Spektrum signal loss - Page 14 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 08-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #131
duck899
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob Duck
Radio of choice:
Futaba Faast 7C
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 0
Re: Spektrum signal loss

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a dumb question..... Why do people buy Spektrum radios? I'm just asking is all..... Why do people buy Futaba or any other brand? Myself, I have had one spektrum radio about 5 years ago. I think it was based on advertising as the reason I bought it. I now fly Futaba Fasst (617 rx's) and also use them exclusively in all my race boats. Just wondering why?, if Spektrum still has issues. At our field we have had a few trainers fail using spektrum (new systems) and these were verified pre-flight that batteries were charged and systems worked but in all cases of crashes, a loss of control by an experienced MAAC instructor while flying these systems resulted in the crash. Its kind of a saying around here..... Fly Spektrum and its not "IF", but "WHEN".....
Maac #14457
duck899 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #132
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Richard N
Radio of choice:
Graupner MC28 & MC20 & MZ-32
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 32
Thumbs up Re: Spektrum signal loss

One answer to the question above from my perspective.

Our club has around 90 members give or take. Most use Spektrum equipment, there are maybe eight to ten JR, a couple of Futaba, and a couple of Hitec.

I think most of the Spektrum buyers do so because that is what most of the other guys are using. Also a walk in to the local H.S. and one finds all kinds of BNF stuff everywhere some with the cheap Spektrum Tx included and some without. Point is, it is there and readily available and very reasonably priced. I don't see this with Futaba and Hitec. This is no reflection on the quality or useability of these two systems it's just that the Horizon guys with Spek and JR have really figured out how to sell stuff!

Foam A/C from Spitfires to simple trainer types are readily availalble. You name it they got it. This sells stuff.

What I have a problem with is guys taking the Rx out of the Park Flyer Foamies or the Orange things from HK and putting them in Bigger Stuff. Then they wonder why the have planes disappearing into the bush or crashing on the field. JR indicates park flyers have a suggested range of 300 ft. That is not that far! Can you on a day were there is no other 2.4 interference fly past that probably/maybe BUT!

For those of us that fly big stuff and want precise control this is the system I have gone with and I won't look back. I would think the 3D helicopter maneuvers these guys do would absolutely tax a system and obviously the new JR system works and seeing the results works very well.

Another big issue for me other than the quality of the Tx is how it fits in your hands. You are probably going to be holding the things for hours. Go the the LHS and try it on like you would a pair of shoes. Make sure you hold the Tx as you normally would and move the sticks to the inside extremes. Try out the various switches and buttons to make sure your fingers can reach everything without taking your eyes off the A/C. There is no way I will take my eyes off my airplane while it is in the air.

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/new...ts.php?no=1334

If one wants to see what radios sell check out the stock levels at G.H. Tells a story! They aren't going to stock a lot of radios that don't sell well.

Last edited by cloudniner; 08-25-2012 at 08:32 AM.
cloudniner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #133
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck899 View Post
I have a dumb question..... Why do people buy Spektrum radios? I'm just asking is all..... Why do people buy Futaba or any other brand? Myself, I have had one spektrum radio about 5 years ago. I think it was based on advertising as the reason I bought it. I now fly Futaba Fasst (617 rx's) and also use them exclusively in all my race boats. Just wondering why?, if Spektrum still has issues. At our field we have had a few trainers fail using spektrum (new systems) and these were verified pre-flight that batteries were charged and systems worked but in all cases of crashes, a loss of control by an experienced MAAC instructor while flying these systems resulted in the crash. Its kind of a saying around here..... Fly Spektrum and its not "IF", but "WHEN".....
that's a really good question and most likely the reason for so many different views. when I purchase a radio I do intensive searches to find verified issues, it takes vast numbers of users to determine a QC issue. you don't have to look very hard though to see there are a lot of people having problems with the spektrum branded transmitters .I have no bias when it comes to transmitters I was a life time futaba user until I purchased the 12x .I didn't change because of failure I changed because of features and my research turned up no real issues with the 12x .but I never would have changed to JR at all if they had the same amount of problems as spektrum . Just google spektrum problems there are pot problems switch problems,counters that affect the controls, software issues ,it goes on and on. If you don't have a problem with a spektrum based transmitter that's great but if you do you can't say there was not the information out there to make a educated decision. people are buying them for one reason and one reason only PRICE. I am sure if you could choose any radio at the same price DX18, 14mz or a 12x you would surely then see the quality difference .

