RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
What to buy in a Gas engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a sig rascal that I was going to put my 120 saito in . After going to the field the other day I watched a fellow with a Patty Wagstaff fly on gas .
Oh God I got bitten

So what for a first gasser what would be a good choice that would give me small in size no problems with electrics and dependabilty.

Pleas guys I said reasanable.
Thanks guys

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
I can't answer your question as I have no experience with gas.

I guess, you need to define what you mean by reasonable. You already know that most planes have recommended engine sizes with the larger ones giving recommendations for both glow and gas-wise.

You talking about size? Make? Cost?
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
airframe

I have a DA50 in my Patty Wagstaff Extra 300 and it is a awesome combination. The DA is great engine, very easy to handle and if it is your first gasser it is would be the one I'd recommend. It is easy to start and maintain,I've never had to make a adjustment to it.

I have a DA100 and DA50 and they are excellent.

Mike Sebastien
airframe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
AC/DC-patrice

i have a DA 50 in my velox and it is one of the best engine i saw

patrice
AC/DC-patrice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
IF your talking about a gasser for a Patty, then yes, a DA50 is an excellent choice.

BUT you said you needed a gasser for a 1.20 sized plane (Sig Rascal) and you want something reasonably priced, then I would recommend something like a Zenoah G26 for ease of use, relyability, tonns of power, reasonable cost and inexpensive to operate! If you check out the specs, it has the same power range as a good 1.20 - 1.50 four stroke glow engine. MHO only! BUT remember, a gasser is going to be a fair bit heavier than a glow engine of the same power so theres that trade-off to think about..

Perhaps someone could recommend something else in a gasser, the power range you need that may not be quite so heavy but then your getting into bigger $$. Something to consider if your trying to keep the price down!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #6
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

gasser

has anyone tried the evolution that Great hobbie sells for 499.
It can be seen here.
Sig Rascal say 21 to 25 CC

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EVOE26GT
Old 08-07-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
David_Moen

THe Evo 26 is acutally a re-badged version of the MVVS 26cc gasser which is a great little engine to get you familiar with gas engines, our best seller in fact. It fits into a alot of 1.20 sized airplanes and is powerful and easy to operate.
David_Moen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #8
Don M.

I just started running a MVVS 1.6 gasser this summer and it is 100% user friendly. One thing you have to take into account is the weight. I have an OS 120 and it weighs about 35 ozs. with muffler the MVVS with a tuned pipe & header weighs 60zs. a considerable difference. You could save about 8 ozs. by going to a reg. muffler but the MVVS is so quiet & powerful with the pipe I would hate to take it off.

I was recently looking for a 50cc gas engine and after much thought and research I just ordered a Taurus ( SORRY DAVID ). I started a thread on one of those other RC Sites asking for comments on the Taurus and much to my surprise in about 50 posts I had 0% negative feedback.

The choice is yours but I can tell you that there are a lot of planes out there that just don't sound / feel right without a 4 - stroke in it, I have about 10 - 4 - strokes and 4 - gas engines, there is a place for both.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #9
ronljroy
RCC Contributor

I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 18

Regardless of the engine used, if it's gas, I recommend battery ignition. These are easier to start.
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
Don M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronljroy
Regardless of the engine used, if it's gas, I recommend battery ignition. These are easier to start.

That goes without saying. I have a Q42 that's been sitting in the box for over 10 years. Even though it starts well it's just too darn heavy and underpowered. I have a Brison 2.4, same size as the Quadra but is a full pound lighter and will spin the same prop 1000 more rpm's.
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in