can a 25cc two-cycle engine be converted from a weed trimmer - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
WhoFan
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: JuanB

Total Props: 0
can a 25cc two-cycle engine be converted from a weed trimmer

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Crappy tire has a special on this: WeedEater Feather Lite Gas Trimmer, comes with a 25cc engine and its for $90.

Not a bad deal and I can use it this summer and take it apart in the winter time, that way my wife can't complain on be buying this this to just take it a part.

Would it be worth it? could it be used on a future R/C airplane? is 25cc ok or is going for a know brand better with more cc's.

The link
http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/...0_CC_31967.jpg
WhoFan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I am not sure but if you have a Princess Auto near your location my advise would be to get one of there Poulan's. Reconditioned up to 42cc for $80. Check the model numbers as they will have a 42 in it. The one I have has been run but very little. The larger size will let you go bigger for airframe and probably the same or lighter weight.
John
Old 04-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
WhoFan
RCC Junior Contributor

42cc's here I come :)

Yeah, thanks for the advice, and I do have a PA near me.

CHAINSAW ENGINE
$ 79.99

• Reconditioned motor originally from a chainsaw
• Features chain brake
• Simply add a bar and chain to make your own chainsaw (not included)
• Great hobby motor
• Made by Poulan

Cool, so no rush, they will always have a deal like that in the future. But I still need a trimmer though ??? - hm...

Old 04-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6
Back in the "bad Old Days", the whole giant scale thing got started by using economical weed whacker and cahinsaw engines convereted for aircarft use.

Things have progressed considerably since then. You know, the usual horsepower race, min's bigger than yours and better too and all that sort of thing.

So it all depends on what you expect that engine to do. Sure, it will still fly a lot of planes, just like they used to. But don't expect the performance of a current, state of the art mill.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
WhoFan
RCC Junior Contributor

True, I know that an engine made to do something specific will work better than an engine that's is being used for something it wasn't really ment to do.

Then there is the cost factor. A real gas engine for a plane is $$$$$ and a converted engine from a tool is way less and you still use it for was it was build for and then take it apart and play with it.

Like cars. you want performance, you need $$, you want to drive a car from A to B, with out burning tires, is way less.

My 2¢'s
Old 04-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

A lot of the gas engines where conversions before manufacturer's started making them for models or anything else. Most of the changes where bearing support, ignition and a few other things. Most of the time the cylinders(jug) and pistons where the same and the crank parts where modified or made new. One part comes to mind is going from 2 bearings to better quality 3 bearings for support. Then they made electronic ignition which you can vary the timing for advance or retard. With variable advance built in you get easier starting and also higher top end. A larger carb also gave you more air along with the fuel for more power.
Chain saw engines are a good example but they are built for work and supposedly a long life. They are also easy to modify and if its a good brand parts can be come by for hopping up. Check the guy's in the lumberjack competions. The rpm's with that chain scares me more than a prop.
John
Old 04-14-2006, 06:15 AM   #7
nomads

25cc Gas Engine

Check this review out -- 25cc Brillelli GT gasser for US$ 165 + shipping.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=688

It hardly seems worthwhile to go to all the trouble and cost of modifying a weed whacker or chainsaw engine, and maybe ending up with something that vibrates more than you'd like, when you can get a dedicated RC engine for that price.

Cheers! Bill
nomads is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

In my case my cost is zip and I like making things. I have 4 modified and 5 in a box to work on. If they don't turn out to my liking then they will be parts but havn't got to that yet. I have taken 2 engines converted to a twin for 60cc's and requires ignition but that's another topic.
I get a lot of satifaction when I fire a mod up that I converted and if it keeps up I will be in the give-a-way mode soon. Will see what comes from the boys at the landfill as it is spring.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in