RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
moose2851
RCC Apprentice

I am: Adam Reynolds

Total Props: 0
Help Choosing!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
looking for help choosing a new plane: wing span 50 - 70" electric, nitro or gas doesn't matter. I want something very versatile meaning if I want to 3D, sport fly, glide or go fast it will.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
moose2851 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
VA6WGO
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Will
Radio of choice:
Futaba 32MZ
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 15
Re: Help Choosing!

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/70quot-AJ...d_p_15020.html

Cheers,

Will
Falcon Props
VA6WGO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
marcham
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

50-70" is a huge range ... do you have a budget? Do you have a good charger? What about lipos or an engine? Do you have the space to transport a larger aircraft? Do you have access to a good RC field with a paved runway or just grass at the local park?

What's the last plane you flew?

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like nail!
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
moose2851
RCC Apprentice

I have flown an E flite T 34 Mentor a super cub a cessna stuff like that. I am currently flying a super chipmunk with an ASP 61 2 stroke motor. I am also building a 52cc Hangar 9 Extra 260 27% that I am already losing interest in all that is left is fuel and test flights. I prefer electric but like to venture out I have a hyperion EOS0615iDUO3 DC Balance Charger. I fly a Trex 450 and 600E so batteries I am very familiar with.

As far a budget thats why I ask the question I don't want to re invent the wheel I just want to see what other guys like and make a choice from there.

We have lots of room at our club grass runway but it's decent.

The main reason I ask I want to sell all my planes and just have one that I can count on and do the most with. Thanks for the comments I hope to see more coming!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
marcham
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4

Here's my 2 votes:

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=507

or

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=409

These 2 planes have very light wing loadings, so you'll need to avoid windy days. In fact, that statement holds true for most electric 3D planes.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Shawnlh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -2

I'll second, third, and fourth the vote for 3DHS planes........Absolutely Awesome!!!!
I currently own 3 of them, and will not buy anything else. Build/hardware quality are second to none. Flying characteristics are fantastic. I've flown several other types of 3D capable planes, and I can honestly say, you can't go wrong with 3DHS!!!

BTW, do some research before you look at PA (precision aerobatics) planes. Try here www.rcgroups.com
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
marcham
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4

And a few good choices you can buy locally:

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1573.html

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=GPMA1572

Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
Shawnlh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post

Your kidding right?!?!?!?
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
mjws
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike S

The slick above is nice, but it is sure hard to find a cost effective way to get the 3dhs stuff. I just picked up the PA Extra MX, it is a decent all rounder. 58", 6s, Uber Light 3.75lbs, 1300w... nice.

The reality is one plane can't be truly exceptional in all arena's. Everything is a design choice and compromise. There are some 3D/Pattern hybrids that are close. If you wanna go fast grab a racer. For 3D it is always about power to weight and wing loading. Gliding around get a glider 3D/pattern ships aren't designed around that. Nothing will touch a purpose built pattern ship at it's game, same goes for pretty much every discipline.

If you can keep that extra you are building Light, Light, Light it is capable. Think 13lbs... The 30cc 70" gassers are coming into their own for power to weight and huckability. For pure flying, no looks, just great performance a profile can be great. OMP's fusions fly exceptionally. Google: Primo, Mojo, Sabre, SBach the modern profiles can be a TON of fun. They are so light and capable their characteristics are hard to duplicate.

One plane fits all is pretty tough. Give yourself a chance to try a few planes that are truly great designs. Try a profile or good foamy for 3D. Grab a modern pattern ship and discover how pure they fly. Then you can start to discover what truly makes you smile in an airframe's design. I promise a cessna, chipmunk, and even your extra are only scratching the surface.

I'd be done in a month if I had to stick to one airframe. Wring out your extra. Grab something like a parkmaster to throw in with the heli's and bigger stuff. I'll bet you it gets more stick time than you think. My parkmaster and acromaster have thousands and thousands of flights, and they ride with some great planes.

Mike
mjws is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
moose2851
RCC Apprentice

Thanks for the info I knew that trying to find a plane "one fits all" would be near impossible just trying to cut down on all the toys is all.

I really like the aeroworks stuff especially the 50cc edge 540 at this point still undecided. Maybe I will just try to pull the wings off the extra 260 in the mean time

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in