Triton Tips - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
aubej
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason A.

Total Props: 5
Triton Tips

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all.

I got a Triton a while back and have had really good success charging NiCads and LiPos. I recently bought some 1800 mah 6V Nimh packs for my 28% Edge and after my initial break-in charge on my multi-charger, I was having problems getting the packs to charge properly on the Triton.
I kept getting false peaking and the packs would never reach proper capacity. I did a little research and here is what I found:

As stated above, a nimh pack needs a break in charge. I like to use my multi-charger on a simple timer. For the initial charge, I like to charge to 1.6 times capacity at a C/10 (or as close as possible) rate. This means that for the 1800 mah pack at a rate of 180 ma, you would need to charge for 16 hours. (1800 / 180) * 1.6 = 16 hours
I actually used the 250ma setting so I charged for 11.5 hours.

After my initial break-in charge, I cycled my packs on the Triton. I couldn't get the pack above the 1000mah mark. After reading the instructions (always a last resort) I noticed that the Nimh charge config has a 'max input current' setting that defaults to 1000ma. Ok, so sometimes reading the manual before using a product can be useful.

I changed this value and still had problems getting a decent charge into my nimh packs. After some more research on the net, I tried a few things that have really helped out.

1 - Shortened the charge lead substantially. My lead is now approx. 7~8 inches long.

2 - I used 14 gauge wire and gold plated banana jacks. Not sure how much the gold plated jacks helped out, but that's all Radio Shack had so that's what I got.

3 - The last thing I did was change the value of the Nimh peak sensitivity. I moved it up from 3mV to 9mV and am currently trying 12mV to see what will happen.

With these changes, I got above 95% capacity charge in my packs.

I was getting frustrated with the Triton, but after some careful research and a little trial and error, I am starting to like it more and more. I like that you can change the configuration.

Hope this helps out any other Triton users out there.

Feel free to add to these tips.

Jason
aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
This is very helpful info.
I was having the same problems, and was beginning to experiment with the settings.
Good to see that I am not alone!

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:41 PM   #3
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
Charging NIMh batteries

Good info guys! I was wondering about charging my new 2100 6 volt NimH batteries. I don't have a regular charger that has the proper output for these, and I was wondering about using my Hobbico MkII charger set at 200ma for the initial charge. I read on Red's Battery clinic that you should charge these batteries at C10 (1/10th the capacity) for 12-14 hrs before trying any quick charging.

Is there a problem using the MKII for such a long time?
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-20-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
aubej
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason A.

Total Props: 5
Re: Charging NIMh batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEE
Is there a problem using the MKII for such a long time?
No problem using it for that long of a time if there is no peak detection. On a new pack, you'll need to be able to run it for the entire charge to break it in. A peak charger will not let it go the entire charge.

Jason
aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:23 PM   #5
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49
Hey, good tips Jason. The Triton is a learning experience for me too. I think because all the chargers I used previuosly were just plug em and forget em, and now the Triton has all these values to set and well I don't do much owners manual reading either. So, it's a learning experience with the Triton and at the same time we learn more about the batteries we use. At least I think I know know a bit more about batteries. That peak sensitivity setting is a mysterious. I wasn't sure either so I started moving it lower to gain a better charge but now I see you move yours higher, ok I will try that too. The charger sure works well on my lipos, no complaint at all.

Frank
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:45 AM   #6
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bob H

Total Props: 1
NiMH forming

To "form" or "break in" your NiMh I find it much easier to simply use the "regular" RX charger ( the "wall-wart" ) as supplied with my R/C system. Typically these chargers have an output current of "about" 50ma to 100ma. Read the label on the wall-wart.

Simply do the math for your "x1.6" capacity of your new NiMh pack and leave the new pack on charge for this period of time.

I use 1650ma packs on my receivers.

A 1650ma pack X1.6 ( =2640) on a 100ma charger would charge for 26.5 hours. the same pack on a 50ma charger would charge for 52.8 hours. 1 day first scenario, 2 days second scenario. I don't see this as a big deal ??

Charge to the calculated number of hours. then do a discharge on your Triton ( for cycling purposes) to see how many mils your pack provided on that charge.

Re-charge the pack on the R/C system charger ( the "wall-wart" )

After your pack is "formed" DO NOT charge your packs over capacity "C" , better yet, at a lower capacity than "C"

For my 1650ma packs I use the "1.4" formula and adjust my Triton and Dymond chargers to 2300ma capacity pack and set the charger rate at 1000ma ( 1 amp).
Old 05-21-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9
6 volt packs

Thanks for the info guys Does the fact that the packs I have are 6 volt matter for the charger output? If not, then why do I have a 4.8 and a six volt setting on my quick charger? In other words, If I use my wall charger at 120ma on my 2100 mah packs (which are 6 volt packs) shouldn't the time to fully charge be longer than the calculated values given by others, since the charger (Ace Chargemaster-still going strong after 15 years!!) was built with 4,8volt cells in mind?
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in