Final word on FRCC Mag? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #11
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had a subscription and really don't care about the value of the unfilled issues but I don't quite agree with some of the comments above. When you are asked to support a venture either through a subscription, contributed material or whatever, you should reasonably expect that the business owner had a viable plan. I don't know how much capital Dean invested in this (nor do I really care) but judging by how the issues rolled out he had problems after the second issue. Dean never gave the thing a chance and it died; those with subscriptions paid...

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
The dollar cost to me is meaningless. I do not accept the comparison with an investor. I was not an investor. I would never have shared in any profits. If I had been approached as a possible investor with all that that implies then I would have no complaints. I was an honest subscriber who paid my money.

Those that are critical of the disgruntled subscribers are missing the point. The next time somebody starts up a hobby related venture and offers subscriptions does anybody think there will be a rush to support it? Not a chance, the comment will be "Oh yeah, I remember the last time". This type of failed venture does irreparable damage to future entrepreneurs.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Well, many modelers who sent in their subscription renewals to RCM in the month or two before it folded lost their $$ too. And that was a long standing mag with a good history.

Is that to say now I wont renew my subscription to any model magazine in fear of them going under?

Model Builder was another case that just closed up without notice.

It has happened, and will happen. I doubt any magazine has a savings account set up to reimburse subscribers.

That being said I would support another Canadian RC magazine if someone else wants to give it a go. But its not very likely.

Dean I know had some issues with photography and layout that set him back. More issues with advertisments that were not being paid. I spoke to him enough and in my judgement (yes, its only my own opinion of his character from our many conversations) he was really trying hard but had a few major setbacks he couldnt recover from.

Like I said, it sucks to see that happen to anyone.

I dont mean to argue or turn this into anything, but I am just voicing my own opinion.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
I liked the magazine myself...was well done. I'm just upset that it got cancelled after a couple issues without as much as a notice anywhere...especially when it had so many friends here that believed it would work out...most respectful business people always mention that they are going out of business ahead and give a reason ( too busy, retirement, etc)...how many people paid and never even got their first issue? At least I got a couple. Both Andrew and Ed have legitimate statements.

Ron
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:08 AM   #15
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieo
I liked the magazine myself...was well done. I'm just upset that it got cancelled after a couple issues without as much as a notice anywhere...especially when it had so many friends here that believed it would work out...most respectful business people always mention that they are going out of business ahead and give a reason ( too busy, retirement, etc)...how many people paid and never even got their first issue? At least I got a couple. Both Andrew and Ed have legitimate statements.

Ron
All statements are "legitimate", you just happen to agree with theirs.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #16
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Sorry Terry... shoulda said "valid" statements
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #17
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
Quote:
I'm just upset that it got cancelled after a couple issues without as much as a notice anywhere...
Exactly.

It must be remembered that the proprietors of this magazine came to this site canvassing for support which they got. The project failed and I fully understand this happens. The very least those same proprietors should have done is to return here and offer a short explanation and thank all those that supported them. That I could accept. To totally ignore those that supported them is ignorance and bad manners.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #18
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Smith
Quote:
I'm just upset that it got cancelled after a couple issues without as much as a notice anywhere...
Exactly.

It must be remembered that the proprietors of this magazine came to this site canvassing for support which they got. The project failed and I fully understand this happens. The very least those same proprietors should have done is to return here and offer a short explanation and thank all those that supported them. That I could accept. To totally ignore those that supported them is ignorance and bad manners.

Ed S
Yes, I can agree with that. If indeed the magazine is defunct I think it would be nice of Dean to at least make a statement to that effect. AT this point it is really just assumed (and probably a good asumption seeing as how long its been since the last issue).

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #19
JimMoss
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
Like Andrew I have done a couple reviews for the magazine (unpublished, but done).

I was speaking to Dean a couple weeks ago to see what was up .... he has had some money issues he is trying to work out, that is why no more issues have come out, he is working on some strategies to get some funding to get the magazine running again.

I definitely understand why people are getting discouraged though and agree there should be explanation posted by Dean.

I think he just doesn't want to admit that he is trouble getting the money together ... that may be the reason for no explanation.

I am behind Dean 100 % because I definitely liked the magazine.

Andrew mentioned RCM I had just renewed for 3 years before they folded so lost big bucks in comparison. I contacted RCM about a refund they said I had to write a letter saying that I wanted a refund .... took the time to do the letter and post it ... and received nothing, so I lost more time and money.

Jim
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in