Diesel - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
tractorboy30

Total Props: 0
Diesel

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi I just got a diesel engine not sure what size or make it is but it has a 6.4 prop on it. Now first off is how do I start it?????? it has no carb on it so it would be for a control line flight wich I have a plane for it. (when I get it built) there is a place to put a fuel line on it and a air fuel adjustment. well I think that is what it is. So any of you diesel guys or gals outthere could help me out with this would be great. The engine says on it is made In the USA. and it is on the backing of it. thanks Frank
tractorboy30 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
skypupnut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
picture please,
made in USA, could be a OK Cub
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
tractorboy30

Total Props: 0
sorry I can't put pics up as of now don't now how to do it yet
tractorboy30 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
skypupnut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
http://www.mecoa.com/museum/archive1.html
look under OK cub could be .049 or .075
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Dave Larkin
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: David L

Total Props: 7
If it is American and has a 6 X 4 prop then it is probably a McCoy 049 or an OK Cub 049. Red Head - Mc Coy.

If you were brought up on glow engines, you will have some bad habits to unlearn before you succeed with diesels.

Fuel - don't use automotive diesel! Fuel should be a variation on equal parts kerosene, ether and castor oil plus 2% Amyl Nitrate. You get fuel from Davis, or from Eric Clutton or Red Max. Use the fuel with the most oil. There are some with low oil for ballbearing engines.

Put drop of fuel in the carb, do not hook up fuel line from tank. back off the compression and turn the engine over a few times. Then flick, but be careful not to use excessive force. Diesels have high compression and, if flooded, will break.

Put a drop of fuel on the piston side with the piston closing the exhaust gap. Turn over slowly, then keep flicking as you advance the compression. You should find the point at which it will fire and run a short burst. When you find that hokup the fuel line to the tank, but close down the needle (mixture) valve. Repeat the prime procedure each time opening the needle about 1/4 turn, until the engine runs.

If you send me your postal address, I can send you a booklet with more info.

Change the prop to a 7 X 4. Use an old Tornado or Top Flite nylon prop if you can find one. Old engines are not necessarily strong enough to take a bang from a composite prop. If you stay with the 6 X 4, you will probably get your knuckles rapped.

If the engine is lacking in compression, it may need a new 'O' ring for the contra piston.

Dave Larkin
I've been using diesels since 1950.
Dave Larkin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in