bjon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad J
Radio of choice:
Jr 9503
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2
motor cut off

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi,
I could use some direction, I am putting together a indoor foamy, I have an Eflite park 300 and a viper 10 amp esc, 8-3.8 slow flier prop, 3s 25c batts and 2s 70c batts, the trouble I am having is the motor cuts out at around 50% throttle. This is static with me holding the plane. Do \I need to do a simple end point adjustment on my radio or something? After it cuts out I can re arm it and continue. New to electric planes but I have never seen this before.
Thanks in advance for any and all input on this. I do have a 25 amp esc I could try if this 10 amp is too small. Also tried a 7-4 prop and same thing.
Brad
bjon is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
yorcram
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: MRoy
Radio of choice:
Futaba J8

Total Props: 0
Re: motor cut off

check the timing on the ESC. If wrong timing used this can happen. Outrunners normally want hard timing.

m
yorcram is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Michael Hyatt
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michael H

Total Props: 6

Although the viper 10 is a good esc, myself, I'd prefer an esc with a little more room to spare like a 15 or 20 amp esc.
If the esc is overheating, it should cut back, not just shut off, it may be a faulty esc, but check the temperature.
You can set the throttle range, remove the prop, turn on the radio, set the throttle to full, plug the battery into the esc, and after one beep, return the throttle to zero. Check to see if it cuts out now.
You may need to change the esc timing, check the manual for the proper procedure.

F@H (Folding @ Home) Folding Proteins Today for Tomorrows Cures.
Michael Hyatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
bjon
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jr 9503

Thanks for the advice, I will give these things a try and let you know. I do have a larger esc that I will try. The thing that got me on this was that at 2s it cuts out and also at 3s it does as well and it cuts out at the lower end of the throttle. Marc by hard timing what do you mean? I had it set at normal. Would hard be high or low? Michael When you say the esc timing is that the same thing?
Thanks again for the help
Brad
Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Michael Hyatt
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michael H

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjon View Post
Thanks for the advice, I will give these things a try and let you know. Would hard be high or low? Michael When you say the esc timing is that the same thing?
Thanks again for the help
Brad
Yes, it's the same thing, Low, Medium, High, timing. I'm not sure which of those settings would be considered normal for that viper esc.
I'd try high, low and then medium. Set the throttle range first. If that doesn't fix the problem, then try each of the esc timings. Be sure to check the temperature if it still cuts out.
If all of the above doesn't work try a different esc. (It's always best to set the throttle range on each esc the first time it's used.) Some esc's and motors are not compatible.

F@H (Folding @ Home) Folding Proteins Today for Tomorrows Cures.
Michael Hyatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

make sure you don't have the ESC set to 3 cells instead of 2. That will mess up your cutoff.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
bjon
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jr 9503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
make sure you don't have the ESC set to 3 cells instead of 2. That will mess up your cutoff.
Thanks for the reply, I will double check but I believe this has auto detect for 2 or 3 cells, and is cutting out on both 2s and 3s packs, and on a 7x4 or 8x4 prop on both voltages.
I haven't had a chance to try any of the ideas mentioned here I will try them tonight.

Thanks again everyone for the help.
Brad
Old 12-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
bjon
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jr 9503

Well, I tried a new 20 amp esc and problem solved, I will try this problem one on a smaller motor plane combo and see what the results are, thanks again for all the input.
Brad
Old 01-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Other possibility is the batteries are" heading south" . If they don't hold their voltage the esc will sense this and do a cut.... sounds like it to me.. How old are the batteries ?

Have you done a current draw with a wattmeter ?...... invaluable when going electric. If you don't have one maybe borrow one or buy.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
bjon
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jr 9503

Batts brand new, I changed out the esc and all is good, maybe just not compatible as was suggested earlier.
I will try it on a different set up and see what happens.
"Have you done a current draw with a wattmeter ?...... invaluable when going electric. If you don't have one maybe borrow one or buy."
Yes I do have one "I use it for my 550 t-rex" but it is setup on a deans connectors and I wasn't to the point of getting into making adapters for it just yet. I will definitely be building some soon.
Flying 100cc gassers is just sooooo much simpler.
Thanks again for the ideas, all input is greatly appreciated as one never stops learning.
Brad

Last edited by bjon; 01-01-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in