What to do - Someone selling RC lessons - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #51
DaveJohansen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dave J
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0
Re: What to do - Someone selling RC lessons

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just my 2 cents... I have no problem for pay for instruction, even if a club sets it up.

Some earlier posts made reference to losing non-profit status if a fee was charged. Here is an example, St John Ambulance is a non-profit organization, they will charge you for a class and they pay their instructors for teaching. The only requirement is they remain non-profit, they can make money to cover their expenses. Why not MAAC (sorry to bring them back into this) or a club. There was an earlier comment about paid instruction would be a commercial enterprise, to me commercial means for profit, looking for return on investment.

It is getting harder to have instructors commit their time, we need to come up with some way to maintain the hobby.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #52
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13

As I stated earlier i have no issues with paying for instruction it may produce more qualified pilots quicker which in the long run helps the hobby.

Let's say said instructor was teaching said student and had a catastrophic failure and hit say your car while driving by said private land ,because we have established there is no coverage from maac if they both were members. So are you all still ok with someone charging for instruction and possibly not having any liability insurance for say the above incident. I'm sure your opinion might change a tad.

As i posted earlier all the power to said instructor in helping promote him or herself and the hobby but come on is it wrong to see some responsibility from either party in the form of insurance.
I'd be pretty choked if it were me driving by and been hit and have to sue for damages etc.

Liability is huge these days protect yourselves. And trust me if your homeowners insurance found out you were charging for flying and you had an incident you would be on your own.

The question was asked originally what do you think ........
He is getting many opinions on the subject and we are all entitled to them.

The hobby isn't what it used to be and it's too bad.
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #53
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8

Never mind instruction...I'd pay for decent weather and a day off to fly!
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #54
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev-o View Post
I'd be pretty choked if it were me driving by and been hit and have to sue for damages etc.
An entirely hypothetical and unlikely scenario.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #55
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKovats View Post
I find it interesting that I was at the KW rally (and many others, I am not singling out the KW rally) that was sanctioned by Maac and it seems if you are a demonstration pilot you don't have to stand behind the flight lines or the barriers as required by maac insurance.
Demo pilots purposely move out so that when they are flying low they are further out from the crowd. This has been done for many years at many events. The fences are to prevent stray aircraft from hitting you while you fly. If you are doing a demo and flying by yourself then why is it bad to increase spectator safety. If the pilot is a demo pilot he has been qualified as competent and he increases the risk to himself to decrease the risk to the hundreds or thousands of spectators.

When demos are flown with more than one plane all pilots were behind the flight gates.

Our rally really has nothing to do with a guy selling lesson but just so everyone reading is aware, the rally was completely in check with maac rules and then some ask our zone director. he was there monitoring it both days.

Last edited by YoungestPiperCub; 10-07-2011 at 08:31 AM.
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #56
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6

From the ad:

I have been flying various RC planes for just over 10 years now. I am also working on my real pilot's license

Now there's a dangerous combination. Two entirely different things with little relationship to the other being used to support his claim to fame and ability. Might impress the rubes though.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #57
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

I think that it needs to be also pointed out that just because a person is elected director of whatever (not necessarily MAAC) that as a volunteer it's silly to expect them to know and enforce all of the rules. It's also egregious to expect people to volunteer their time to instruct freely without compensation.

It doesn't happen with referees in hockey, umpires in ball or judges in archery. All have a right to some compensation and it is given to them. Same with swimming. No pay for pay for passing on skills? Interesting concept.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #58
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCUb View Post
There is a guy near us looking at selling RC airplane lessons.

As you all would probably agree this really is not a good thing.

Link here

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-service...AdIdZ317138816

Is there anything that can be done to notify people this is dangerous and they can get training for free at a local field
In my original quote I asked 1 thing. Is there anything that can be done to notify him this is dangerous,

For those that said it is unlikely that anyone will get hurt you are correct but it does not mean that it cannot happen. The girl who was butchered by a parkflyer heli, did not receive any compensation or medical expenses paid because the "pilot" did not have any form of insurance.

If this was your daughter, wife, mother or any other person how would you feel?

I am all for free enterprise, and I don't see anything wrong with someone being paid to teach. Hell, I wish I was being paid to teach!

1st RC Flight school is a fantastic way to learn and it is a paid service. The difference is Dave Scott the owner has his own insurance coverage and flying area. But people who are doing things illegally (he is breaking city bylaws) and not taking into consideration legal ramifications and insurance is not OK. (My opinion)

I never mentioned what MAAC should do about this I asked what I could do to notify others about these issues. I also realize not everyone who flies has MAAC and there is no way to control this. I was simply asking what could be done to notify the general public that if something were to happen they could potentially be on the hook legally. I am sure many of the people who would have signed up would think twice.

Unfortunately history has showed us that when people who fly without insurance have a problem the first people that feel it are those with insurance.

Case in point - we lost park flying privileges after that incident. We now pay insurance on our cars in case the other doesn't have it.

If we never act before incidents could happen, it will be us that pay the bigger price later.
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #59
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieo View Post
Surprising comment from a former MAAC director/MAAC endorser?.......hmmmmmmmmm
Just facts dude.
Only surprising to those who were working from a set of incorrect assumptions.

Cheers
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #60
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCUb View Post
In my original quote I asked 1 thing. Is there anything that can be done to notify him this is dangerous,
ramifications and insurance .
........ah, maybe go talk to him?

Maybe too radical?

Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in