August 15 this year.

http://www.stetsonflyers.com/
Skybolt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Donovan R

Morning All

I noticed a picture of a Vario Helicopter in the last Heli column. Phil couldn't fit a picture of me in as well but I have made the extreme sacrifice and given up Beer and Pizzas maybe for ever. {:>) Ever have Gout? {:<)

cheers
don dow
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #5

Total Props: 57

OK. I will be the devils advocate and tell the real story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-copterbous-funk View Post
Because the guy (Phil Noel) writing is the Canadian Century distributor. That's the product he knows and has access to. If you guys want other products in there I suggest you do some writing. I'm sure Phil would encourage it. One man cannot do everything and MAAC does not pay for articles. It's a time consuming thank less task IMHO.

NOT entirely, Phil is getting thousands of free advertising Dollars by MAAC and of course its blatantly obvious that he is trying to pawn off Century Helicopters as the #1 heli to have its his lively hood!

Quote:
Phil has honour us of his presence at our Heli fun fly (Stetsons flyers) three times and did a write up in MAAC mag about our fun fly.
HAHA, Honoured?
Phil is a Nice guy over opinionated about anything heli related though! He chooses to have a holiday as a tax write off and advertise for Century by going to fun fly's that have his field REPs....Its his business more than his passion as it seems to me.

Also seems to me the other REPs for other Heli Brands cough(raptor)cough(Colin bell) cough, should get off there ass and send in a short write up of what fun fly's/competitions they attended to really do justice for there free heli parts or discount this also go's for Align and such as they are the REAL NUMBER ONE SOLD R/C HELI and have not done any write ups...or have they submitted a article and it was over-looked?!

OR IS IT THEY WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH PHIL???

Now continue on, Devil mask off
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Dow View Post
Morning All

I noticed a picture of a Vario Helicopter in the last Heli column. Phil couldn't fit a picture of me in as well but I have made the extreme sacrifice and given up Beer and Pizzas maybe for ever. {:>) Ever have Gout? {:<)

cheers
don dow

Sorry Don forgot to include you into my avocation for the devil...Scale heli aludes to Century's number one money maker besides the beginner Hawk/Raven heli line, there entry level scale bodies and they are verey nice.

You won't see any detailed pictures of new heli's on the market, Take for instance Phil was at a western Canada Fun fly last summer were 3 NEW heli brands were on display and flown by verey compitent pilots! but NO write up or mention of these , a vari scale was pictured it was nice and IMHO one the worlds best scale kits you can buy.
But the Century hype was number one topic...like hearing Rain man "definatley century definatley century 12pm talk about century" LOL.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilman72 View Post
I am wondering does anyone notice that in every monthly MAAC mag in the heli section that 75% + of the discussion is about Century helicopters? Why is this,,, seems to be pretty centered around it. I mean there are "several" other brands and models out there to be had, all the discussions seem to be involving a century heli or product,,,, why is this????
in all due fairness why would ford do a right up about chev?
i have met phil in person at a local field and he was very personable man.
he was help full in answering all my questions about helis.encouraged me to join the club and come fly often.

ps he didnt peddle century to me once in the conversations with me.
as a matter of fact i asked him about it and his reply was to support the local hs
he has pmed me and asked how my flying was going.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
G-copterbous-funk
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John Appleseed

I'll just bet ya if MAAC offered a free years membership for every featured and published helicopter article this might stop the pointing of fingers, get a few members off their rump to start writing for maac about a favorite machine.

Maybe this suggestion could be put forth to the maac association at the next meeting. Advertisers might also benefit from a more serious and active heli-club participation. Average heli guys tend to spend substantial effort on the hobby driving the things regualrly into the dirt and modifying stuff so why should this effort be any different?
G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Colin
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 13

I don't understand how some people can be so unappreciative of someone else’s work (not you Oilman72). If Phil wasn’t writing the heli section for the MAAC mag I doubt we would have one at all. Take it for what it is and be glad we have a helicopter column

Colin

Last edited by Colin; 12-13-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Colin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wene View Post
[B]NOT entirely, Phil is getting thousands of free advertising Dollars by MAAC and of course its blatantly obvious that he is trying to pawn off Century Helicopters as the #1 heli to have its his lively hood!

