electric welding - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Hurri

Total Props: 0
electric welding

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
On the discusion about the movie Fly boys , someone mentioned that there was electric welding going on in one shot . He didn't think electric
welding was around in WW1 . well just looked it up on google & was invented in ---1887 . surprised me too . Learn something new every day !!!
Hurri is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
rusty33
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: dave a

flyboys

My son and I just watched Flyboys on Friday night. While not a 100% accurate representation, it certainly gave the 'feel' of the conflict from the pilot's point of view. My son is a real stickler for detail (being 11 and all ), and his only real 'complaint' with the movie was the 'girl stuff'.

I am looking forward to the next WWI movie coming out this year about der Rote Baron.
rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Hurri

electric welding

I bought the dvd "collectors edition" . have seen the 1st disc [movie] but have the "how it was made" one to see . Was disappointed that so many Fokker DR1 's all red & all the Nieuport 17's . no variation in planes flying . However was pretty good the "girl stuff" was to help sell it to the masses I guess . Excellent flying shots though .

Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
Didn't know that...

I was under the impression tha electric welding really got onto the production line in WW11, even if it was invented before the turn of the 20th. I think that little dateline could use some research alright...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Hurri

electic welding

Pity we couldn't come up with some real old mechanics /welders to tell us . I went to google "electric welding invented "& there is loads of info if one wants to wade though it . I would have thought the movie producers would have checked to see ?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
F DeWit

movie directors check?

And how many westerns have you seen where an individual manages to fire 10 + rounds out of a 6 shooter without reloading? One would think a movie director might check that too.
F DeWit is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Re: electic welding

[quote="Hurri"]Pity we couldn't come up with some real old mechanics /welders to tell us . I went to google "electric welding invented "& there is loads of info if one wants to wade though it . I would have thought the movie producers would have checked to see ?[/quote]

They probably did and thats why its in the movie. Producers spend millions of dollars on movie sets and would try to their best to make them as accurate as possible especially for all the armchair critics who I suppose feel they know better. There are some descrepencies but consider why they are there, RE my point about the radial engines. It would just be almost impossible to produce these engines just for the sake of the movie, outrageously too costly.

As I said in the FlyBoy thread, electric stick welding was in use prior to and during the first world war. I don't see what all the contraversy is all about regarding this. In the movie if you noticed, electric lights were used in most of the indoor scenes, so whats the problem immagining that they could and would use electricity for welding?

Someone also said in a previous post, he didn;t think they would have had electricity at the "Front Lines. Aerodromes were NOT at the front lines but were situated stratigically at bases well inside the front lines, which makes perfect sense since planes could easily fly to where the action was, not sitting where they could easily be bombarded by enemy artillery. So I'm very sure the producers did investigate this and put it in the movie because it was used during the first world war, and aerodromes is where the constant repair the planes required would take place.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
cf-drg
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 28
Weren't most of you guys around during WW I !!! I figured you'd be talking from experience
Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Hurri

Electric welding

in reply to cf-drg ;
You are right I was thats why i build/fly mostly WW1 stuff --- hurri
Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

You have to look around for ww2 vets. The boys are getting very scarce and hard to find. The years are catching up tp most.
We use to get a chuckle out of the old war movies especially from the south. To see a tank battle with shermans and other american armour against them was good for a laugh. But the best ones where when they had the blank firing attachments on the small arms. Even to the point they where still painted yellow. I look at the theme more than the hardware because it is very easy to pick holes in the equipment being used.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in