EDF Avro Arrow - Page 14 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #131
ca_fingers
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Talking Re: EDF Avro Arrow

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
the fhybr models arrow was 1\12 scale, it measured 50 inch span and 78 inches long. a local guy to our club built one with a kj66 at about 17 lbs thrust . i never got to see it fly but im told it was a rocket. the 1/8 scale models that doug hyslip built for the cbc mini series used 2 k&b 1.00 's . and weight almost 50 pounds iirc. john build the 1/8 scale for 2 xps dynamax's and i'll be all over one like white on rice
ca_fingers is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #132
DW_Crash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics / Aristocraft-Polks
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 3
Question Re: EDF Avro Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_fingers View Post
the fhybr models arrow was 1\12 scale, it measured 50 inch span and 78 inches long. a local guy to our club built one with a kj66 at about 17 lbs thrust . i never got to see it fly but im told it was a rocket. the 1/8 scale models that doug hyslip built for the cbc mini series used 2 k&b 1.00 's . and weight almost 50 pounds iirc. john build the 1/8 scale for 2 xps dynamax's and i'll be all over one like white on rice
SO.....something in between.......manageable size but flyable......

DW_Crash
Old 06-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #133
ca_fingers
RCC Noob

Cool Re: EDF Avro Arrow

yeah , i think 1/10 scale would be the cats ass. works out to a 60" span and 93"ish in length. good size for 18/20 pound turbine or 2 - 4.5" edf units . it would fit in an average size van OK. should be big enough to get a decent set of retracts in the wing also. damn i think i might just have to scratch build one ... now if i could persuade john to cut me some foam cores with the same airfoil that he used , id be all set.

Last edited by ca_fingers; 06-04-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #134
thedeuce
RCC Apprentice

I am: John
Radio of choice:
Aurora 9
# of RCs: 14

Re: EDF Avro Arrow

John,

Thanks for the reply, I will let you know about the arrow when I can. I thought I would share with you the one that i am finishing right now, it's 1/13 scale and a pusher. I drew up the plans myself using a 3 view and had them printed. Far from how amazing yours looks but it will do for now

Cheers,

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0824.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	108987   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0823.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	108988   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0825.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	108989  
thedeuce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #135
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

The pusher looks pretty good. I'm sure you and those watching it fly will enjoy it. I find keeping it simple is the best at times, less stress and fewer things to break down.

The reason for the 1/8th scale was to put a turbine in it. The original drawings that were lent to me were actually 1/10th and it was intended to have 2 Turbax II's but the clearance for the fans was quite tight. Also, the extra thickness in the landing gear area of the wing was needed. The foam core template for the root is about 6' long.......it's a bugger to cut.

I've been so busy with the reno jobs that I haven't had any time to finish the Arrow which is quite frustrating. Hopefully by next week I can get at the control surfaces and get them on the plane. Also, I want to get the foam one quickly thrown together and get the control surface throws figured out.

For those going to the EDF meet in Ottawa, I hope you all have a great weekend. I'll be drywalling Saturday and Sunday, can hardly wait...
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #136
thedeuce
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Aurora 9

Thanks, it is a work in progress. Have been getting a bit of pointers from Doug Heslip. He's my LHS owner here.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #137
ca_fingers
RCC Noob

hows it going John, any updates on progress? CA
Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #138
thedeuce
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Aurora 9

John,

Thought I would show you what I have so far, didn't really want to paint it before the maiden, but the weather here has been awful.

Cheers,

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0237.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	112126   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0829.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	112127  
Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #139
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Hi Guys,

That's a very clean looking model John, and it's done which is more than I can say with my project. My reno work has taken over my life it seems, but I'm getting the last items taken care of. The last two items, the fiberglass control surfaces and a access hatch on the bottom of the fuselage at the rear are designed and being fitted.

The control surfaces caused me some head scratching, until my buddy asked me if I had drill small vent holes to allow the fiberglass curing process to take place without collapsing the part. Did I feel like a dummy or what. SO now that this problem is solved and I have the hinges installed, I'll get the control surfaces glued into position tonight.

The hatch master mould has been made and will have to make yet one more mould for it. I need this hatch for several reasons, access to the main battery packs which are mounted along side the fan unit, the servo wire exit from the wings, location of the ESC and most likely the receiver battery which will also be mounted behind the fan unit. All this is due o the CG location. So the whole front of the plane is basically hollow, no formers, it's just going along for the ride. As a matter of fact, there is only one former and it is where the main spar is bonded to it. To help support the EDF unit, I might have to design a mount to screw the fan too which will be attached to the fuselage bottom. We shall see.......
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #140
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Have you ever had a summer that was so busy that you haven't had time for the hobby, well, this summer was that summer for me. Apparently, we had to renovate the kitchen, still at it too. But tonight I got into the workshop and finally got the servos installed and all hooked up, everything works great. Also, the painting is started. I even got a pilot mounted inside the cockpit, he kinda looks nervous, I know I would.

Made and installed the fan mount, very simple in design and strong. You simply assemble it outside the fuselage, mount the fan in it and the apply the goop adhesive, fit the whole works into the fuselage, aligning it with the thrust tube and let it cure, perfect alignment every time.

I tested the power system in my Banshee ll and with the new Mega motor on 7 - 5000 mah cells it produced 2025 watts of power at only 78 amps, nothing got hot, only slightly warm. I'll be using 4500 mah batteries instead of the 5000's due to being slightly smaller and lighter but they have a higher C rating, up to 90C.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3838.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	120602   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3953.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	120603  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in