HAHA, Honoured?
Phil is a Nice guy over opinionated about anything heli related though! He chooses to have a holiday as a tax write off and advertise for Century by going to fun fly's that have his field REPs....Its his business more than his passion as it seems to me.
As this whole thread seems to be a personal attack, I will address it a bit on a personal basis.

I think anyone has a right to like me, or dislike me as a person, for what they percieve me to be as a person. I think the only way to really get to know anyone, as a real person, is to relate to them on a personal basis. By that, I mean, if they get a chance to speak with that person to do so....personally, not through third parties or forum threads.

So Wene (an impersonal forum name) and Oilman72 (another forum name), if you do not like something I do as a person, please feel free to come and discuss it with me at the next event that you attend where I also may be.

As for the articles and pictures. I have asked for input on a number of occasions and over the years I have had one or two people send me small articles and I have included them. But the rest of the time I have to wing it myself with what I have. As for the scale part of it and the pictures, I submit a number of pictures and it is not me who pics the ones that get published, it is the editor. If he feels that the general readership likes scale pics then so be it. If most of the scale birds I see at events use Vario or Century bodies or mechanics, so be it. They are photographed and submitted with pictures of pod and boomers and also of people, many asociated with other brands. e.g. the three pictures in the June issue

So I guess one can look at it as a glass half full or glass half empty.

The December issue had 5 pictures, two of Century Helicopters 3 of others. October issue had no pictures. August issue had 2 pictures of scale Century helis (other pics where submitted),

June was an intersesting issue which covered a number of events , not one mention of Century in the article part and picture #1 was of John Sisson with his RJX Extreme 50, picture #2 was of a number of flyers (non representing Century) with Shawn Scott (who by the way is mentioned in some of my articles as a great flyer, one of the best in the West, receiving an award. And the third picture of a female flyer, Tina Moor and her Airwolf (and no Wene, it is not a Century Airwolf but a Vario one).

April's issue had no pictures, but the text does mention in a very positive way the indoor Axe CP RTF that Dean Collins was flying at an indoor event I attended and no mention of Century.

February had two pictures and one of a scale Century heli (again a number submitted and a scale one was published) with emphasis on the obvious interest in electric propulsion for our larger helis and how large companies like Mikado, Align, Thunder Tiger & Century are now making specific models for them, and others are converting some of their nitro birds. I am sorry if the only examples I had seen of these conversions at that time, where Century models. You will note the article was more to mention the people that did these conversions and to give Kudos to them.

So that covers all of this past year. As I said at the beginning...glass half full or half empty relative to Century bias. Seems that all is fine if their is no mention of Century, but not if there is. I have never made it a secret that I am associated with Century, or who I am.

Wene, I see nothing wrong with giving Kudos to people and models that are not necessarily gods gift to the flip/flop and fly 3D discipline. From your posts, it seems (I may well be wrong) that you hold scale models and modelers in contempt. I have to admit that I have a lot of respect and admiration for many of the 3D'ers that we see at all events - some great ones from Canada such as Scott Gray, Colin Bell, Leon Luke, Brian Regular, Shawn Scott and I am sure there are a number in Ontario and Quebec that I have not had a chance to see, as with many others. But I also have just as much admiration and respect for the scale modeler and the precision FAI flyer.

As we all well know, the 3D'r gets a reqular ego boost from the R/C heli media and their own fans. So what is wrong with breaking away a bit from that trend and giving some Kudos to those from other R/C helicopter disciplines? If any hot hand out there feels that he needs me to write about them in the Maac mag, then let him please send me some pictures for the editor and I will see about getting something published for him.

If that makes me a rectum in your eyes Wene, then so be it, I will not be losing any sleep over it.

P.S. Thanks to all those that showed support here. I have always enjoyed supporting and promoting all facets of the hobby/sport of R/C helicopters in Canada. I really enjoy the people I have had the honor to meet and get to know, over the past 25 years or so, while attending many events. They have all, by and large, been very stand up people that are assets to themselves and the R/C heli community. If I have been lucky enough to have made it a business, then I hope that does not take away my right to deduct ligitimate expenses from my annual tax submissions.

Last edited by Phil Noel; 12-13-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Phil Noel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in