Thule Airplane Carrier - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #11

Total Props: 57
Talking Re: Thule Airplane Carrier

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejock View Post
Just get a cargo van and be done with it! Tex.
Or get a Minivan as they consume less gas but does carry 8' to 10-1/2' long models in their cabin...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 180.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	33869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 183.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	33870  
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #12
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Re: Thule Airplane Carrier

I have both a van and a small car and I can certainly see the benefit of using the car but I have used a small trailer once and it carried a lot of planes. I did tow it vith the van because it was full too.

Even though the trailer was smaller than the van it actually held more planes because it was easier to pack.

Getting back to the posted topic:

The carrier on top only makes sense if it is easy to load. If the plane is too big it could be very awkward. Landing gears are different heights and widths.
To make a single carrier to do that job just doesn't seem too practical to me.

Making one for an individual vehicle shouldn't be too difficult but when you don't need it where are you going to store it?

I think making one that just has a bottom and folding sides and ends might be better. The top could be just a tarp to cover it on the way to and from the field. Remove it from the car and it will store flat.

If you were trying to carry a large size plane how much longer would the top carrier be than the actual length of the roof? Ther are a lot of limitations.

That is certainly a challenge.

Good luck to those who take it up.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
bobreib
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
FRSKY Taranis & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

It seems a waste to drive a big van every day just so that I can take a plane to the field on the weekend.
Another snag with the car top carrier is lifting a 25 to 45 pound model into the carrier.
I see an advantage to a trailer in that I could use it to store the plane during the week.
I wonder if something like a motorcycle trailer could be adapted to carrying models ? Something nice and light that an old bugger like me can handle without getting a hernia ?
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
If you were trying to carry a large size plane how much longer would the top carrier be than the actual length of the roof?
My kayak is longer than a car roof by far, come to think of it, if you sliced open a kayak and hinged it, it would come close to the required shape.

Oh yeah, my kayak is a beefy 50lbs.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0

This is what I use and I have worn the tires off of it many tmes. It has 2 trips to Ontario which was 2200 miles one way, 3 trips to Vancouver, and around 10 years on our racing circuit and they are all long trips. I originally had it flat with a pointed front and it could hold 16 racing aircraft and required gear for 4 guy's. I had a large car (Caddy) and 4 of us used to travel together. My maintainance was put a coat of paint and check it over in the Spring and carried a grease gun. The hubs have the Buddy caps and I put a shot of grease in every fillup on the road. Breakdowns over the years where none and it never give me trouble.
Now it is modified to carry my CF100 if I ever get back to it. The back opens and the front top section in front of the slope also opens. The tongue weight is about 25lbs. and I put all the heavy parts at the front when travelling. It looks like H""L but that is the way I wanted it because looking that rough nobody would want to take or break into it. It is an old tent trailer frame stripped down and built with a 5/8" floor and 3/8" sides and top. The joints have 1 x 2's glued and screws in everything. If I patched the bolt holes I could probably go fishing. It could be towed by anything as it is very light and tracks good up to about 120K's.
Thought I would let everybody see what I use.
John

Last edited by Vulcan1; 10-19-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in