DragonOSD Saved my Plane - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #11

Total Props: 57
Re: DragonOSD Saved my Plane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphil26 View Post
I have flown fpv and turbine jets. FPV is a lot safer than turbines. A 3 lb piece of foam hitting something versus a 40lb composite plane doing 200mph plus carrying 8lbs of jet fuel is like apples and oranges. Unfortunately, some people like to ruin fpv for everyone else, by chasing cars down the highway, flying near airports, etc.

Piper, could you send me a link to where you found that you need a permit to fly fpv in the states as of 2012? Thanks
I have to disagree with part of your statement. FPV is not "safer" than turbine jets.
There is no disputing that a composite jet will carry more kinetic energy than a foam airplane being used for FPV. Does that make it more dangerous, well, yes and no. I suppose it's more dangerous in the sense that a bazooka is more dangerous than a 9mm is however, it is not the aircraft that is dangerous, it is the situation that is more / less dangerous.

I personally have never seen, either in person, or on video, turbine jets being operated in any way other than direct line of site. Nor have I ever seen them being operated at a location that is not relevant to the operation of large RC models. (Yes, I've seen video's where the club fields look less than ideal, but at least it's still a proper club field).
However, I've seen countless videos of FPV flying doing exactly what you described, chasing cars, flying around buildings, near airports etc.
The problem with these "perceived" safe models, is that many people will operate them anywhere they please because they cannot (or will not) see the potential danger they can hold. A 3 pound piece of foam being operated in a park that flies into traffic can cause a fatality. Not because of the airplane itself, but because of the situation it creates.

The bottom line is, NONE of our model aircraft are dangerous really, it is the operator that makes them dangerous. I feel way better at a jet rally, or a pylon race watching high speed airplanes fly around than I do when I see some kid operating an electric helicopter in a park where I'm walking .
The issue will always lie with the operator, not the model. Unfortunately people will continue to not bother to find out the rules and regulations, or flat out ignore them when it comes to everything in life. The question is not will we become further regulated by gov't, but when?
I applaud all modelers who operate their aircraft in a safe manner at a location that is designated for operation of model aircraft. I applaud all modelers who use the proper precautions when operating their aircraft (ie: having a 2nd pilot in control of the aircraft when flying FPV who is following the airplane via line of site). Nothing is for sure, but I'd almost bet that when the day comes that we are governed harshly in this hobby by gov't, or when licensing becomes required, the cause will be those rogue fliers who refuse to understand the risks they are bringing to the hobby due to ignorance and lack of education in the hobby.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
flyboysnow
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Max Standen
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 6

ok guys i dont think we need to fight about this as all this thread was for was to show how he was saved and im with lilfil26 as look at a turbine compared to a foamie as yes i understand being close to an airport is bad annd so is street surfing but all we are trying to do is have fun like the rest of you as i am a fpv pilot and i dont like flying fpv at the club as its not fun because some people have to come alog and start saying oh thats no right or you cant fly that. well i dont come along and say you guys cant do what you want. but like me back in alberta i drive 45 min out of town away from anything and i go flying over fields with my easystar for fpv but anyways rant over.
also dont knock it till you try it!! if you want to try on august 11 mark betuzzi and i are holding a fpv demo in verno at vrcas
flyboysnow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
lilphil26
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: The cookie monster
Radio of choice:
Futaba baby!!!
# of RCs: 911

Total Props: 7

LGM i agree with you totally. Saying fpv or turbines is unsafe is totally unfair. Both can be quite safe if some simple precautions are exercised. I think people need to stop saying fpv is unsafe as like you said, it's the operator that makes it unsafe, not the principle.

Me personally, I fly over lake ontario where there is nothing to hit, as I don't chase after boats and stay low enough to be out of airspace. Worst case is I lose my plane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in