Old 08-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #134
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

I Googled "futaba problems" and got lots of hits as well. Here's a typical one:

"I wasn't there, but reading the thread about crashes at Nall, it sure looks like Futaba is having the most issues. Anyone know if this is the case?

I switched from JR/Spektrum six months ago over concerns about DSM 'pick-and-stick' technology and the superiority of FASST. But now I'm wondering if the FASST superiority is offset by having a receiver with two short whisker antennas, that I don't care how well you position them, in a jet it will be impossible to always avoid having them blocked by dense internal components. Seems like having satellite antennas positioned in various locations is a darn good idea."
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #135
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

Not trying to be confrontative Ramjet, but could you please help me and other newbies struggling with this issue to define your sources of data for "intensive searches to find verified issues", how they were verified independently and which ones one would qualify as nuisances and which ones resulted in a loss of control due to actual hardware / software failure in proper installations?

I just cannot find such a database and everywhere I look for every brand name it boils down to hearsay, anecdotal evidence and making "logical" assumptions about product recalls etc.

Very frustrating .............
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #136
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Just another thought.

One of the things that Spek/JR has that is a very good idea is the ability to tell if you are being 'hit' and how many times. I think is one hell of a good idea. It indicates fades and holds. This can be used to tell if you got the antennae and the sats (if used) in the best location. The telemetry unit TM1000 will send back info about these two issues as well.

The small on board device is very cheap I think about $20 or so. It is called a 'Spektrum Flight Log'

I don't know if the other brands have something similar or not.

Remember if you do go down in a crash and the Rx is still plugged in DON'T turn the Rx or the Tx off until you check the flashing red LED on the Rx. This will indicate if you lost the signal and how many times.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ht-log-SPM9540

http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPM9540-Manual.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPM9540_a0.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	162700  
Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #137
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Melnick View Post
Not trying to be confrontative Ramjet, but could you please help me and other newbies struggling with this issue to define your sources of data for "intensive searches to find verified issues", how they were verified independently and which ones one would qualify as nuisances and which ones resulted in a loss of control due to actual hardware / software failure in proper installations?

I just cannot find such a database and everywhere I look for every brand name it boils down to hearsay, anecdotal evidence and making "logical" assumptions about product recalls etc.

Very frustrating .............
No problem I am in the same boat as you when checking issues . there is no data base .you have to read post after post to determine whether or not there is anything to a claim, it's the amount of information on failures you find that can sometimes become a problem . I liked the features of the new spektrum based systems /model match / satellite receivers /powersafe receivers. but that alone was not enough to make me purchase the 12x . I wanted to know if I could find issues with the radio, after many searches I could find next to no complaints from users that would indicate that some of the 12x radios had issues that would impair the safe function of the radio. if you are satisfied with the number of failures posted on your radio that's fine . you may also think it's unfair to compare a 12x with a dx but these are not toasters they both do the same critical job, keeping planes in the air . My findings so far tell me that the higher quality 12x seems to have a lower failure rate than any dx . the only question is how much of a difference does there have to be to spend 4 time as much on a radio. myself I am not interested in some cost to failure ratio ,just what I have to do to have the least failure.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #138
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

Delete post

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 08-25-2012 at 08:22 PM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #139
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Check out the new JR DMSS stuff.

Last edited by cloudniner; 08-25-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #140
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

please delete post

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 08-25-2012 at 08:23 PM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in